Rogaine Foam - Shed on one side of my temple (regrowing blonde hair and I have brown

Peterbark666

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here and I am hoping for some encouraging feedback however I would like honesty too.

I have receding hair line and bit of thinning on top and started Rogaine foam in December. I experienced a horrendous shed in January and was very depressed. Fortunately this hair grew back about a month or two later and is now thicker than what it was prior to treatment. Only in the past 2 weeks (3.5 -4 months after starting initial treatment) I recently had my first haircut since treatment started and I have found that my right temple is now thinning like crazy. There does seem to be new hair growing but it is blonde in colour, very thin and weak looking and almost transparent. I am a Norwood 2-3 and it’s weird that this is only occurring on one side of my temple.

1) Will this be like other sheds and I just need to ride it out?

2) Do these blonde hairs become thicker (the hair that shed was certainly thicker and more dense then what I have now)?

3) Would you recommend dying this light coloured hair to make it look more thick.

I’m still going to keep up treatment as I’m t0o scared to leave it and experience a mass shed but hoping you guys can offer advice on this.

C’mon guys I know I’m new to the site but I’m really hoping for some feedback. I have found that my temples have lost a lot of ground and my crown and vertex areas (which were dark and not to bad are now virtually patchy and thinned out). I’m going to see a doctor about this next week but just want to know if others have experienced a shed like this so close to four months into treatment. The immediate front part of my hair is thick with temples thinning and only regrowing this peach fuzz.

Yes I was thinning out a tiny bit but Rogaine foam has stripped so much hair from me I feel like it is now blatantly obvious and as I’m sure you guys all understand it is effecting my self-confidence which then starts to impact other areas of my life such as relationships and professional life. I’m actually hoping for some positive news here like some happy endings people who went through this and came out the other end by sticking with it and these peach fuzz hairs thickening up and going darker in pigmentation.

The mixed messages in the world of hairloss treatments is so frustrating. I find I have spent hours looking up the same questions only to get different answers from everyone.

The best thing to do is ride it out and stick with it. Take photos at least once a month.

Here's my result:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/169232-rogaine-regaine-foam-result.html

It didn't do too much in the hairline other than start some fine hairs growing. However, as you can see it has worked better further back.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Hello Peter,

Well I'm norwood 4.. So no need to get so worried about it what people will think or it will effect your live as you will get used to it. And yes I'm using Rogaine foam and i'm on my 3rd bottle (can) right now and yes it did stop my shed completely but all of sudden my hairfall has started again and i noticed usually its fine or small in length hair compared to my normal hair length.. I believe its normal and it will get better with time. Its a long fight against hair loss. Keep hope and stick to your routine.

Btw I also use Hair Max laser comb & have Propecia 1mg once a week.

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here and I am hoping for some encouraging feedback however I would like honesty too.

I have receding hair line and bit of thinning on top and started Rogaine foam in December. I experienced a horrendous shed in January and was very depressed. Fortunately this hair grew back about a month or two later and is now thicker than what it was prior to treatment. Only in the past 2 weeks (3.5 -4 months after starting initial treatment) I recently had my first haircut since treatment started and I have found that my right temple is now thinning like crazy. There does seem to be new hair growing but it is blonde in colour, very thin and weak looking and almost transparent. I am a Norwood 2-3 and it’s weird that this is only occurring on one side of my temple.

1) Will this be like other sheds and I just need to ride it out?

2) Do these blonde hairs become thicker (the hair that shed was certainly thicker and more dense then what I have now)?

3) Would you recommend dying this light coloured hair to make it look more thick.

I’m still going to keep up treatment as I’m t0o scared to leave it and experience a mass shed but hoping you guys can offer advice on this.

Hello Peter,

If a person is gettign an adverse effect from any medication prescribed or over the counter they should STOP IT IMMEDIATELY! No you may get contradictory responses but I am unequivocal im this response. DON"t WAIT IT OUT that makes no sense. Consult with a dermaotogist or better and HT surgeon ... I work as a patient advocate and I dont care where you are in the world I know our medical director will consult with you throughly online at no charge. It is ludicrous to endure and adverse effect from any medication in hopes of a cosmetic advantage.

I do empathize with hair loss or I would not do the work that I do. All the Best, Michael

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

Thanks for your feedback Matt.

Did you shed on your third month?

I didn't really notice any shedding. I think I may have gone through one in the last 3 months. Perhaps a 'seasonal shed'.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Thanks Matt and Michael.

Michael. I am in Sydney Australia. Do u have a consultant here. I do not want to go down the path of hair transplant however would be willing to have a chat to him or her. I can surely say that I have shed a phenominal amount.of.hair.on the foam.but.didn't shed on the liquid. My greatest.fear.as.that this hair won't.grow.back as it was.healthy thick hair before..

Hopefully u can.see.the attachment.

IMAG0499.jpg.ba8575a701ad1c5169757342216aaeeb.jpg

Thanks Matt and Michael.

Michael. I am in Sydney Australia. Do u have a consultant here. I do not want to go down the path of hair transplant however would be willing to have a chat to him or her. I can surely say that I have shed a phenominal amount.of.hair.on the foam.but.didn't shed on the liquid. My greatest.fear.as.that this hair won't.grow.back as it was.healthy thick hair before..

Hopefully u can.see.the attachment.

Hello Peter,

We consult all over the world and have had clients from virtually every continent minus the poles. An online consult gives you access to many of the HTN's recommended doctors.

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

Peter,

Minoxidil is normally associated with a shedding phase for the first 3-4 months. The "blonde" hairs you're seeing in the temple area sound like vellus hair. This may be regrowth from hair shed on minoxidil, but it may also be hair affected by genetic hair loss. What's more, minoxidil has debatable effectiveness in the frontal scalp, hairline, and temple areas, so it's possible that you could be losing more hair in the frontal area while using the minoxidil.

Like Michael James said, a consultation with a hair restoration physician would likely be a good idea.

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.