This 37 year old gentleman presented with Norwood Class 5 Male Pattern Baldness in May of 2012, requesting surgical hair restoration. We discussed several options but because of his complexion, hair color and coarseness, we carefully chose a conservative design consisting of #1000 densely packed single hair grafts to the hairline and #1917 follicular units more posterior. The results shown are at 10 months. The final, tightly cropped photo (as well as the intra operative and marked photos) illustrate a recreated, natural, blended hairline-the result of both preserving his native frontal forelock as well as carefully supplementing it with ultra fine grafts.

DSC_3659.jpg.873ff1b18f2eb9127e5c241400cbf27f.jpg

DSC_3679.jpg.66cee8a8c081e5dddb719ae5cab22481.jpg

DSC_3681.jpg.910ca5f8fb1c01f51d070230ac957ca8.jpg

DSC_3680.jpg.b1789d0a1117b8d80a4bb3f853f8c7fd.jpg

DSC_3666.jpg.b31ba612ea5ba9ee56539d82fb8beccb.jpg

DSC_3688.jpg.c7b8791956e35c78b61d16d42d0fea94.jpg

DSC_3694.jpg.278772e3144225dad5bb3a8425c44e6b.jpg

DSC_5137.jpg.fa21927eba85ebf9f7e863864e4ea5f2.jpg

DSC_5135.jpg.b6f14edd96ef5a40c62b510774f4a038.jpg

DSC_5145.jpg.a410b9f3d116a645d37bf2c58acbf949.jpg

DSC_5148.jpg.5df3dbab4c0bafea477035977b4f8e39.jpg

DSC_5150.jpg.574102f3817aee61c5ed8d6c431da905.jpg

DSC_5151.jpg.6114e438c7d73d4e1ca2d6fa2a735b2b.jpg

Dr. John Frank is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

A nice change. I bet he's happy.

Maybe with a second session he can fill in those temples just a touch more.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

GNX1

I disagree. This is a great example of a conservative design to stand the test of time. If he stopped now he would not look strange later.

what makes you think he would look strange later?:confused: a lot of people start out with far more then this when getting a HT to begin with so I disagree..... the temples are too high and he will need another HT to complete his HT restoration. the purpose of a HT is to restore your look not look LESS bald then then you did to begin with. he needs another 1500 grafts.

H&W and many other clinics can and would complete a HT in one session. this HT is not complete.

DSC_3688.jpg.9f24b1c844a2eaa6a1ea4c8e732f3143.jpg

DSC_5145.jpg.d79f2035df4eae9bc97cfd7eaba262aa.jpg

"the purpose of a HT is to restore your look not look LESS bald then then you did to begin with. he needs another 1500 grafts."

IMO, the purpose of a HT is for the patient to feel better about themselves. I'll bet this guy has far more confidence now than pre-op. It's all subjective. Nice work Dr. Frank. It's good to see another HT doc doing quality work in NYC. You also have a pretty fascinating background. **Turns out Dr. Frank owns 2 Superbowl rings from his days as a TE for the 49ers!

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

what makes you think he would look strange later?:confused: a lot of people start out with far more then this when getting a HT to begin with so I disagree..... the temples are too high and he will need another HT to complete his HT restoration. the purpose of a HT is to restore your look not look LESS bald then then you did to begin with. he needs another 1500 grafts.

H&W and many other clinics can and would complete a HT in one session. this HT is not complete.

I have to disagree. I think it looks good, and mature. This is the look some people go for. If I were in that guys shoes when I started I would have considered a very similar hair line. His goals could have been not to look shockingly different.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I think this represents a nice albeit conservative transformation for this gentleman. Not everyone would be satisfied with such a high hairline but it is certainly natural and a vast improvement from where he started.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

• 2 weeks later...

With all due respect, I am not sure what those who think the temples and hairline are "High" are looking at. Are they conservative, maybe but totally appropriate for his age and features. I think we get spoiled on here sometimes with those dense packed front third cases on a 30 year old NW 2/3 :)

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

With all due respect, I am not sure what those who think the temples and hairline are "High" are looking at. Are they conservative, maybe but totally appropriate for his age and features. I think we get spoiled on here sometimes with those dense packed front third cases on a 30 year old NW 2/3 :)
what makes you think a guy in his late 30's or even 40's cant have his temples filled in when getting a HT? this guy is far worse off then this patient and his temples are filled in just fine as they should be.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/168384-3100-grafts-repair-job-dr-umar.html

and he had his first HT in the 80's so I think we can assume he is in his mid to late 40's if not older by now. he's no NW 2/3 either. he is a NW 6/7.

I am not saying even a 70 year old should not get their temples filled in if it makes sense. However, if a result looks natural and good then why throw more grafts at the temples when they can be saved for future loss. The additional grafts would make it look better but by how much really? If he throws another 1500 into the temples and that crown really opens up down the road, then he will look back on these pics and wish he stayed with this hairline and temples. Its all a matter of the amount of risk you are willing to take as well as your age, characteristic, etc. If he was ensured not to progress further, then yes, I agree 1500 more would look somewhat better.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

what does future loss mean? he has already lost the hair from his temples therefore they should be filled in when having a HT.

you ask how much better would he look? he would look as tho he restored his hairline vs. leaving out an area that is obviously visible from the front and an indication that he is balding.

the whole point of a HT is give the illusion that you are no longer bald. that illusion was not accomplished here and if money was the issue then the doctor should have told him to save up more money cause your going to need more then a couple thousand grafts to address your hair loss.

im not saying there isnt an improvement here. there obviously is but filling in ones crown for example and leaving out other vital more visible frontal areas would also result in an improvement but not the improvement most are searching for.

if the guy was a NW 6/7 and was limited in donor hair then sometimes that the best ur gonna due unless you go FUE and harvest beard/body hairs. that is not the case here.

Thank you for the comments about the height of the hairline, it is truly important to understand all of the options. It is reassuring that most of the comments are favorable, however dissenting views are also necessary as it forces people to keep an open mind-especially when it comes to the artistry. So I appreciate it.

There are some particular things about him though to report. Firstly, I must say he is ecstatic about his results. The day we showed him these follow up photos, he was literally overcome with joy and invited our office to a social event he was hosting in New York. I knew he would be satisfied with the hair transplant when we started the process, but I never imagined he was going to be this gratified. Originally as we discussed the hairline and the temples, he felt like this current placement was optimum. He understood that it is certainly easier to add grafts forward in the future, rather than the opposite and try to raise an unnaturally low hair line.

Even if his donor (and his finances) permitted us to use an additional 1500 grafts originally (ie 4500 grafts), we still would have needed to decide upon the intelligent placement, as the top of his head and crown are already showing advanced thinning. So it was our decision to densely pack- over as narrow a surface area as possible. This maximized density and undetectability

Moving forward, we will certainly give the option of moving the temples forward versus filling in the crown, versus adding more density just behind what we have already placed (or all of the above!). As a seasoned hair transplant surgeon, it is always my job (within reason) to deliver what the patient wants. But we welcome all future comments regarding this or any case.

DSC_3671.jpg.217eb798295291b16409ad6dc746165c.jpg

DSC_3678.jpg.a96fc695920944993534880b10f7020e.jpg

DSC_5144.jpg.c56c19fd37de7e8b7605ec87e13721e5.jpg

Dr. John Frank is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

I agree that a HT is all about accomplishing the goals of the patient so long as they are reasonable and achieveable, and it incorporates a long term plan for further loss, all of which was accomplished here.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1