Dr Cooley 2,612 grafts hairline 5 months

The patient is in his early forties with 3A loss. We performed 2,612 FU grafts (1-417, 2-1,336, 3-716, 4-143; 5,809 hairs). We simultaneously performed PRP+ACell treatment and used ACell on the grafts. He used a post operative spray we helped develop containing liposomal ATP. He returned at five and half months for a check, demonstrating early robust growth. Not all patients grow in at this rate but we are seeing more of them with our enhanced protocol. The post op ATP provides the grafts needed energy until the capillaries are formed around day 5. The transplanted hairs measured about 5 cm, indicating no telogen delay.

1.jpg.e7cf269fbf76c239f74f57e3973872c4.jpg

2.jpg.c522ffeb9f29d5af722c40593371ad16.jpg

3.jpg.c5f50079afbe4055bca6fc85fab22033.jpg

4.jpg.0be9116f4acba03b1a504610eae90e61.jpg

5.jpg.cbf777474997ae58d185f58d22ff14ec.jpg

6.jpg.eb347a9bdfaa06d36abaf8d798fd25b4.jpg

7.jpg.683980999dbfde34728fd0f04a4825b0.jpg

8.jpg.1e0fb03ef36a60ff6376a9ce804c849e.jpg

5b32d723728de_9copy.jpg.40b58025899df19facdf9c2d455a0488.jpg

10.jpg.afa6ba1b33e0e71e4d04527cd07c25c7.jpg

11.jpg.a95f0cb0150dc38f99246eadbb288437.jpg

What I'm saying is that the anagen growth phase continued without a 3 month telogen delay. We can classify hair regrowth after a transplant according to when we see the hair growing:

1. Immediate growth: no shedding

2. Immediate growth with distal hair shaft narrowing (Pohl Pinkus hairs)

3. Early growth: shedding followed by immediate regrowth (no telogen); 3-6 weeks

4. Telogen delay (standard result): shedding, 3 month delay, then regrowth;

5. Delayed growth: shedding, delayed anagen 4-8 months

This patient had #3. Obviously, the earlier the better!

Wow, Dr. Cooley! This fellow looks great. Not only is that beautiful hairline work, but that's some of the best 5-month growth I've seen. Your "magic juice" seems to have really made a difference.

I agree with SBT; Dr. Cooley's new protocol would be a huge breakthrough in the HT industry if it proved to be consistent. Nice work doc!

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Great work doc. Very impressive. The HT is impressive, as is your continuous research in the field.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

How does Acell work? Are there any studies to show its effectiveness?

Please see my recent update on ACell in the Hair Loss Q&A blog. Performing full scale blinded, controlled studies on agents that might improve hair transplant results is exceedingly difficult if not impossible. To prove something is helping and that this result did not occur by chance, you need to study 50-100 patients with a split scalp design, and follow these patients carefully with good photographs and hair counts. Virtually no clinic could do this, and would you want to be one of these study patients where one half of your transplant came out looking different than the other half?

Nevertheless, we can adopt practices and techniques that are safe and scientifically sound and begin reporting our clinical observations. This is what I have done over the years with holding solutions like HypoThermosol, PRP, ACell, and liposomal ATP. Other physicians who have also began using these are reporting improvements similar to mine. Although this is not scientific, this is exactly how progress in our field has occurred.

Regarding ACell, I have used it for the last four years and noted consistent benefits with: reduced fibrosis (micro scarring) of the recipient skin, increased angiogenesis, and more robust looking graft growth. As an example of this, the attached photos show two FUE sites: one treated with ACell, the other not treated (control). When a vasodilator was applied to the skin to make the capillaries appear, the ACell treated side has numerous healthy capillaries whereas the control does not. What this means is that whether we are talking about ACell treated donor strip scars, FUE sites, or the grafted area and recipient skin, there will be more healthy blood flow and decreased fibrosis with the use of ACell, and this is a permanent effect, as proven with these photos 2 years after the surgery. It may be a subtle effect, but it is one more thing we can do to optimize our results and ensure that future transplants will be just as successful.

Regarding ATP, this is a natural compound that is the energy source for cells. We need oxygen and glucose so our cells can make ATP, which then serves as the fuel for everything that goes on in the cell. Because hair follicle grafts lack their own blood supply for several days after a hair transplant, they have to absorb oxygen from a distance. If they don't get enough, they won't survive. By having my patients apply post op ATP, I have seen more consistent, and early growth. It is a special liposomal formula. I have been working with a company which has been developing this product and it will soon be on the market so other physicians and their patients can use it as well.

5b32d726e316f_control2yrscopy.jpg.a3e192379c63e80657e80f345c28b2a4.jpg

5b32d72715873_acell2yrscopy.jpg.27303ec3a322db7705c68f33a73b0c43.jpg

Edited by David - TakingThePlunge

This is a beautiful hairline and fabulous early growth. Dr. Cooley is to be commended for his creativity and commitment to advancing the science of hair transplantation with the use of innovative modalities that appear to help nourish grafts and enhance follicle growth.

thnks doc , for taking time out of ur busy schedule to answer our questions, this is the first time ive ever heard of this post op spray that contains liposomal atp, how many patients have used it,and out of these how many had early growth, to think that the ugly duckling phase can be reduced from 3 months to 3 weeks would be incredible. any other clincs going to use this or is it to early to tell

thnks doc , for taking time out of ur busy schedule to answer our questions, this is the first time ive ever heard of this post op spray that contains liposomal atp, how many patients have used it,and out of these how many had early growth, to think that the ugly duckling phase can be reduced from 3 months to 3 weeks would be incredible. any other clincs going to use this or is it to early to tell

I wish the early growth was a sure thing but it is not. We definitely see more patients now with early growth but there are so many variables determining early growth and final graft survival that there is no way a post op spray could guarantee a particular outcome. But because post op oxygen/ATP is a major variable, I consider the liposomal ATP a major advance.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Dr. Cooley,

This is a very impressive result!

Mustard, here is a link to the Q&A Blog Dr. Cooley references above.

Updates on Hair Duplication (AutoCloning) and ACell: Hope For a Hair Loss Cure – By Dr. Jerry Cooley

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

• 2 weeks later...

Dr. Cooley,

Nice work. Do you now advise your patients to undertake PRP+ Acell during their HT procedure and if so, please feel free to share more of your observations.

In addition, do you beleive oral Collagen Suppliments with low dalton weight will have a positive imapact on the results of a HT? In terms of more naturalnesss and robustness of the grafts?

Last but not least, have you had PRP&ACELL perfromed on yourself.

Thank you,

Dr. Cooley,

Nice work. Do you now advise your patients to undertake PRP+ Acell during their HT procedure and if so, please feel free to share more of your observations.

In addition, do you beleive oral Collagen Suppliments with low dalton weight will have a positive imapact on the results of a HT? In terms of more naturalnesss and robustness of the grafts?

Last but not least, have you had PRP&ACELL perfromed on yourself.

Thank you,

We now offer and recommend PRP/ACell to anyone undergoing a hair transplant with us who has significant areas of thinning (miniaturization), either in the area to be transplanted or elsewhere. In other words, the purpose is to thicken thinning hair, not necessarily beef up the results of the transplant (for which we use ACell on the grafts, and liposomal ATP as a post op spray). My observations were summarized in the update (link provided by Taking The Plunge). In short, we find that on average, we can expect moderate hair thickening in those with significant miniaturization; some get better than average results, some get less than average. I think the degree and duration of benefit likely depends on 2 factors: underlying genetic programming, and what medical maintenance treatments are in place (i.e. better if the patient is on finasteride/minoxidil).

I'm not familiar with the connection between collagen supplements and hair growth or wound healing. If you have any information, please share it! I am interested in the role of nutrition in hair loss, and in speeding up recovery from a hair transplant. To my knowledge, whey protein concentrate (undenatured) seems to be the best bet.

Dr. Cooley,

Your quick response is greatly appreciated. On that note, I completely understand that you use the PRP/ACELL Protocol to enhance previous minuterized hairs and further improve the patients existing hair...

With that said, how long does it take for your average patient to experience results from the PRP/ACELL therapy and how long does it typically last. Moreover, you are the first HT Doc that has indicated the results will be better with PREVIOUS USE of Propecia and Foam. In your observation, do you believe your results can be replicated consistently and please share more examples of your results. I have seen other results from other HT Docs, so I look forward to your future results because I know ultimately the results will be dependent on the person executing the therapy with the proper protocols involved.

Concering my personal experience with the collagen suppliments, I noticed in my HT area that was not natural looking [about 2 years] with in a period of 7-9 days, my hair became alot more robust. The hairline looked more natural-not more dense, if that makes any sense. Another words, the hair laid flat and provided a more layered result. In addition, my hair became darker on the sides where it was turning gray... , and my scalp was tinted in a redish hue along the hairline area. The supps I am taking are 1000mg of hydrolyzied collagen [Collage type I,II, & III] with low molecular weight thereby increasing bioavailability. I have been taking these supps for about 63 days give or take a day or two. I take three pills through out the day. One other thing, I have been using the new hairmax laser comb. I beleive it was my 72nd application at use of 8 min intervals. I use this 3 times a week on a clean scalp. The interesting thing is that the comb was helping me, but, than the supps kicked everything into overdrive.Oh yes, I have been taking Propecia since 1998.I will be posting before and after pics to get your feedback.

In closing, maybe this is a placebo effect I am experienceing..just not sure..And just to ask my previous question again, have you had PRP/ACELL perfromed on your self. Dr. Cooley, if this to personal of a question and you don't feel comfortable answering it, I understand.

Best,

Edited by M1A1

• 1 month later...

Dr. Cooley,

Thanks for presenting this exceptional case. Not only do the results to date look incredible, but the fact that this patient didn't experience an initial shedding/telogen phase of the transplanted hair is impressive. It would be a real breakthrough if you and/or other leading physicians stumbled upon a means that would prevent this in all patients consistently.

Thanks for all your dedication and committment to this community, your patients and for continuing to advance and revolutionize the hair restoration profession.

Best wishes,

Bill

• 2 years later...