Propecia and Dizziness

moss

Hello All.

I finally took the plunge and started taking Propecia 6 days ago (1mg per day - bought from Boots the chemist). I have a close friend who has now been taking the drug for a year with no adverse effects whatsoever, so i thought i'd give it a try.

After taking just 5 tablets I woke yesterday feeling horribly dizzy. I struggled in to work but left early and went to bed as the dizziness hadnt subsided. I feel a bit better today, but still feeling woozy and a bit punch-drunk. I didnt take a tablet last night.

I wonder if anyone has experienced the same thing? And if so, how did you deal with it?

Did you lessen the dose for a while? Or will the dizzyness pass once my system has gotten used to the drug? - I am assuming that its the Propecia that has caused the dizziness but, of course, that may not be the case. I'm off to the Doctors tomorrow.

After spending such a long time deliberating taking the drug, I would, ideally, like to continue. It would be great to hear from others who may have experienced dizzyness that passed after a while, or perhaps you stopped taking the drug altogether?

all the best

Moss

Hello All.

I finally took the plunge and started taking Propecia 6 days ago (1mg per day - bought from Boots the chemist). I have a close friend who has now been taking the drug for a year with no adverse effects whatsoever, so i thought i'd give it a try.

After taking just 5 tablets I woke yesterday feeling horribly dizzy. I struggled in to work but left early and went to bed as the dizziness hadnt subsided. I feel a bit better today, but still feeling woozy and a bit punch-drunk. I didnt take a tablet last night.

I wonder if anyone has experienced the same thing? And if so, how did you deal with it?

Did you lessen the dose for a while? Or will the dizzyness pass once my system has gotten used to the drug? - I am assuming that its the Propecia that has caused the dizziness but, of course, that may not be the case. I'm off to the Doctors tomorrow.

After spending such a long time deliberating taking the drug, I would, ideally, like to continue. It would be great to hear from others who may have experienced dizzyness that passed after a while, or perhaps you stopped taking the drug altogether?

all the best

Moss

Not dizziness but I got a headache/brain fog for a while after starting. I gave it up and am trying half a tablet a week.

I think I am getting some very mild side effects again but I'm going to stick with it to see what happens.

My advice would be to stop taking them until you return to normal, then take maybe 1 pill a week, or half a pill every 5 days. See what happens over a period of time.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Thanks 1978matt, very good advice. I've stopped taking the tabs until my head clears completely . Ill speak to the doctor about it when I see him. I wonder how effective taking less than 1mg a day would be? Worth doing some research on maybe...

I stopped taking it 6 months ago and am gonna be back on it (or dut) come Friday..

I don't recall having any brain fog/dizziness but then again I was smoking some funny things back then so if there was dizziness when I started I would've attributed it to that.. I remember actually having more focus but also at the same time a little hyper

taking less than 1mg a day is no problem... lots of people cut the pills in halves or quarters

when I get back on it I'm gonna start with a low does of .25mg a day and gradually work myself back up again :)

hope this helps

So does the drug still have any effect even if you don't take the prescribed dosage? Does it slow down hair loss if you take less rather than stop hair loss ?

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/166975-finasteride-dosage-frequency-conception.html

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Hello All.

all the best

Moss

Hello Moss,

If you think you are having an adverse reaction to a medication do not take it lightly. This could be an indicator of low blood pressure. Incidentally the initial discovery of these medical treatments were observations when the medication was being studied for treating hypertension (high blood pressure). Bottom line mate; should immediately call the doctor who prescribed for you. Erring on the side of caution you might discontinue use until you have a clear and definitive instruction from your doctor. All the Best, Michael

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

Propecia is an extremley powerful drug deceivingly marketed as something that only will affect the hair on your head.

When in fact it directly alters your hormonal indoctrine and receptor system and production of DHT of which we know contributes and casues MPB in some people. We know DHT affects sex drive and lots of other functions so its anyone's guess what long term use will do.

Added to that the medical community is also totally in the dark as to lots of things that DHT is essential for and are in a trial and error situation.

This drug has been in long term use 10 - 15 years. No one can say for sure the myriad of side effects it can cause yet but we seeing the tip of the ice berg already in some.

Thanks so much for your replies fellas, I really appreciate them.

I've just got back from seeing a Doctor. She was of the opinion that the symptoms I've been experiencing were not down to the medication. I won't go in to details of the outcome but suffice to say it seems i can carry on with Propecia if I choose. I think I may consider taking a lower dose once these damn headaches subside. Im not planning on taking them just yet, just in case i do get any side effects whilst recovering from the symptoms i have at present..!

Thanks again. Its good to know theres support out there..

cheers

Moss

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks so much for your replies fellas, I really appreciate them.

I've just got back from seeing a Doctor. She was of the opinion that the symptoms I've been experiencing were not down to the medication. I won't go in to details of the outcome but suffice to say it seems i can carry on with Propecia if I choose. I think I may consider taking a lower dose once these damn headaches subside. Im not planning on taking them just yet, just in case i do get any side effects whilst recovering from the symptoms i have at present..!

Thanks again. Its good to know theres support out there..

cheers

Moss

Hi Moss,

Thats what the forum i all about. Happy to hear you went to the medical professional who give you the best guidance. Sorry, you have other stuff going on but it seems your on the way to recovery and can start your Propecia regiman again soon. Take care and All the Best, Michael

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

• 5 months later...

Hi all :)

My first post here because i found this forum thru searching for a side effect!

I had a transplant about 3 months ago (may 2013) which was fine, the op went well. Typical receding hairline and crown. About 3000 hairs were re-planted.

Ive been using Kirkland Minoxidil 5% but its not the foam, its administered via a dropper at 1ml direct to the crown and for about 2 months ive been using Propecia 1ml tablets.

So...today...and out of the blue I got a very very dizzy episode! (I wish i could say it was a "senior moment" but im only 41!

Anyway, the effect was like being drunk after 6 or 7 pints of cider. The room started tilting quite bad and whilst i wouldn't say i felt nauseous, if it carried on a bit longer then i could definitely have a felt a bit sick. It was like spinning around 10 times and then trying to walk...if that makes sense!?

The effect lasted about 5-10 minutes and to be honest it was a bit concerning. if i was driving i would've pulled over for sure.

Im no hypochondriac at all but ... it wasn't right. especially at 2pm on a normal workday. A friend in the office even asked if i was feeling alright.

Ive not experienced any other effects that are publicised, but my mum being a nurse said it might be low blood pressure and of course - go see the doc!

Im here to ask if this could be a real side effect kicking in? ive never had dizzy spells (apart from drinking beer lol) and from a good search it seems that it might be quite common. My question is...if anyone else has had this (and of course from this thread people have had it), have you just ridden it through or have you stopped the pills?

Ok..its only happened once, but it was enough of a dizzy spell to warrant further investigation.

Ive not told my transplant company yet about the spell, but they've offered me Proscar at 1.5ml (its a 5ml pill chopped into 4 parts) when i finish my current prescription of Propecia.

Thanks for any advice i can be offered :)

Dave

p.s. ive noticed that my scalp is very dry, even after 10 mins of having a shower i can see flakes. thanks

Hello Dave. i think a trip to the dr is absolutely your best bet if you have the slightest of concerns. However, I would say that it seems odd that you may have had a side effect after 2 whole months on the drug, you would think you would get them much sooner. But I would say I'm no authority on the subject. My own dizzy spells continue and are likely not related to propecia, as i stopped taking the drug a while back, but to a stress disorder (I can't remember if I mentioned that in my original post).

But as I say it's always good to get your mind put at rest and speak to your dr. As your mum suggested, low blood pressure could have well caused a dizzy spell, and I believe that can be caused by any number of things.

Fingers crossed it doesn't happen again.

Cheers buddy

Moss

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

:)Hi, new to this forum but anyway....I took generic proscar and I got a light headed feeling not particularly Dizzy but almost it felt like a slight hangover feeling not a fun feeling at all I had to stop the pills...I got this side effect after taking 1-2mg of finasteride for 12 Days...I took it 14 Days total it took 3-4 Days off the drug to feel normal again.. I Believe this drug caused me low blood preassure for sure, im thinking of trying 0.5mg everyday to see if I get the side again but im not sure about this :confused: