How do Docs determine number of donor hair available?

Hi guys,

I've read about hair transplants for a while now and am ready to take the plunge hopefully soon. But there is one thing that still puzzles me, and I thought before I hassle one of the many qualified Physicians with the question I'll try my luck here, hoping the answer could also benefit others.

I'm interested in FUE and FUE only.

How does a Dr. determine how many hairs he can harvest from a given donor area, or in other words, how many does he actually harvest. Do they have rules that they take for example only one out of tree existing hairs and leave the others?

I've heard about Docs saying that a donor area is depleted, how is that determined? Do they do a hair count on a given area and don't go below a certain density, maybe 45/cm2 ?

Obviously hair needs to be left behind, but how much?

I think you get my drift, I've not come across an answer to that question yet and hope you can help. In case no one knows anything about this I will ask my Dr. of choice and post the answer (or an interpretation of it) here.

Many thanks,

Hairmore

Is your money unlimited? That kinda makes a difference....I was originally supposed to get 2500 graft but I ended up with 3200 grafts.....it's been 3 months and 3 weeks and I gotta a lot of hair already...... I feel like my HT was the worst thing I ever did at first.. (especially after reading some of the post on the site) Now that my hair is coming in, it's a amazing feeling and I'm really happy I did it......

Hi guys,

I've read about hair transplants for a while now and am ready to take the plunge hopefully soon. But there is one thing that still puzzles me, and I thought before I hassle one of the many qualified Physicians with the question I'll try my luck here, hoping the answer could also benefit others.

I'm interested in FUE and FUE only.

How does a Dr. determine how many hairs he can harvest from a given donor area, or in other words, how many does he actually harvest. Do they have rules that they take for example only one out of tree existing hairs and leave the others?

I've heard about Docs saying that a donor area is depleted, how is that determined? Do they do a hair count on a given area and don't go below a certain density, maybe 45/cm2 ?

Obviously hair needs to be left behind, but how much?

I think you get my drift, I've not come across an answer to that question yet and hope you can help. In case no one knows anything about this I will ask my Dr. of choice and post the answer (or an interpretation of it) here.

Many thanks,

Hairmore

Hi Hairmore;

HT doctors with good experience are looking at several factors when it comes to donor hair counts availability; 1) The future prediction of MPB, though the back and sides are permanent zones where hair is resistant to DHT there are certainly patients who have more recession on the hairline at the sides of the head and also more loss from the crown where the pattern extends down into the back of the head. So in such instances there is a lesser pool of available donor hair, so future prediction of MPB is a vital consideration 2) The texture, thickness of the hair shaft and overall density are also factors in consideration of the donor hair pool for initial surgery and for additional surgeries if they are planned.

These factors make each case so uniquely individual that only your surgeon can give you an accurate count after a thorough microscopic evalutation and consult. I know this does not give you anything to estimate with on your own but the truth is this critical factor of planning in HT can only be determined through the services of a HT surgeon and preferably one of those recommended on HTN. All the Best, Michael

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

Hi Michael, thanks you very much for your response.

My intention was not to specifically establish my own donor hair count, it was more of a curious nature to understand the bigger picture of a HTs. So no disappointment from your post.

I guess a driving factor for my question was also the following:

When I eventually go in for my first HT I'd like to preserve as much hair in the donor area for two reasons, 1) to simply keep the density at or as close to where it is now and 2) to keep as much donor hair for future HT that might be unavoidable once I loose more hair.

At the same time I'd like to get as much hair as possible for my first HT to give the whole procedure an impact that hopefully will keep me out of trouble for 5-10 years (maybe too optimistic?).

So at the moment I'm investigating BHT and would prefer to take the bigger chunk of transplanted hair (hoping for 5000 to 6000 grafts in total, incl. scalp hair) from either (or a mix of all) chest, abs, beard, underarm or pubic zone just below abs.

I guess another question which is on my mind is the following:

Let's say a patient has a ideal donor area, fairly large with high hair density, but maybe with hair diameter on the thinner side. If we then take somewhere around 5000 grafts out of that donor area, is this noticeable? Not really? Very much? I guess that's something I want to avoid.

I welcome feedback and discussion from yourself, Michael, or anyone else that wishes to comment.

Thanks again.