Transplanting into native hair?

Looking for feedback/advice from anyone who's had diffuse thinning like myself and had an HT?

My biggest concern is shock loss. Am I at a greater risk? Would a transplant at this point do more harm (in terms of damaging native hair) than good?

My goal is to add density. Mainly to hairline, temple points and the front third/vertex. Crown will be saved till a later date.

This would be my 2nd HT. First one back in 2006. 900 grafts into hairline. I am 31 years old.

Thanks.

Original HT:

Hair Restoration Social Network - Hair Loss and Transplant Photos

5b32d6caad847_2012-Natural.jpg.70d83db2d934c7f0ce1b34fc82931adf.jpg

5b32d6cabdf9d_2012-Gel.jpg.13cd0abab28ae0aecefbbcc454b28fde.jpg

5b32d6cae1b7f_2012Right.jpg.eeef0001d247e12f74919b51523c2fe1.jpg

HT2 - March, 2013. 2933 grafts.

HT1 - June, 2006. 800 grafts.

Spiral, I think your temporal points look great. Personally I think you would achieve a nicer result with a transplant, but would go for the most grafts possible. Though some doctors opinions differ, you would get an optimum result with shaving your head before procedure. I wrestled with this question before I did, shaved recipient area. My reasoning is that it cannot hurt, and only help. Except for the addtional time in the ugly duckling phase, there are no drawbacks. Dr. Hasson had a good article Bill (publisher) just replied to on a very recent post. Really take the time to interview doctors. I don't know if your on meds or not, but that in conjunction with realizing you will probably lose a majority of your existing hair over time without will have a huge bearing on achieving realistic expectations. You look like your hair is relatively thick or coarse so that will be a big advantage. Best of luck. Tom

If the grafts are implanted too close/dense to existing hair, it very well could shock them permanently, even if they are strong and terminal hairs(thick with color, not thin and colorless). The weak hairs may go but you probably won't even notice them as they are at the stage of going out anyway. Some say Proprecia can strengthen the weaker hairs so it may be of benefit providing you get no side effects.

If you go to a top quality surgeon your shock will come back....you will certainly probably have some, BUT it will come back...also, if you go to a surgeon who requires shaving that may help..you can check out my photos..I was a diffuse thinner as well

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

If you go to a top quality surgeon your shock will come back....you will certainly probably have some, BUT it will come back...also, if you go to a surgeon who requires shaving that may help..you can check out my photos..I was a diffuse thinner as well

Really? Because I went to a top quality surgeon and I have permanent shockloss. Please don't give any guarantees to a vulnerable person who is insecure(as we all are here) about his hair when there are NO guarantees in hair transplantation.

Really? Because I went to a top quality surgeon and I have permanent shockloss. Please don't give any guarantees to a vulnerable person who is insecure(as we all are here) about his hair when there are NO guarantees in hair transplantation.

Mickey

Didnt mean to offend you! I mean in general your hair will come back...MOST PEOPLES do...Im sorry for your unfortunate situation but I stand by what I say...I know that there are always exceptions to the rule.

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Mickey

Didnt mean to offend you! I mean in general your hair will come back...MOST PEOPLES do...Im sorry for your unfortunate situation but I stand by what I say...I know that there are always exceptions to the rule.

No worries. It's just that you did not give room for any exception in your post(although you have rectified that in the subsequent posting). You didn't offend me at all, I just like the full truth told to all forum members new and old so they can really make an informed decision.

Looking for feedback/advice from anyone who's had diffuse thinning like myself and had an HT?

My biggest concern is shock loss. Am I at a greater risk? Would a transplant at this point do more harm (in terms of damaging native hair) than good?

My goal is to add density. Mainly to hairline, temple points and the front third/vertex. Crown will be saved till a later date.

This would be my 2nd HT. First one back in 2006. 900 grafts into hairline. I am 31 years old.

Thanks.

Original HT:

Hair Restoration Social Network - Hair Loss and Transplant Photos

A pain in the a$$ but you may be better to ride it out for a while and use concealers to cover it up. I realise that this may not suit your lifestyle.

Otherwise, maybe a small procedure to beef up the hairline(?)

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Thanks all for the replies. Much help. I will definitely buzz/shave my hair down, similar to my first HT.

How many grafts do you all feel I should aim for? Like you guys mentioned, too many grafts/too densely packed could lead to added shock loss.

As for a skilled surgeon, I am only considering Dr.'s recommended on this forum. I live in Southern California and am considering Dr. Meshkin, Dr. Siporin and Dr. Reed. If anyone has any feedback, I would love to hear it.

Thanks again!

HT2 - March, 2013. 2933 grafts.

HT1 - June, 2006. 800 grafts.

• 3 weeks later...