“Why Hair Transplants Are a Bad Idea" blog

MCS

Not sure I agree with all of this. Firstly, if you have only lost 25 percent of your hair, it will make a massive difference.

Secondly, if you are say a nw5 to nw7, im sure 25% at the front to mid frames the face very nicely

I am slightly above the age mentioned, but I can tell you that I would rather the hair now, than be worrying about the possibility of a linear scar showing when I am much older.

Also, Im sure choosing the right surgeon, will help guide you in the right direction.

HT No1 : Nobel clinic, Gatwick 500 grafts - Terrible result, left with bumpy skin

HT No2 : Marwan Saifi 1680 grafts. Great result

HT No3 - Marwan Saifi 1250 grafts. Another good result.

HT No4 - Hakan Doganay 2134 grafts. Result TBA

Total 5134 grafts.

"1. There isn't enough hair. If you pour about $40,000 into it, you can get back maximum 25% of your original density. That's it. About 7,500 grafts. "

I completely agree with his statement. NW5 to NW7 are chasing something that simply is not there, and will never have a full head of hair, never have the density. PLUS 40k.

Although there are some amazing docs here that look out for you, and will not just "take your money." Shapiro, Lindsey come to mind.

I would tell any NW5, to buzz and SMP, you will live a better life.

Now, below that NW scale results are simply amazing. A NW3 getting 3500 grafts is a game changer

Edited by nativeremdies

I know what he said. All im saying, is that it will make a huge difference if you have only lost 25% or so of your naitive hair. Also if you have a slight recession, surgeons like rahal can dense pack. Im sure this is more than 25% of the original density.

If you are a nw5 to nw7 you have to be realistic. The surgeon will also tell you this. Its obvious that you are not going to hair the hair you did as a teenager. Its all about framing the face at that stage.

HT No1 : Nobel clinic, Gatwick 500 grafts - Terrible result, left with bumpy skin

HT No2 : Marwan Saifi 1680 grafts. Great result

HT No3 - Marwan Saifi 1250 grafts. Another good result.

HT No4 - Hakan Doganay 2134 grafts. Result TBA

Total 5134 grafts.

I do wonder what will happen in another 10 years when the NW2s who had HTs at 25 start to thin out behind their transplants!

It's possibly a ticking timebomb.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

"If you are a nw5 to nw7 you have to be realistic. The surgeon will also tell you this."

On that road to a nw5 myself. I was not aware of what my HT would truly represent. Never once did I hear, were advise, or read that my hair would be "see through"

I am aware of my continue loss and always knew that I would need multiple HT's and was prepared for the expense. I just was very misguided to believe I could have a full head of hair for $30k,

Now had someone said, you will only be able to get 25% density. At least that would have been honest.

That information (even on this board that supposedly helps you), it is a pretty tough to figure that out. Plus the pics from the clinic look so great. No one shows you a pic of a NW5 with a $30k head, just out of the shower, or under light conditions where it is "see through." NW5+ up you are chasing a hair dragon (durrrr) I feel the board really fails to educate in that aspect.

Now a NW3 and your hair loss has stabilized. Any day of the week. There are some crazy great results out there.

I do wonder what will happen in another 10 years when the NW2s who had HTs at 25 start to thin out behind their transplants!

It's possibly a ticking timebomb.

I have that same concern, especially when the use a lot of grafts at that point.

I don't agree with the article overall, but there are good points in it. Getting a HT is all about realistic expectations and having a thorough understanding of what can and cannot be done for your situation. The top clinics will be very honest with you about what is achievable. Sometimes people who don't talk to a reputable clinic are promised things that are not realistic. Forums are a great source of information, but people need to realize that "Wow" results are that way because they are better than the norm. A normal result by top surgeons is still really good, but if expectations are for a "wow" result and you don't get that, then you will be disappointed. There is a lot to consider when deciding to get a HT. the key is research and more research so that you can make an informed decision for yourself. For me, it was one of the best decisions I made for myself. It is not for everyone though.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

My random thoughts on this:

1. Realistic expectation is KEY. Expectations for a 40 year old NW V are more easily reconciled with the realities of what can be achived than a 27 year old NW II

2. A NW II under 25 should never be operated on.

3. A NW V and above with less than 5000 lifetime grafts should not get into a HT. However, a NW V with 10 k grafts is another story.

4. If the shaved look suits you, go for it and forget a HT.

5. 95% of all HT will look thin in certain lighting. If you cannot live with that, move on.

6. A man who cannot pull off the shaved look usually looks better with 50% density on top rather than being bald.

7. Planning for the future is KEY and a NWV and above will need to conceed somthing be it a thin spot on the crown, lower overall density, etc. They should remove the illusions of having "Great" hair from their minds and aim for "Decent" hair that is suitable for ther age and hair that does not detract from their appearance.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

I'm fine with never having 16 year old hair. I just want hair, my hairline had receded so badly and one gust of wind would expose it and I felt horrible.

I've been wearing concealer on my midscalp, crown and at the front of my hairline for 3 years and I have no problem continuing to do so on the transplanted hair if it is see through. I like to brush it down anyway so hopefully that will improve the 'illusion'.

I just wanted improvement. My new hairline may not be 16 year olds density but already it's better than it was pre-op and I'm only 6 months in. Maybe 20 years down the line it will be a bad idea who knows...I can't worry about that. If/when the meds stop working and the rest behind my frontal third goes I'll try the next thing to come along, or probably chase it with more HT's. I'm committed to it and don't mind having see through hair that I can cover up with some concealer. I just don't want to be bald. My head is not the right shape for bald.

I'm also not scared of surgeries or scarring, I fear balding more. Which may be silly but it's the way it is!

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

I just want hair, my hairline had receded so badly and one gust of wind would expose it and I felt horrible.

QUOTE]

My messy comb forward was a real nightmare until I started using Nanogen Fibre locking mist! 4 or 5 sprays and the hair I have is going nowhere!

Is surgery on your radar at all? I just checked your pics, 2500 (ish) grafts could go a long way at the front I think!

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Hi Guys,

Unfortunately, because the linked site was riddled with promotional adds for hair loss services/products, I was forced to remove the link. Because this really messes with the discussion, I was hoping not to do this, but my hands were tied. If it would keep the discussion going, feel free to copy and paste the original piece.

Thanks for understanding.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

The article is a bit 50/50 but I would say it is more correct than wrong. One part where it is iffy is in the donor area thinning naturally over time. This is circumstantial and not a consensus. My dad is 57 and a Norwood 4 and his donor area is tremendously thick with absolutely no signs of thinning. Not saying it can't happen, but it certainly is not definite. However alot of good point are brought up about the general recipient density on higher Norwood patterns.

Is surgery on your radar at all? I just checked your pics, 2500 (ish) grafts could go a long way at the front I think!

I'm going to see Dr Konior for a consultation in a month's time, then maybe book something.

Fellas please correct me if I'm wrong here but a Norwood 6 could easily have 4000 grafts put into his front third and mid scalp then use chest hair and beard hair to cover up the crown and if its a lil see threw you could hit it with some SMP , is this far fetched

The article is a bit 50/50 but I would say it is more correct than wrong. One part where it is iffy is in the donor area thinning naturally over time. This is circumstantial and not a consensus. My dad is 57 and a Norwood 4 and his donor area is tremendously thick with absolutely no signs of thinning. Not saying it can't happen, but it certainly is not definite. However alot of good point are brought up about the general recipient density on higher Norwood patterns.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/160903-senile-alopecia-how-common.html

Worth a read on this subject

The author of this is a dumb *butt. (I had to google the article because it was removed.)

Show me a patient by a top doc on this site that does't look better after 7500 grafts?

Will you look like a 20 year old when you are 60? No, but no doctors on this site will claim that you will.

Look at Bill the editor of this site. Do you think that he doesn't look better? Pretty much all of his hair is HT on top. Look at Can't Decide. He does't look like the same man. There are several nw5's that look great, I can't think of anyone that had work by a top doc and I think, "Man, you should have just shaved your head." Some NW7's are the only ones I can think of that I would say just save your money, but a lot of them look better and are happier too.

The only value of this article is to keep in mind that you do have limited donor. I wanted an HT at 33 years old and my hairline hadn't receded much in the front. I still transplanted a cm behind my natural line because I didn't want to be aggressive. I wish that my natural line in the front was a little higher so I would have used those grafts in the future somewhere else. When you are younger and implant a hairline, you are drawing a line in the sand. That is the only good point from this article, Besides that, poppycock.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Fellas please correct me if I'm wrong here but a Norwood 6 could easily have 4000 grafts put into his front third and mid scalp then use chest hair and beard hair to cover up the crown and if its a lil see threw you could hit it with some SMP , is this far fetched

Hmmmm some are apprehensive about the use of body hair, myself included. It's not about the actual yield of it, it's just the body hair differs in its characteristics to scalp hair and other sources of body hair(beard, chest, leg, abdominal area etc). The caliber differs, the length it can grow differs, the coarseness, the 'wave' etc. All these factors make body hair a questionable asset to some people. Even some prominent FUE doctors don't entertain the idea of body hair save for the use of beard hair to fill in FUT/FUE scars. Doctor's like Bisanga and Umar have taken body hair use to the full extent though. Each to their own.

The author of this is a dumb *butt. (I had to google the article because it was removed.)

Show me a patient by a top doc on this site that does't look better after 7500 grafts?

Will you look like a 20 year old when you are 60? No, but no doctors on this site will claim that you will.

Look at Bill the editor of this site. Do you think that he doesn't look better? Pretty much all of his hair is HT on top. Look at Can't Decide. He does't look like the same man. There are several nw5's that look great, I can't think of anyone that had work by a top doc and I think, "Man, you should have just shaved your head." Some NW7's are the only ones I can think of that I would say just save your money, but a lot of them look better and are happier too.

The only value of this article is to keep in mind that you do have limited donor. I wanted an HT at 33 years old and my hairline hadn't receded much in the front. I still transplanted a cm behind my natural line because I didn't want to be aggressive. I wish that my natural line in the front was a little higher so I would have used those grafts in the future somewhere else. When you are younger and implant a hairline, you are drawing a line in the sand. That is the only good point from this article, Besides that, poppycock.

I like you, Spanker. One of my favourite posters.

Hmmmm some are apprehensive about the use of body hair, myself included. It's not about the actual yield of it, it's just the body hair differs in its characteristics to scalp hair and other sources of body hair(beard, chest, leg, abdominal area etc). The caliber differs, the length it can grow differs, the coarseness, the 'wave' etc. All these factors make body hair a questionable asset to some people. Even some prominent FUE doctors don't entertain the idea of body hair save for the use of beard hair to fill in FUT/FUE scars. Doctor's like Bisanga and Umar have taken body hair use to the full extent though. Each to their own.
that depends on ones body hair. my body hair for example is dam near the same thickness as my head hair and is straight and considering body hair will often take on the characteristics of head hair if ur body hair is thick to begin with it will work just fine. of course most peoples body hair are quite thinner and lighter so for many I agree with u.

the growth phases are much longer so it will take longer to grow in but ive been bald for the last 20 years so if I had to wait an additional 6 months or longer for hair to grow if using body hair so what.