HT at Colorado Surgical/Hair Institute

HairlessHero

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Met with these guys.. get a warm and fuzzy. Besides the price, and the website, which bothers me. Obviously some other clinics are forced to charge more because of their full time paid mouth piece, member fees, commissions etc..

HT Colorado, do speak the lingo, had the right toys,and their recommendations where spot on. Said my Lindsey scar could be rectified. They mention how the would treat my HT because of thin hair. Talked about laxity was great, just like Ferris.

I will say this. After having with met with Ferris, and HT Colorado. A in person consultation is x10000 better then sending pics and doing it over email.

Edited by nativeremdies

Would love a update on this..

Hi!, well it hasn't even been 4 weeks yet for me since my transplant at CHI so there really isn't much to update,

I 'can' tell you that as I run my fingertips over the transplanted area it feels as though I still have more than half of my transplanted hair still in, in other words they haven't fallen out yet but from reading about graft 'fallout' on these forums, apparently it can continue to fall out for up to 2 months (we shall see how it goes)

I'm really excited about my upcoming results (next 4/6 months) because for the first time in decades I will finally have hair on my crown :) Next year (April'ish) I want to have another HT to address my front/midscalp area so I am already trying to save for that too.

I like everyone at CHI, I feel they have the right balance of professionalism and are very personable and for north America their prices are very competitive.

You may/may not have noticed that I deleted all my pictures from this thread and from my profile, I did that for personal reasons but I will be adding them back at some future time (when I post my 3 month/6 month update).

Good luck with your quest for the right surgeon for you :)

• 1 month later...

Well it's not even been 3 months yet ( it will be on the 20th of May) so I'm still in the 'ughly duckling' stage. Right now I have lots of pimples on my crown and it's exciting to think that for the first time in 30 years that I may have hair back there again!

I can't wait to ditch the cap!

• 1 year later...

Hey guys,

Im heading over to CHI on Monday for a consultation. Im a little on edge and not sure what to expect. My hair has been receding for the past 6 years or so. Been taking propecia for the past year and my hair is very thick in all areas except the front. Last year was probably the hardest time of my life and anxiety attacks in sued. Ive worn a ballcap since I was 17 and is part of my everyday. I naturally have a large forehead and when my hair started to recede, thats when the self esteem issues started. Any questions that I should ask when I am there and I wish that I could find more reviews and post opt pictures from there.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Hi Roopert1517

You might want to check out the post i started a year ago after MattUK also failed to reply with my questions, I found myself in your shoes about 18 months ago, infact its exactly 12 months (31st May 2013) since i had my op carried out by CHI. I've avoided any forum posts/regular updates due to alot of negative feedback received regarding the $2 grafts so didn't feel the need to share, but have responded to a few PM's since i had mine done. I've only ever had the one procedure carried out and traveled from the UK to have it done, costs over here were more than tripple which made it only a dream for me to have done. I cant compare it to any other more expensive procedure which was being offered to me like some of the guys on here have had, but all i can say is it was the best $4500 i have invested in which has changed my life, confidence and outlook in a very short space of time.

Chris and the team are very professional and will take care of you from start to finish. If i was to suggest anything i would say 1) spend a few days out there if your not local, they can check post op is fine and give you a good first cleanse giving you more peace of mind that the op was successful. 2) make sure your happy with the angle and level of your hairline in the mirror and also a widows peak if it suits prior to the op. 3) if you can afford it then get as much grafts as you can afford, initially they advised 1500 grafts but after discussions I opted for 2000. (if i could turn back time id have gone 2500 for the sake of it but then im greedy!) 4) for me i needed at least 10-12 days off work to fully disguise my op with my long hair, you may need more or less if you can wear a hat at work or rock the skinhead look. Other than that you dont have anything to worry about, as i say the whole team from start to finish were very professional throughout!

• 2 months later...

It seems this guy (Gerald Searle) was arrested and involved in a serious medical crime.

Colorado marijuana dispensary owner, 11 others indicted on 71 charges - The Denver Post

"The indictment also charges a doctor, 34-year-old Gerald Searle, another childhood friend of Hoskins, with having an unlawful relationship with a dispensary. Colorado law prohibits doctors from receiving anything of value from dispensaries. According to the indictment, Hoskins paid the rent on Searle's medical office in exchange for Searle writing medical-marijuana recommendations to patients and referring them to Hoskins' dispensary, which was around the corner."

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

please stay away from Colorado surgical center & hair institute. I had a FUT done there and was left with a large zipper like scar when I was told I was receiving a trichophytic closure. the scar is well over a cm wide with no hair growing through. Less than half the grafts survived, and my recipient area has been left with "pock mark" scarring along with permanent shock loss. They lied and told me that their surgeons have over 20 years experience when they were using a doc named Gerald Searle who had at best 1-2 years experience and was basically experimenting on patients heads to learn the trade. They use techs with very little experience to place the grafts. Just STAY THE HELL AWAY....

Gerald Searle was also indicted for running some large marijuana scheme and is no way invested in hair restoration medicine......

First HT was Rahal - 3000 - front

Second was Lindsey - front 1500 (failed, large scar, bad experience)

Third Colorado hair - front - 1500

Fourth Colorado hair - crown (fix scar) 1500

I had my 3rd surgery with Colorado hair and gave me exact what I wanted. They filled in the front so the hair line was less see through. I could tell right away that it was going to look good.

Recently had a 4th surgery with Colorado hair to fill in the crown and fix my scar. I'm optimistic! Will post pics in two weeks. Then again in three months

BoulderBalder i'm 100% confident Colorado hair will do a scar revision for free if it was something they did.

who is the surgeon? A scar revision takes a lot of skill and after they left me with an enormous, over 1cm wide, FUT strip scar after a "trichophytic closure", I am less than confident in their capacity to perform what is likely even more difficult of a procedure. I could end up worse.....I would be interested to see your pictures of your strip revision and also find out who performed your procedure. For me at this point, Im going to Dr. Konior. Tired of F*&^% around with my head and want the best, 1 time, and done.....

Understood I totally feel you.

I was left with a wide scar after HT 2. The doc didn't know why and was unsympathetic.

I was pissed, and still upset.

If this scar revision fails or works with Colorado, I will reach out to you and see where you are at.

If it does fail, I will go under the knife again, maybe Dr. Konior. Insist on staples instead of sutures, maybe that's exactly what i need My head stretches.

Still, I found Colorado Hair to be approachable accommodating and will offer to correct the procedure for free. Which after the doc with HT 2 is the kind of clinic I needed

Understood I totally feel you.

I was left with a wide scar after HT 2. The doc didn't know why and unsympathetic. Though he did let me know his scar revision price.

I was pissed, and still upset.

If this scar revision fails or works with Colorado, I will reach out to you and see where you are at.

If it does fail, I think I need staples instead of sutures. My head stretches.

Still, I found Colorado Hair to be approachable accommodating and will offer to correct the procedure for free. Which after the doc with HT 2 is kind of clinic I needed

I've had two HT procedures, and truth be told, a couple of other facial cosmetic procedures as well. I'm a surgeon, double board certified, so I do my research pretty well. Plus my inside info helps as well. My first HT was here in Denver by Dr. James Harris. Not so good, my hair was growing straight out of the side of me head like a crawfish. Then after speaking with, and meeting a few patients from Colorado Surgical/Hair Institute, I had my second procedure dome in early 2013 by Dr. Jim Boland. Beautiful closure, great staff and service, and a great job of correcting and adding to my previous procedure.

I've read where a couple of recent postings were not happy with the results of their closure and warned potential patients to stay away. If I could offer some insight, on my facial procedures a couple of things didn't turn out quite as I hoped. So I called the clinic and expressed my displeasure, and things were corrected at no extra fee, as they should be in cosmetic surgery, or any surgery. The people at Colorado Surgical/Hair Institute seem to me that they run things the same way, Like all procedures, it's surgery, and things happen. I'm sure all the fine Doctors on this site will tell you they've had a stretch back case or two, maybe even necrosis. If they don't admit to that, I think that they are not being truthful. Boulder Balder, you have a stretch back scar, call them and ask them to correct it. To the fellow damning them to hell, you have neurosis, call them and have them correct it. Why have you waited two years? In my research of this clinic, this is one of the reasons I chose them. Because I felt confident that if I did have an issue, they would stand behind their work and take care of me. Fortunately, everything was great. As for the facial, not so much. But I didn't panic and things were corrected. So now I have a much younger look sans the wrinkles, and the hair I envisioned thanks to Colorado Surgical/Hair Institute. I was interested first by their price, but most importantly the quality of the work won me over even more. They really care about their patients, and that type of genuine affection you can't fake.:)

why would a double board certified surgeon be interested in going to a place with 2$ grafts? Im an internist and I make plenty of money to afford the best. I went to this chop shop when I was a broke medical resident and couldn't afford the best otherwise I would never have gone there in the first place.... Jim Boland was writing medical marijuana scripts and has been evaluated for questionable practices..... I dont know any doctor that would go to this place especially a surgeon who makes plenty of money when they could go to someone like Dr. Konior who is a trained surgeon with fellowship in plastics. A true surgeon would know and understand how much more capable a plastic surgeon would be at performing surgical procedures than some guy who was writing medical marijuana scripts until 2013......I am suspicious of you coming on to this forum and talking about how great this clinic is with no history, almost as if you are working for them.

I will contact the Colorado surgical center and hair institute and discuss rectifying the situation as I mentioned in previous posts. If they are fair and want to pay for my zipper scar and ridiculous hair line to be fixed then I will post that here, but when they say their surgeons have "20 years experience" and they are using a Dr who has less than 2 years experience and are experimenting on peoples scalps to learn the trade that is wrong and people need to know about it....

I've had two HT procedures, and truth be told, a couple of other facial cosmetic procedures as well. I'm a surgeon, double board certified, so I do my research pretty well. Plus my inside info helps as well. My first HT was here in Denver by Dr. James Harris. Not so good, my hair was growing straight out of the side of me head like a crawfish. Then after speaking with, and meeting a few patients from Colorado Surgical/Hair Institute, I had my second procedure dome in early 2013 by Dr. Jim Boland. Beautiful closure, great staff and service, and a great job of correcting and adding to my previous procedure.

Is that you Jim?...;)

What a daft post.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Just because you pay more doesn't mean you get a better procedure. One of my long time best friends and colleagues is always listed as one of the top ten facial plastic surgeons in the country. He's not in Colorado, but refers patients to them who have hair issues. Either from poor results from brow lifts, or just in need of hair. Here in Denver a neck lift is priced from $8,000.00 to $12,000.00. My friend does them for $2,500.00. And those who travel to him get a great result.

You think my post is daft because of price? I'm not Jim, just a happy patient. Colorado Surgical & Hair Institute may have a great rate, but it would mean nothing without great quality. You want to pay $8.00 to $12.00 per Graft? Go ahead, all your doing is putting more profit in the Doc's pocket. My certification's is in ER surgery and listed in the top ten percentile in the country. I'm just trying to give sound medical advise.

Remember when a DVD player was $300.00? Now they are $25.00. Blue Ray? $800.00, now $65.00. Does that make them any less effective? When I first researched this years ago, it was $25 per Graft? Was it better then? Of course not, it was worse. Technology along with pricing have gotten so much better.

Physicians who do cosmetic procedures remember the good old days when they made more money for their procedures. Those days are gone. You don't have to pay for the price of a car to get your hair back anymore.

I'll post my pictures in a few days and you can see for yourself. I can afford to go to any restoration clinic I want, but I have money because I don't spend it foolishly on those with big egos and who charge too much trying to live in the days gone by.

For me, a low Graft rate, a good business, Doc and staff who really care about my outcome, is the future.

Just because you pay more doesn't mean you get a better procedure. One of my long time best friends and colleagues is always listed as one of the top ten facial plastic surgeons in the country. He's not in Colorado, but refers patients to them who have hair issues. Either from poor results from brow lifts, or just in need of hair. Here in Denver a neck lift is priced from $8,000.00 to $12,000.00. My friend does them for $2,500.00. And those who travel to him get a great result.

You think my post is daft because of price? I'm not Jim, just a happy patient. Colorado Surgical & Hair Institute may have a great rate, but it would mean nothing without great quality. You want to pay $8.00 to $12.00 per Graft? Go ahead, all your doing is putting more profit in the Doc's pocket. My certification's is in ER surgery and listed in the top ten percentile in the country. I'm just trying to give sound medical advise.

Remember when a DVD player was $300.00? Now they are $25.00. Blue Ray? $800.00, now $65.00. Does that make them any less effective? When I first researched this years ago, it was $25 per Graft? Was it better then? Of course not, it was worse. Technology along with pricing have gotten so much better.

Physicians who do cosmetic procedures remember the good old days when they made more money for their procedures. Those days are gone. You don't have to pay for the price of a car to get your hair back anymore.

I'll post my pictures in a few days and you can see for yourself. I can afford to go to any restoration clinic I want, but I have money because I don't spend it foolishly on those with big egos and who charge too much trying to live in the days gone by.

For me, a low Graft rate, a good business, Doc and staff who really care about my outcome, is the future.

You sound like a salesman. Anyway, the Colorado Hair Institute results in this thread speak for themselves.

My certification's is in ER surgery and listed in the top ten percentile in the country. I'm just trying to give sound medical advise.

A double board certified surgeon should know that they should not give medical advise over the internet ;).

Salesman? I guess your right, I should't give advice on such a negative blog. So I won't say anything then about the overkill of products your using or the really "natural" looking hairline you've got there.

My experience and results at Colorado Surgical Center & Hair Institute were great, and that's all I wanted to share.

I'm grateful that my patients are appreciative of the care I give them, and have better things to do with their lives after being given a second lease on life, and focus more on the positive instead of the negative.

I actually had a procedure at the colorado surgical center. And they completely Fu$%#^d up my head. I went to TWO independant IAHRS who BOTH said my results are terrible and I got butchered. They BOTH said the results are outside of what can be expected or allowed. They BOTH said I should consider litigation and at least discuss having this clinic pay for a corrective procedure. The ONLY results posted by people on this forum show HORRIBLE results from this clinic. Then two people with essentially no history come on talking about how great this clinic is. What a freaking joke. Lets state the facts here.

1) They clearly lie on their website stating that "their surgeons have over 20 years experience" when they use some osteopath who doesnt even have 3 years experience with hair restoration surgery and isnt even a surgeon. He was writing marijuana scripts until he was nearly shut down but the state a few years ago.

2) previous "surgeon" Gerald Searle was indicted for a large medical marijuana scam...

3) The ONLY results independantly posted show horrendous results of people who were left worse off than when they started. Me being one of them.

4) NOBODY has EVER posted any results or positive experiences of this clinic.....

You will have to excuse me if I think you are full of S%^$......And what exactly did you say your certification was in? ER surgery? Thats not a board certified specialty......Rickibobbi= FOS!!!

Again STAY AWAY FROM THE COLORADO SURGICAL CENTER & HAIR INSTITUTE

So I won't say anything then about the overkill of products your using or the really "natural" looking hairline you've got there.

Not a very classy comment from a so called doctor.

Why don't you do something useful like contact CHI and ask the doctors to respond to this thread and others which depict poor work?

Salesman? I guess your right, I should't give advice on such a negative blog. So I won't say anything then about the overkill of products your using or the really "natural" looking hairline you've got there.

And by the way, it's 'you are' or 'you're' not 'your'. Pretty sad that your 2 board certifications weren't in grammar.