This 56-year-old patient two years ago desired to have his frontal hairline and forelock restored. His goals were very realistic in that he wanted to frame his face, and to have it appear natural. He wanted a hairline that was augmented, but age appropriate. He was also in situations when he had to shave the back of his head, and still is.

In discussing the options, I felt he was a perfect candidate for FUE. He understood that FUE is not a scarless procedure despite what is falsely advertised on the internet and TV, or what is read in highly deceptive airline magazine advertisements - it does leave hypopigmented areas at the graft extraction site, otherwise known as a scar; however, if the person wants to cut his hair down to only a few millimeters, then this is a viable option to cover the scars, but it does not eliminate them. I explain this in detail to every patient when discussing FUE. The preoperative photos show the proposed frontal hairline that he desired.

The photos show the results after 1609 grafts were placed into the frontal hairline and frontal scalp utilizing the FUE technique. I also have a video that I’m working on which will be added to this post in the near future which shows the extraction sites.

When performing FUE, I personally do all the FUE extractions on my patients. Since 2011, I use much stronger loop magnification to visualize the follicles for a more exact extraction process. Once the grafts are extracted, they are carefully examined under the microscope for any signs transection or visualized damage to the grafts. If any damage has occurred, they are rejected. This patient is extremely happy with the results as it accomplished his goals.

front.jpg

right45.jpg

right.jpg

left45.jpg

left.jpg

Closeup.jpg

gabel.jpg

grafts.jpg

Edited by Steve Gabel, M.D.

Steven Gabel, MD, FACS, FISHRS

Diplomate, American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery

Diplomate, American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

Diplomate, American College of Surgeons

Gabel Hair Restoration Center

Portland, Oregon

503-693-1118

Email Dr. Gabel directly at drgabel@gabelcenter.com

Dr. Gabel's Website

Dr. Steven Gabel is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Nicely done!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

How is this a nice FUE case? In the pre op pic, the person has short hair and he is wearing long hair in the post op picture.

How can somebody tell the difference when the pre and post op pictures are not consistent. I don't understand why some clinics don't put the uniform pre and post op pictures.

How is this a nice FUE case? In the pre op pic, the person has short hair and he is wearing long hair in the post op picture.

How can somebody tell the difference when the pre and post op pictures are not consistent. I don't understand why some clinics don't put the uniform pre and post op pictures.

His frontal 1/3 is bald is the before, it's not in the after. You can also see the natural appearance in the close-up.

He appears to have average to below average caliber and only had 1600 grafts. I would say that is a success and is definitely a high yield.

If you are judging this on naturalness and use of grafts. its a success.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

The before and after pics are extremely consistent in this case. He has peach fuzz in his frontal third in the before pic and the after pic shows a very nice improvement. Yes his hair is slightly longer in the after pic. Those 1600 grafts went a long way for this patient and this is a success without doubt.

• 3 weeks later...

The video is now added to the post.

Portland, Oregon

503-693-1118

Dr. Gabel's Website

Dr. Steven Gabel is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

I appreciate all the positive comments. This patient is extremely happy with the results that he obtained after 1600 grafts. For the amount of hair loss and the area, I could have transplanted 3000 grafts to obtain even better coverage with strip; however, he desired to wear his hair short at times and therefore we performed FUE on him. His hair caliber was average to slightly thinner, which for the frontal hairline and thin appearance, is to his advantage so there is not a mismatch between degrees of alopecia and the hair caliber.

StaggerLee123: I agree – the shingling effect helped this patient.

SADbutTRUE: This patient recently returned so I wanted to show that I certainly do FUE. I’ll get some other cases posted as they grow out.

Future_HT_Doc, GBU, Cant decide, chrisdav: Thank you.

Spex and Mick: I appreciate your positive comments.

Plausibleboss: To answer your question, in the preoperative photo – he has very little hair to no hair in the frontal zone which is marked out with a purple marker, and in the post op photo, he has hair in the zone that was transplanted via the FUE method. Additionally, there is a close up photograph of the frontal hairline, which was transplanted, to demonstrate the growth and result.

Spanker: Thank you for your positive comments: it looks completely natural which is what we all strive for with each case.

Portland, Oregon

503-693-1118

Dr. Gabel's Website