Dr Devroye, 3587 grafts, female temple and hairline restoration

albine

Hello everybody,

(if there are grammaticaly mistakes in my experience report i am sorry for that but my mother tongue is not english)

I also want to share my personal expierence with Dr Devroye. First of all I want to thank Indigo Blue wo encouraged me to take the step to do a surgery. She already has shown really nice results. She frequently updated with picutres and advices since her surgery with pictures and I have seen some really beautiful picutres about her recent results.

Consultation Day:

Me and my sister got to Dr Devroyes clinic on Wednesday evening. It is a really nice clinic in brussle etterbeek but Dr Devroye will be moving soon in bigger rooms with 2 personal bedrooms for the patients where they are allowed to stay after the surgery. I think this is a very good idea because the patient has the his total privacy after the surgery to recover. I think I remeber that Dr Devroye also said sth about to offer someone to help patient in the postoperative night time with all they need when they made their way up to him alone and he also mentioned to have a bigger room for the accompanying person where they can use the internet, tv and stuff like that. So far so good. Dr Devroye is a really nice person. He has the ability to calm down the patient and answers all your questions . He had a closer look at my situation and then told my what could be done. After handing me out the pre operative medicine and an surgery appointment for the next day we went back to our hotel. (2 nights were reducted from the surgery price, and it was a really nice and clean hotel which dr devroye assistant booked for me)

surgery day

My sister and I went to the clinic at 8 am where Dr devroye met us. He talked to us and calmed me down again. I have to admit i was a bit nervous. But I think everybody would be a bit nervous. Then i got a surgery blouson and a paper to read and admit for the suergery. Afterwards he took me to the surgery room where the whole team was waiting for me already. Everyone of them was nice and no one gave me an uncomfortable feeling. Hairtransplant for men and especially for women is a delicate subject which really needs to be handled carefully. Not feeling comortable would have changde everything for me. So we started to draw my new hairline.(He is a perfectionist because he is drawing it very carefully and trying to look at it from various angles). We lowered a little bit my actual hairline and filled in my temples. Dr Devroye draws his vision of a ideal hairline for me and always asked for my and my sisters feedback. The fine hair in the reciept area and my donor area got shaved (i have to admit i was a bit concerend and always had eyecontact to my sister, which is a really critical observer. as she nodded her head i knew everything is fine). After i got a valium i had to lay down on my belly in a chair and anthony the anesthestis gave me the anesthesia in my head. it wasnt much pain. The only thing i didnt really like was the fast heartbeat and a little bit shaking because of the adrenalin i got.

everything else went on well the next 2 hours, they took out the stripe (absolutly painless)

and began to make the slits in my recieptian area. (only the sound is little bit confusing but really no big deal or pain)

then they started to place the grafts. while placing them and making the slits you always get sprayed with some water to wash away the bleeding and for clean working.

At i think 1 pm we had lunch. (i was able to choose between 2 meals which the clinic provided for me and my sister)

I felt a bit dizzy but nothing serious. i think it was just the valium:D

the good thing is that i was always able to have breaks for moving a bit around, going to the restrooms or drinking something. so you dont have to wait and sit there the whole time and being concerned about am I allowed to ask for the restroom brake. during the surgery the really nice female assistant of dr devroye helped me to change my wet suergery blouson and gave me blanket and fruits and so on. all of them did a very good job and dr devroye also asked me frequently if i am feeling fine. After i think 10 hours everything was over. No big pain at all, a little bit in the end of the procedure but i think my body already was tired. You always have to keep in mind that a surgery is no game, so my body was allowed to be tired, The assistant of dr devroye also helped me to dress again and cleaned me. Afterwards they gave me the Care Package for the Postoperative treatment.

It consists of a spray which has to be sprayed every 10 minutes the wohle night til its empty (so there is no crust on the grafts), an pillow for the neck (you have to sleep in an upright position the first days), some compressions , a instruction how to go on the next weeks. As i received everything dr devroye as hisself drove me to the hotel.

At this night i sprayed my head every 10 minutes and i think the spray got empty sth about 2.30 am.

i felt asleep and woke up a few times but all in one i had sth about 5 hours sleep.

I was a bit swollen to but it went back during the night.

1st Post operative Day

The team of dr devroye and dr devroye welcomed us on the next day at 1 pm and took out my staples (you dont feel much). My head is a little bit numb but they told my its normal and would disappear soon.I got a creme for my donor area and Dr devroye had a look at my transplants, cleaned my head nicely and said i am welcome to come and see him the next day (a saturday) again. He also said i had to cool my face because my swelling came back. (but i have to say i am vulvernable for swelling and odemata)

So admitted and he called us a taxi. I have to repeat me but the Dr and the whole team was really kind to me and my sister

This night i was allowed to wash my donor area. I was really careful with that and if you take yourself enough time its no big deal.

I also cooled my face and forehead because of the swelling and had an ibuprophen against the minimal pain.

Sleeping is the same as the night before. Falling asleep and waking up--> all in on sth about 5 hours per night

2nd Post operative Day

We went to see Dr Devroye again. He welcomed us nicely again and we chatted..

I like that because it always gives me the feeling that the doctor is interested in the patient.

He had a closer look on my grafts again and donor area took some pictures.

He also said he would be pleased if we are going to stay in contact and offered me to see him again before I am going to fly back home,

the day over i was cooling my swollen face (i look funny but not too bad) and

in the evening i washed my hair gently with baby shampoo(from now on every day one week). I have to say ALWAYS BRING TIME and patient with you. My head was still a bit numb but i think its allowed.

3rd Operative Day

Sleeping the night was the same, this time without too much interrupting but still 5 hours.

I think its just because of the sleeping position because i am really not used to it to lie on my back ;)

But no pain only a little bit numb feeling on my head.

I am attaching some post operative picutres and keep you updating. For supporting me and sharing information and advices i would be very pleased.

Hear you soon:cool:

forum1.jpg.bf28c5aec0cc491bc7491c501190b91c.jpg

5b32d67fa0f29_postop2daysaa.jpg.06cbb8bc0f9eeb9126dd88921b4df50d.jpg

Today is my 4th post operative day:

the swelling is nearly gone and the redness as the numbness is already reducing.

Yesterday we made a picture of my scar. I will attach it

have a nice day :)

scar.jpg.e18ad91d6de69105222ec98176add81c.jpg

Albine,

Thanks for taking the time to share your detailed experience with Dr. Devroye and some photos of your scalp post-op. I've personally been very impressed by his work for many years and this is no exception.

It's also great to see women on here posting their experience and photos as well. While many think hair transplantation is just for men, there are many women who are well suited for the procedure if they choose to undergo surgery.

I hope you'll keep us posted on your progress by posting monthly updates with photos. I look forward to seeing your transformation over the next year :-).

Hairy wishes,

Bill

Day 7

Numbness is nearly gone and my head looks very clean. No crusts or something like that.

I am just sore because of the elavated sleeping position.

(Even though i decided to sleep in that position another 7 days because i really dont want to lose a single graft. I think I will need a really good massage afterwards).

I'm just taking the first baby steps so meanwhile i try to keep in mind:'' a watched kettle never boils"

That is a lot of grafts, which is good. Your doctor does good work. I think you will have a great outcome. Good luck.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

albine,

At 7 days post-op, you don't have to worry about sleeping in an elevated position anymore (unless Dr. Devroye recommended it). But do what you are most comfortable with.

If you do get a massage, just be sure that they don't massage your scalp in any way. Some massage therapists do scalp/face massages as part of a full body massage so it's important that you let them know upfront about your surgery and why it's important not to touch your scalp.

Best wishes and happy growing,

Bill

Thank you very much for your answers. Dr Devroye also said that there is no need because on the 7th post op the grafts should be placed already. But i have read somewhere that its better to do that til the 10th or 14th day. Sometimes there are totally different adivces spred around the web. so thank you for your expert advices

i keep you updated :)

Day 10:

Numbness is now nearly gone. just feel it on 1 or 2 little places.

The donor area yesterday night ichted a little bit. But as i had some different surgerys where

i had to get stiches, i knew when its starts to itch, cool it. i did. i put an icebag on my neck (not on the donor)before i went to bed and in the morning time there was no ichting anymore.

the grafts grew a little bit. and around them there are a litte bit flakes appearing. but everything is still clean and dry. no pain on my scalp

my sore is gone and i can sleep in a much better position and on day 14 i will start to use my normal shampoo and take my first normal shower. at the moment i am still using a cup and cleaning everything gently. it takes me 10 minutes more but i dont mind about that. i love taking time for me and myself ;)

have a nice day. keep you updated

Day 13:

Nothing hurts or ichtes just like the days before --> scalp is a little bit numb

My stiches are going to be removed tomorrow. Hope this will be ok.

My grafts are all still in the same places. Some flakes(crust) were loosening. I have a lot of flakes but i dont dare to remove them. One flake that fell out had a single hair in it. No bulb or something similar. Just the hair. Is that normal because i have read the hair should start to shed from the 14th post op day. :confused: i know 13th and 14th are not too much far apart from each other but i want to get sure if everything is allright.

I also have found an interesting link on youtube published by bernstein medical. Dr Bernstein states that the grafts should be secure after the 9th days. That calmed me down because i dont really want to lose the grafts.

Thats the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANnxHIQukoU

Waiting for your replies :cool:

Day 15:

Stitches came out and everything is progressing normally.

Dr devroye said I can put sweet almond oil on the crusts and remove them gently,

My hair is still in the same place and growing. I haven't shed a lot of grafts til now. The attached pic is with the oil on it.

image.jpg.1c528cccda2c7333fc122a5a5db42bcb.jpg

Keep us posted. It's hard getting through the period immediately after the transplant but keep in mind where you will be in 4 or 5 months when the growth kicks in. It's a great feeling.

Somehow I feel it's much harder for women. I have no doubt you'll turn out with a mega result.

4800+ grafts, Dr Bisanga, Brussels, Oct 2012

My Photos

Yes I know what you mean. Patience has to be improved. Thank you for your support, I really appreciate it. Means lot to me to know that there are some men and woman who totally understand what I am going through. Hear you soon and have a nice Sunday

• 1 month later...

Week 11:

A week ago the regrowth kicked in. I am uploading some pictures but the quality isn't very good.i am just using my mobile phone cam because I am visiting a friend in Vienna so I willbe abl ablew to take pic with better quality when I am back home next week. Cheers

PicsArt_1365677227689.jpg.0e9899ba2608c26d0cd4003971e2c555.jpg

PicsArt_1365677144674.jpg.d4d4e04d759dd7f2c927766488aae9f3.jpg

Hi Albine

Your growth has started relatively early, I'm pleased for you. You are over the worst part now, and for the next couple of months you can expect it just to get better and better - enjoy.

Modenese

Edited by Modenese
typo

4800+ grafts, Dr Bisanga, Brussels, Oct 2012

My Photos

Hi Albine,

Your photos look great! It looks to me as if Dr Devroye has done a great job. Everything appears to be very neat and tidy, and your progress is really good for just 11 / 12 weeks.

Just be patient, and by the summer I expect you will see some really dramatic changes!

I'll send you a private email later :)

IndigoBlue

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...