the gym after hair transplant

how long would you take off from weights after ht, seems to be conflicting answers ,some say a few weeks some say months, basically the whole reason for taking off from heavy weights is cuz it can stretch the scar, witch makes sense, im thinking that maybe after 3 months the scar would be healed enuf not to stretch, but idk what do you guys think

I can't find the link now, but I found on an American university website (it looked like a good source to me) that scar tissue has only got about 60% of normal skin tensile strength by 3 to 4 month, rising to 80% after 12 months. The graph didn't go beyond 1 year, so I'm left wondering if it ever reaches 100%.

This is why many surgeons do a 2-stage closure (my surgeon Bisanga is a case in point). External stitches (epidermis) you can see, and internal stitches in the dermis that dissolve over a 3 to 4 month period (so although I'm 3 to 4 months out, I may actually still have stitches).

The fact is that what people do at the gym varies enormously, so it depends in my view.

I have recently had a large FUT procedure and have kept away. I'm about 1 week away from 4 months.

I will probably gently go back, with caution, at 5 months. When I do, I will be careful to monitor the exercises I do. In the meantime, I walk 8 miles per day.

FUE patients are totally, totally different. Go back when the wounds have closed - purely because gyms are places that have a lot of bacteria.

4800+ grafts, Dr Bisanga, Brussels, Oct 2012

My Photos

Hi

I certainly took it easy the first week or so but after, I began light cardio. Shortly after, I started LIGHT weights and then by the time my stitches were out, I was working out regulary ( still very light with very deliberate breathing so not to stretch the donor area). I would say by about 3 months I was back to normal BUT i'm not a powerlifter or anything.

Your doctor will give you a post op document which gives you a time frame

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

I was told 30 days but no detail on the magnitude of weights.

What is considered "light" weight? Light enough to not require heavy breathing? I assume they're trying to avoid the strain that's caused when you try to lift something really heavy and you hold your breath and all the blood rushes to your face. Does this include lower body exercises?

I would specifically ask your doctor to be safe.

From my 3 FUT ( the FUE was minor) experience, the main caution is excess tension on the donor area ( I'm not talking the first week or so which is certainly off limits). Heavy or significant lifting is a stressful activity which causes pressure, especially when breathing is not correct. Cardio is not biggie as long as you are not running a marathon or killing it. light weights and moderate cardio was fine for me and after 2 months or so I was back to regular lifting with a cautionary mindset AND deliberate breathing.

At the end of the day, common sense goes a long way - be careful and take it easy allowing the donor area to heal without excess tension or pressure.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

• 2 weeks later...
I would specifically ask your doctor to be safe.

From my 3 FUT ( the FUE was minor) experience, the main caution is excess tension on the donor area ( I'm not talking the first week or so which is certainly off limits). Heavy or significant lifting is a stressful activity which causes pressure, especially when breathing is not correct. Cardio is not biggie as long as you are not running a marathon or killing it. light weights and moderate cardio was fine for me and after 2 months or so I was back to regular lifting with a cautionary mindset AND deliberate breathing.

At the end of the day, common sense goes a long way - be careful and take it easy allowing the donor area to heal without excess tension or pressure.

Are you referring to blood pressure? I was thinking that lower body exercises would be fine since they cause no tension on the donor area but if blood pressure is a concern then I guess any exercise is a risk. I'll ask my doctor.

i certainly would not chance it within the first 3 months unless you want to chance a stretched.scar... lots of weight exercise use the neck muscles as stabilizers much like bench press works you triceps as well as pecks. with fue i would wait 2 weeks for all the swelling, scabbing etc to go down.

Post op instructions from Dr. Rahal are to wait 1 month post op before doing light exercise like cardio and 3 months before resuming normal weight training. I seriously am losing my mind without getting to the gym, I can't wait!

Post op instructions from Dr. Rahal are to wait 1 month post op before doing light exercise like cardio and 3 months before resuming normal weight training. I seriously am losing my mind without getting to the gym, I can't wait!

That sounds like a good plan but it's going to drive me crazy too. I haven't been to the gym in almost 2 months already. I was hoping to at least do some push-ups but maybe that's considered heavy lifting (I'm not heavy). I guess the rowing machine will have to suffice.