Need some advise: Considering a HT

hi all, my first post here - I'm considering a HT but not sure what to do next! I've been reading through some of the threads on the forum to get an idea of options but I'm a bit stuck now as there seems to be so many options regarding surgeons, fue or fut, etc!

Would appreciate some advice \ guidance .. some stuff about me:

Hair Loss: I think I'm a norwood 3a .. (pics attached)

Meds: Been on minoxodil 5% for the last 5 years or so

I'm willing to travel for the best outcome, I've included some pics so you can see what my current situation is. The first 3 were taken with the flash on.

Appreciate any help!

thanks

20130126_134508.jpg.2445b253271ff489f137c7829df0e1b8.jpg

20130126_134517.jpg.9870fd176e977189f7b25667b492c4f3.jpg

20130126_134543.jpg.a0166804cf70e10c74c17050a882df19.jpg

20130126_134650.jpg.6bbaf069a92edfc9db2d9491682110ec.jpg

20130126_134717.jpg.3302e2899826791dd82fe7eb7d62b9d4.jpg

20130126_134731.jpg.e10211c6661f8aff3fe8b69ed34f0dad.jpg

Hello mate,

That picture of the donor region, with flash, concerns me as it seems there is some loss deep into that area. It may just be the flash reflecting off that area which makes it look thin.

Others may beg to differ.

I think you need to try propecia and with good results, my opinion would be to get a few thousand FUE to rebuild the hairline.

Anyway, lets see what other posters think..

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

thanks a lot for the responses and advice so far!

I have looked into Propecia before, I'm just not comfortable with the potential side effects. I'm planning to continue with minoxidil, am used to the couple of minutes of hassle in the morning and before bed :)

adding some more pics of the donor area that will hopefully help determine if the donor is suitable, please let me know what you think

can anyone recommend potential surgeons? planning to then get a consultation and get started!!

20130126_184525.jpg.176b3a87d95eaa38060062deed33a592.jpg

20130126_184532.jpg.05817d3d36d158597691ce54fd3313ff.jpg

20130126_184550.jpg.8d90c1fb8ba5cf96d7b5f64930166812.jpg

I think you are a great canidate for a procedure, your donor hair looks fine to me. You are at a perfect age to be able to get good results and enjoy your hairline going into your 40's. I would consult with a recommended doctor on this forum closest to you. The only exception is if you wanted and were a good candidate for a 4000 plus session, then I would go to someone ilke a Hasson and Wong. Some advice: Start doing scalp laxity exercises and secondly go for the largest session possible to get as many grafts the first time. Best of luck, I know you will be satisfied with the end result. Tom

Consult with several clinics. I think you could get a huge benefit from surgery. You may want to rethink Propecia. If you don't have side effects, it is the best thing you can do to slow down loss and maybe regrow some hair. A few great clinics to consult with would be Shapiro Medical Group, Hassan & Wong, Dr. Konior, Dr. Rahal, True & Dorin, and there are others. You can start with online consults and go from there. That would be your best approach in my opinion.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

thanks a lot for the responses and advice so far!

I have looked into Propecia before, I'm just not comfortable with the potential side effects. I'm planning to continue with minoxidil, am used to the couple of minutes of hassle in the morning and before bed :)

adding some more pics of the donor area that will hopefully help determine if the donor is suitable, please let me know what you think

can anyone recommend potential surgeons? planning to then get a consultation and get started!!

I think your donor area looks fine. Hasson & Wong in Vancouver would be a safe bet and 4000 grafts should be sufficient. What's the pattern of hair loss in your family?

I think your donor area looks fine. Hasson & Wong in Vancouver would be a safe bet and 4000 grafts should be sufficient. What's the pattern of hair loss in your family?

Thanks, my dad's bald.. His brothers though (5 of them) have held onto their hair well. On my mums side the males seen to be pretty lucky with hair also.

Edited by nikHairHT

From those 2nd set of pictures you posted, I also believe you would be a good candidate. Hasson and Wong is hard to go wrong with and I recently had one done with Dr Wong that was over 4000 grafts. Definitely don't be afraid to travel, as they will pay for a lot of your plane ticket and a place to stay for a couple of nights.

thanks, how about fue due to the less obvious scar (I usually wear my hair short, esp on the back and sides)

I understand the cost will be more, I'm ok with that if it means getting a decent results with less obvious scarring..

would that be an option, something like 3000 grafts FUE?

thanks, how about fue due to the less obvious scar (I usually wear my hair short, esp on the back and sides)

I understand the cost will be more, I'm ok with that if it means getting a decent results with less obvious scarring..

would that be an option, something like 3000 grafts FUE?

Feriduni is great with FUE and 3,000 would most likely be possible with your donor area via FUE. The scarring is also less evident with FUE in 95% of cases. Some FUT advocates proclaim that FUE causes a greater 'area' of scarring, but it is much less obvious and you will be able to shave down shorter with FUE(grade 1 or 2). If you keep your hair at the back and sides at a grade 1 or 2, I would stay with FUE.

nikhairht, just understand once you do it, you are in it for life. 3,000-4,000 will take care of you for now, but when the rest of your hair goes, especially that nice mass of hair you have in the middle, you are going to need another 3,000 and up.

Feriduni is great with FUE and 3,000 would most likely be possible with your donor area via FUE. The scarring is also less evident with FUE in 95% of cases. Some FUT advocates proclaim that FUE causes a greater 'area' of scarring, but it is much less obvious and you will be able to shave down shorter with FUE(grade 1 or 2). If you keep your hair at the back and sides at a grade 1 or 2, I would stay with FUE.

Yeah that's what I was thinking..I've requested an online consultation from Feriduni, hopefully will have some info from that soon. Thanks for your post! Definitely would feel better knowing that I could still shave down to a number 1

nikhairht, just understand once you do it, you are in it for life. 3,000-4,000 will take care of you for now, but when the rest of your hair goes, especially that nice mass of hair you have in the middle, you are going to need another 3,000 and up.

Sure I understand that there could be further HTs down the line.. Definitely taking my time to decide before I take the plunge!!

Yeah that's what I was thinking..I've requested an online consultation from Feriduni, hopefully will have some info from that soon. Thanks for your post! Definitely would feel better knowing that I could still shave down to a number 1

Just beware champ. At 3,000 grafts, shaving down to a grade 1 most likely will not look like how your donor looks now shaved down to a grade 1. You might notice a difference whilst others around you would not look twice. FUE is great, but it would be best to think of worst case scenario of shaving down to a grade 2(or 1.5) and it would be totally undetectable. If you manage a grade 1, even better. Not trying to scare you off FUE at all, as you can shave down much more than compared to FUT.

There were some great docs mentioned in this post. You seem like an ideal candidate and 4000 grafts would certainly "fix" things for now. The challenge is you future loss pattern is unknown and as you are not on Propecia, you might lose future hair.

Speak with a couple docs and see who you like the best

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

thanks for all the suggestions and help so far - I'm off to see Dr. Bisanga next week for a consultation!

Been looking at some of his FUE results online - very impressed :D

Based on the pictures I've been told around 2500 would be the way to go, but I expect we'll go through more details at the consultation.

Any suggestions on questions I should cover? I'm a bit excited and want to be sure I cover everything before I commit to the procedure..

Where abouts in the world are you living?

If you are prepared to travel to Turkey, the surgeons who did my 2,800 FUE were exceptional. About half the price of other places and they are top class facilities.

Have a look at my thread on here to see what results you get :-) and drop me an email if i can help in any way.

By the way, your donor looks fine and i'd say you have over 4,000 available, but i'd probably use 3,000 at this stage and save the rest for a top up if you decide you need one some time in the distant future.

Regards

Rob

2800 FUE, Istanbul