Hair Duplication and ACell: Hope for a Full Head of Hair? Updates

"Hair duplication" formerly known as "autocloning" coupled with ACell has been a hot topic of discussion amongst patients and hair restoration physicians due to its potential to provide hair loss sufferers with an unlimited donor hair supply and a full head of hair.

But how does hair duplication work and has there been any success with it lately? Below, Coalition member Dr. Jerry Cooley provides the community with indepth insight on the procedure and some success he's been having with it. For more information on the procedure and its potential including photos, visit the below link.

"Updates on Hair Duplication (AutoCloning) and ACell: Hope For a Hair Loss Cure – By Dr. Jerry Cooley"

What is your opinion?

We look forward to your input.

Best wishes,

Bill

First, I would say that Dr. Cooley did a great job in his research and presentation.

I have seen cases where Acell looked like it worked well, and cases where it didn't. I am not yet convinced that it is good for all patients. I do wish my scar was softer, so maybe if could have some benefits.

As far as autocloning, clearly we can see that it CAN work. I would like to see a lot more cases, but it already looks like it could be a last resort for a very rich person. The problem with it is that at this point, unless you have Oprah money, you aren't going to want to pay 6 to 10 bucks a graft for 10-20 percent growth.

Hopefully the method gets perfected someday.

I would also like see a beard to face autocloning experiment. If a person with a patchy beard had hairs plucked and put back on his face, what is the success rate of that?

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• 1 month later...

I appreciate Dr. Cooley's presentation. After Dr. Rassman's study failed to achieve results, I think most people gave up on hair plucking as a viable option. The fact that hair plucking only works when the plucked grafts are placed near existing hair may explain why other studies have failed.

I am also intrigued by Dr. Cooley's presentation about Acell + PRP. If his results are as good as they appear to be from the pictures, it would seem that this combination is far more significant than anything we can expect from the major companies working on hair multiplication, if they even work at all.

One thing I would like to hear more about is success rates. For example, if plucked hair is placed within existing hair, what is the success rate? How many patients experience growth and what are the growth rates?

I have the same question regarding PRP. When done in thinning areas, what percentage of patients respond?

Assuming that Dr. Cooley's presentation established the possibility of plucking and Acell + PRP, I think we need this information to determine if it is truly a game changer.

Would love to hear thoughts on these issues from forum member or the doctors who are pioneering these methods.

Dr. Cooley,

Thank you for the presentation and the detail of your information. A couple of questions, can you explain in layman terms the importance of proper hydration with FU'S in achieving a optimal outcome, and what happens to the FU's if they are not properly hydrated?

In terms of PRP+Acell, the results you have posted are not bad, from your experience are these types of results consistent in your practice?

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Its hard to judge PRP + Acell's effectiveness. Before Dr. Cooley's presentation, I thought the procedure was pretty much dead. Dr. Cooley's pictures are by far the best Ive seen, but it seems there should be a lot more examples if this procedure is being used on a regular basis. It would be nice to get some idea of the consistency in its effectiveness from the doctors who are using it. If it works 5% of the time, its probably not worth trying. But if there is a 50% or higher success rate, it probably is worth trying. Unfortunately, we have no indication what the success rate is and I think that is generally a bad sign.