Cutis Verticis Gyrata

Yeah, I wasnt even considering a scalp reduction until Dr. Cooley brought it up. I was only was going to get 1500 to 2000 grafts, I knew at the time it wouldnt be enough to completely cover the CVG. If you are considering both i would definitely consider doing the scalp reduction first. It makes the area of hair loss smaller so you would need less grafts to cover it. If you got a HT first, im guessing you probably could lose some grafts when they remove some of the skin.

I absolutely kept it from everyone, I would just wear a hat or bandanna or something. As far as taking off from work, I was in between jobs at the time so it was a perfect time to get both procedures. If you are looking for more an estimate of how long you should take off, I'd probably ask your doc. If you want a more detailed process of what I did just let me know. I did not experience any shock loss but i can definitely understand how that could happen. I always wondered does one still have shock loss if they shave their head in those areas prior? My head was shaved for the procedure, It actually made it very very uncomfortable when my hair started to grow back through the sutures because my hair is so course.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys - I have CVG as well. I haven't visited this site in a while ,so glad to see some recent posts.

Is the Dr. Cooley referenced the one located in NC? I haven't been able to find anyone in Dallas that is familiar / experienced with CVG and various solutions (reduction / transplant).

• 3 years later...

22M here. Just found out i have CVG, and experiencing thinning aswell. My hair rapidly fell out within the course of 4 months. I had zero balding before that.

I really want to hear from all the people in this thread how your CVG has turned out years later. Is it the same, or worse? Please, please, please. If you have CVG and see this message, respond!

Also, i am happy to take all advice i can get for CVG and the hair loss that comes with it.

It would be really nice to start a chat group or find someone to talk to about CVG that also have it. Please send me a message and i will respond!

• 2 months later...

Hey all. Just set diagnosed as well. 35 years old. Decided to buzz my head as my hair was thinning in the front and the crown. When I did I discovered I had cvg. Looking for any kind of support group to talk about this. Possibly a Facebook page? Really kind of self deflating and depressing and not knowing where to really start. 

• 3 months later...

A week ago I got a hair transplant and found out I have CVG. For now, it is not a huge problem since I never noticed it. So if I grow my hair out again I won't notice it.

What worries me:I read CVG is progressive. Is secondary CVG progressive too? Has anyone experienced it got worse over time?

zijaanzicht rechts.jpg

Vooraanzicht.jpg

1603484371183.jpg

Edited by alex85

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all your posts. I found them informative. 

The first time I discovered CVG was when I was 22 and it wasn't very noticeable. Something that I ignored. Now, I am 32 and the condition has worsened. My hair is thinning and so I wanted to keep my hair short. But if I do, the ridges look really bad. I have been doing some research and wondering if an underlying cause has ever been found. 

Has anyone of you undergone tests related to pituitary/endocrine gland functionality ?. I am planning to get these tests done before discussing my options around surgery/medication.  

• 1 month later...

I also have a mild case of CVG and decided to get a FUT procedure to cover some of the furrows and remove some of the extra skin on scalp at the start of this year.  

Does anyone with experience on the matter think a doctor would sign a medical necessity form so that a hair transplant could be paid through an HSA?  

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

First time poster here, just got diagnosed with CVG today (34 years old). I noticed a small ridge to the right of my crown 2 years ago but I never had any pain or pressure in that area. No progression until 2 months ago when I noticed another ridge next to it, as well as a small amount of pressure beginning to build on my scalp. I visited a dermatologist 2 months ago (Dec 2020) who said "oh I think you have a super rare skin condition called CVG." She sent me off for an MRI and the results came back today. My MRI report says I have "uncomplicated diffuse CVG" - in that the thickening is all over my scalp, but the ridges next to my crown are the only bits where it is currently noticeable. I am otherwise very fit and healthy, Caucasian, and I have a full head of hair (no baldness whatsoever). 

I think my CVG is progressing quite quickly (I'm feeling pressure in the area and am noticing new ridges). I live in Canada. Does anyone have any recommendations on where I should start? My dermatologist has no suggestions. It's getting me down pretty badly!

Thanks,

AG