20 year old balding? Please help...depressed.

jfox223

Guys, I've somewhat importunately already posted a few threads of this ilk, but the panic is such that I want to present a few more pics. This time, however, my hair's wet, which should hopefully delineate my hairline a little more markedly. Apologies for how incessant I am, but I really do think I'm moving beyond a NW2/ my hair's now cosmetically unappealing. I've been taking Finpecia for 10 days without side effects; some forum users have claimed Goa (Verna Estate) Facility Finpecia is either fake or ineffective, yet finances continue to dictate economically viable choices.

The pictures don't quite capture some nuanced details. For example, both temples are sort of curved, and are continuing to curve I'd imagine, i.e. at the sides of the head. It's producing the classic MPB U-shape/horse-shoe shape in the frontal portion of my head a little too early (at 20) than I'd care for.

With this shape currently taking form, I'd guess that as a younger man, my hair loss is likely to degenerate even further in a relatively short period of time; this must be more than a mature hairline. The corners reach a depth of slightly over an inch which is consistent with mature hairline dimensions. It is, however, the current shaping of my temporal sides that concerns me. I was under the impression they remained straight or at least very intact...all this is so confusing. Do bear in mind I've always had a rather large forehead, but I definitely feel quite a deal of recession's going on notwithstanding. If you look closely, you'll see quite a few very small hairs at the hairline's edge. Although they're probably miniaturising, perhaps Finpecia's acting quickly?:P:P

Can anyone clarify/estimate the gravity of my hairloss/reassure me?:P

Sorry for whining guys...v worried young person here...

John

IMG0001.jpg.f37674e7d71f07af5d8517163dc348cf.jpg

IMG0002.jpg.0f4fa22e66c8d72c048fe07ba231f6c2.jpg

IMG0003.jpg.d5fa2a47d62e31e9d1fdf161adec2236.jpg

IMG0004.jpg.37865c7d463a4db783a6831a3197e8d2.jpg

IMG0005.jpg.211b16c341847c9cfe5136956da7a253.jpg

IMG0006.jpg.2abfcbf938e1eb47858e743597ac0829.jpg

IMG0007.jpg.e00e80a09ebf4e4a6db5d6a9c23a451d.jpg

I would not be to concerned If I was you, It looks like from the pictures that you have some recession around the temples and some to the hairline itself but it could just be that your developing a more mature hairline at a younger age. There is no way that after 10 days finepecia is having an effect so I would count that out. If price is an issue with propecia get your physician to write you a script for finasteride. I switched to it after a year on propecia because I was tired of paying $85 a month for it. The finasteride comes in a 5mg pill which I cut into quarters. I pay about $12 for a 3 month supply from Healthwarehouse.com. Take a look at my pictures and see the results I had after just 2 years and my hair was thinning horribly. Just realize that you have to be patient with the pills and give them time. Other than that your hair does not look bad at all buddy, there are plenty of guys that would kill for hair like yours.

I would not be to concerned If I was you, It looks like from the pictures that you have some recession around the temples and some to the hairline itself but it could just be that your developing a more mature hairline at a younger age. There is no way that after 10 days finepecia is having an effect so I would count that out. If price is an issue with propecia get your physician to write you a script for finasteride. I switched to it after a year on propecia because I was tired of paying $85 a month for it. The finasteride comes in a 5mg pill which I cut into quarters. I pay about $12 for a 3 month supply from Healthwarehouse.com. Take a look at my pictures and see the results I had after just 2 years and my hair was thinning horribly. Just realize that you have to be patient with the pills and give them time. Other than that your hair does not look bad at all buddy, there are plenty of guys that would kill for hair like yours.

Thanks for the advice, man:) What would you estimate my Norwood classification to be? And by 'more mature hairline', do you mean a mature hairline, or beyond that?

What's the family history of hairloss like? Is your hair similar to your mother or father?

I have similar hair to my mother and similar loss pattern to her brothers. Therefore, I believe I will progress into a similar pattern to them (NW4/5) eventually.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

What's the family history of hairloss like? Is your hair similar to your mother or father?

I have similar hair to my mother and similar loss pattern to her brothers. Therefore, I believe I will progress into a similar pattern to them (NW4/5) eventually.

My mother insists my hair looks far more like my father's side, and none of his brothers or father went completely bald. At 47, my father probably has a NW 1.5. The rest of his brothers are in their late forties also, and they look NW 2.5ish...all guesswork really, but their hairlines have very evidently receded without ever properly balding. One brother is in his early thirties with a widow's peak and a NW 2; his hairline shape is at odds with mine, however.

Both my maternal grandfather and one of two maternal uncles went entirely bald by their 40s, whilst the other has retained a sort of mature hairline look. The prognosis, if I were to extrapolate thence, looks bleak. We'll just have to see, distressing though it is.

If you are depressed about hair like that then I would hate to see what being a NW6 would do to you.

Your hair looks amazing.

Take MK92's advice on the generic finasteride 5 MG. So cheap. I pay $9 for a three month supply from Walmart.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

• 4 weeks later...

hello brotha,

even i had similar loss when i was 20, now i am 23 and easily NW 3 and depressed.

Even i thought my hairline was maturing but sadly i was going bald.

DONT waste a single day start finasteride(either 0.5mg or 1mg by consulting the Doctor only)

Educate yourself about the meds and have them. The best would be maintain the hair that you have got now . BEST OF LUCK :)

Hi there Jfox,

Many men start to experience hair loss at around your age, or even younger. One of our patients, a 25 year old male, just recently had a hair transplant procedure done because he expressed many of the same feelings that you have. However, it is still difficult to tell how far your hair loss will actually progress. If you are concerned, then the best bet would be to schedule a consultation with a doctor and have him evaluate you. Also, you may want to consider Finasteride with the approval of your doctor. All the best, Michael.

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum