Potential Coalition Membership for Dr. James DeYarman of La Jolla, California

Dear forum members,

As many of you know, we gather as much information as possible about a physician, their staff, technique and track record before they are even considered for recommendation on the Hair Transplant Network or membership in the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians. Part of our review process involves getting input from patients and the members of this forum community. To learn more about this review process, click here.

We’d like to gather your input and opinions regarding the potential Coalition membership for Dr. James DeYarman of La Jolla, California.

Dr. DeYarman's previous Coalition membership was suspended years ago due to concerns we had that may have affected his patient results. However, we genuinely believe that he has resolved all of our previous concerns and is performing large sessions of ultra refined follicular unit hair transplantation exceeding 4000 grafts when appropriate for the patient.

Dr. DeYarman also uses PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma), ACell, custom blades and all other means to assure optimal results. His use of PRP and ACell is often provided at no additional cost to the patient.

Dr. DeYarman's large staff of 7 technicians are also very veteran averaging 8 plus years of experience. By all indications, he and his staff are garnering consistent high quality results.

Dr. DeYarman has over 32 years of experience and performs hair transplant surgery exclusively at his clinic in La Jolla, California. Dr. DeYarman offers both follicular unit hair transplantation (FUT) and follicular unit extraction (FUE) and operates on only one patient per day.

Dr. DeYarman harvests the donor strip using a single blade and closes the wound using staples and the trichophytic closure technique. Alternatively, Dr. DeYarman will use sutures if the patient has a preference. Dr. DeYarman varies the width of the strip in order to reduce the traction forces and tension on the wound. He also inserts a 2mm strip of ACell in the donor bed prior to closure for optimal healing. Dr. DeYarman feels that this combination significantly reduces the appearance of scarring. To learn more about ACell, click here.

Dr. James DeYarman creates tiny recipient incisions using custom blades as small as .6mm in order to minimize trauma to the scalp. This in conjunction with creating microscopically prepared ultra refined or "skinny" grafts enables him to dense pack up to 50 FU/cm2 when appropriate for the patient.

Before transplanting follicular units into recipient sites, Dr. DeYarman injects .1cc of PRP into the incisions followed by a 2 minute scalp massage for maximum absorption. Because the body increases platelets while healing itself, injecting PRP may provide an automatic increase in platelets and in theory, should promote optimal healing.

Dr. DeYarman is dedicated to natural hairline reconstruction and uses only 1 haired follicular units for placement in the hairline. In order to create the most natural looking hairline and results, Dr. DeYarman uses a one centimeter grid on each patient's hairline and uses Adobe Photoshop to assist with hairline design.

Dr. DeYarman uses Dr. Jim Harris' motorized SAFE Scribe during FUE with punches ranging from .8mm to 1.0 mm in size. In his hands, Dr. DeYarman feels confident that this device maximizes both quality and quantity of the grafts during the extraction process. Additionally, because this tool uses “blunt dissection” as opposed to a sharp punch, angle and direction of the punch is less critical to avoid transection of the hair follicle.

Given Dr. DeYarman's vast experience in performing ultra refined hair transplants and providing only the best results, in my opinion, he should be reconsidered for Coalition membership.

In recent weeks, Dr. DeYarman has presented numerous examples of his recent procedure and results on this forum. Dr. DeYarman's Recent Patient and Surgical photos can be found below:

3104 Grafts with Dr. DeYarman

4996 Grafts with Dr. DeYarman

4728 Grafts with Dr. DeYarman

3500 Grafts with Dr. DeYarman

1500 Grafts with Dr. DeYarman

4000 Grafts with Dr. DeYarman

3500 Grafts with Dr. DeYarman

Introduction to Dr. DeYarman's Technique and Surgical Album

You can find additional examples of his work by visiting the “Results Posted by Leading Hair Transplant Clinics” forum and by using the “search” feature.

I welcome input and comments from forum members regarding his potential recommendation.

To view our standards for recommendation, click here.

Onwards and Upwards,

Bill

I would like to see a few more results but I have enjoyed most of what I have seen so far.

Maybe even hear from an actual patient.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Considering that his coalition status was previously suspended and since then he was not even recommnded on here until this new request, personally and irrespective of the results posted, I think he should start out with a non coalition recommendation and eventually "Graduate" to coalition status once members see more results and build that level of comfort back up.

As an aside, I think too many docs on here have been given "Coalition" status. In my opinion, the "Coalition" status is being diluted and instead should be only for the best of the best. IMO, at least half of the coalition docs are good but not the "Best of the best".

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

Well, to be honest, after you wrote that Cant Decide, I looked at the list of 37 coalition doctors. Using you gauge as the best of the best, I would have stricken 17 to 18 of the doctors and have never heard or seen a result from 2 of them.

Dr. Arthur Tykocinski and Leonard E. Aronovitz, D.O. are the 2 I can't recall seeing a result on.

You make a good point.

I also understand that this website is somewhat of a business and it takes money to run it. I don't know if the fee to be a coalition member is higher than the fee to be able to post results.

Besides the individual skill each clinic has, I feel like we, as the posters and HT recipients do the community the greatest service of vetting the best docs regardless of their status as recommended, coalition, etc. Then that is followed by the dedication of each clinic to document their results in a regular and reasonable manor. The "coalition" status, in my opinion, is FAR below these two things.

That said, there will be a few people that don't do their research, sees a coalition doctor that is close to them and pulls the trigger.

Even each top doc has their own niche, and no doctor is a one stop shop for everyone's needs. I NW5 would not want to focus on a doctor that specializes in 2500 graft hair line cases, and a NW2 may want to consider the doctor who creates soft but dense hairlines but may have never done and 8k graft case, so even if you are going to chose between top docs, your individual needs will still be satisfied through diligent research, regardless of the coalition status.

This doctor's work looks pretty good so far, and as good as at least half of the physician's that are on the list.

I really have no opinion as to yes or no, but I don't think the quality of his work will bring the average of the group's down.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Guys,

Thanks for your thoughtful input so far. I understand your concerns and why you might be a little hesitant to approve a physician for the Coalition rather than having them "graduate up" from being recommended. However, since Dr. DeYarman was previously a Coalition member and every piece of evidence shows he's doing large sessions of ultra refined hair transplantation with ecxellent results, I feel confident that he meets our demanding standards for the Coalition.

While many physicians recommended by our community have been approved for Coalition membership, I can assure you that it's only because we genuinely believe they've merited inclusion by their dedication to large sessions of ultra refined follicular unit hair transplantation with excellent results. Examples of each physicians results can be found on this forum and on their Coalition/recommendation profiles.

Also, just because a physician isn't as well known or as highly visible online, doesn't mean that they aren't doing world class hair transplantation. While our community has encouraged physicians to become more active on our forum, many physicians do world renowned work behind the scenes quietly with very little recognition. This includes the Coalition surgeons mentioned by Spanker (Dr. Tykocinski and Dr. Aronovitz). Those physicians who are more actively involved get the lion's share of patients because their more well known and visible on the web. Those who aren't as active suffer a little as a result. However, we have confidence in the ability of those we recommend, including those who aren't as active on the forum.

Many physicians recommended by our community have been visited and observed in live surgery by Patrick Hennessey, publisher of the Hair Transplant Network. To see the highlights of Pat's visits, view "Visits to Leading Hair Transplant Clinics". To date, we're the only hair restoration community that prescreens surgeons by verifying their work in person.

As Spanker suggested, while we do a lot of work in prescreening and approving only those surgeons who produce excellent results, we encourage all prospective patients to do their own due diligence in researching any and all surgeons they are considering. Each patient comes with their own set of goals, needs and characteristics and which surgeon is "best" for one patient may not be the "best" for another.

While we use objective criteria to approve physicians for recommendation and Coalition membership, selecting a physician is also very subjective. Thus, we recommend a variety of physicians with an assortment of philosophies, approaches, and techniques. However, each physician recommended by this community has a proven ability in producing world class results.

I encourage you to view our standards both for recommendation and Coalition membership to see what makes them different. This information can be found on our physician standards page.

Best wishes,

Bill

I support reinstating Dr. DeYarman in the Coalition. The results I've seen shared on the forums are excellent, and I definitely think he's meeting the high standards.

Additionally, I'm glad Bill was able to clear up some of the concerns.

Look forward to more member feedback!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thanks for everyone's input on the potential Coalition membership for Dr. James DeYarman. While I understand a few reservations to approve a physician for Coalition without graduating up, he was previously a Coalition member and now that all of our concerns have long since been resolved, all the evidence indicates that he is doing world class hair transplants with excellent results.

I also scanned through the discussion forum and patient websites and found a few of his patients, all of which seem happy with their experience and/or results. Follow the links below to their blogs/forum topics:

Asian Chinese's Patient Website: 2210 Grafts with Dr. DeYarman

Semicrzy Patient Website - 2800 Grafts with Dr. DeYarman

Baldcasanova's Experience with Photos with Dr. DeYarman

Vladimir's Experience with Dr. DeYarman

Given there are no strong objections and feedback we received, in particular, private input by several leading physicians have been positive in conjunction with the results we've seen on this forum, I think Dr. DeYarman should be amongst the ranks of the Coalition. Thus, we've gone ahead and approved Dr. James DeYarman for membership in the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physcians.

I expect we'll continue to see great things from Dr. DeYarman over the next several months as he continues to present several additional examples of his results. To view his Coalition profile, click here.

Best wishes,

Bill