Opinions Needed

rmlove

Please see post op photos and 8+ months. Had FUT on 04/19/12 2200 grafts, 1700 in frontal and 500 crown. Not happy with results...Now looking to proceed with another FUT with a different physician. Was this a failed procedure?

IMG_0625.jpg.69cea576007927dff258e0c21c4f9bb2.jpg

IMG_0626.jpg.565afd07f7f173f3eb1e0a69407c4088.jpg

IMG_0627.jpg.78cc3bdd5f918c27e2a630d06577eabf.jpg

IMG_0628.jpg.385cdaf18517b2ddcdeba2edfeaaf0f8.jpg

IMG_1546.jpg.a7ed31337f74ad914f72d3e7107e3e97.jpg

IMG_1547.jpg.b590c0f7f0721b782d97865cd2d29ebf.jpg

IMG_1603.jpg.35a2cd186b623ceb5b97969df6fdf82c.jpg

IMG_1616.jpg.002f9a14195787ed47893e06b64de034.jpg

Not sure that I would call it failed, just low density. You could have done 3500 grafts in the same area covered and it would have been more dense. Do you have any non shaved preops? You can see that your crown is thinning in the last pic, but it is hard to compare to a shaved pic. How old are you?

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Currently 30 years old on finasteride 1.1 mg, Rogaine foam as well. I do have some prior post -op photos showing previous state. What would having another procedure at 9 months be to soon? Does my first procedure look like I received 1700 grafts also what would be recommendations for number of grafts for round 2? Thanks.

IMG_0168.jpg.eef54825e979f803765b81e1078ba3f0.jpg

IMG_0427.jpg.a792730730baf110e0779dc5cee4fc72.jpg

Hi RMLove

As spanker says, it's just not dense. However, I think you've got a nice head of hair and have a good, natural result.

My opinion is do nothing. You may lose further hair in the future, and may want a procedure later on. I'd wait a while to see how your crown develops, and what happens to your hair as you move through your 30's.

4800+ grafts, Dr Bisanga, Brussels, Oct 2012

My Photos

Definitely not failed, it's a big improvement! I think you just didn't get enough grafts to get the sufficient coverage you were looking for......but it's a nice result 2300 grafts over such a big area.

Gives you an excellent starting point for round 2.

[edit] Plus it IS only 8 months, there should be more improvement to come...

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

I would probably wait 12 months at least, just for the donor area. After 9 or 10 months you will likely not get any new growth but your hair will mature and thicken some.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I agree with what others here have said. You look to have gotten the appropriate result for the number of grafts that were transplanted to the real estate there was to cover. The work itself looks solid and already you have achieved a significant cosmetic improvement, which should get even better as the transplanted hairs mature.

Can I ask: Was the number of grafts transplanted a function of budget or was it a matter of your donor laxity and/or density, or a matter of your doctor wanting to be conservative with how many grafts he took at your age, or something else? As Spanker said, for the amount and pattern of your hair loss, a session in the neighborhood of 3,500 grafts might have been ideal, all things being equal.

Pupdaddy, physician didn't perform any type of donor area density, physician's clinical liaison had reviewed donor area and said area was fine for FUT but without relaying a amount of yield. We discussed my current budget of 9k or below and that was how this adventure began. He stated that 2200 would be a nice cosmetic improvement. I basically relied on their knowledge to give me the best results first hand. I just don't care for current density, with summer fast approaching is primary reason to have another procedure within the month of Feb., instead of waiting the 12 or 14 month timetable. I have consulted with Dr. Arocha about current state, he recommended another 2000 to 2500 grafts to frontal area for a stellar look.

Edited by rmlove

I am not sure if it was a bad deal or not but I do know If it were me I would probably have a couple of consults I think there are a few surgeons on here that have free online consults. See what the pro's have to say, with no money lost-I don't blame you for wanting to look around.

When you talked to Dr. Arocha did he say anything about the timeline factor?

Dr. Arocha stated that it wouldn't be a problem to proceed with his recommendations for another 2000 to 2500 grafts within the upcoming months. I have felt some new growth but I don't see much room for improvement to me it seems my right side is thinner than the left. I just would hate to wait 12 to 16 months then have another procedure....guess I'm just impatient, lol. Here are a couple more pics from his consultation. I really liked him no pressure answered all my concerns and gave me his honest opinion. So just trying to decide... hairloss is terrible, frustrating, time consuming, and expensive. Just should have just went with the shaved looked and got in shape, lol.

DSC_6488.jpg.7140618bd0da210c8f3d558b0a5c1893.jpg

DSC_6492.jpg.d607ae0ab076e3d70ae05851e5293a66.jpg

Although not what u want in terms of density,I'd say a big cosmetic improvement from your pre op photos!!! Why so many grafts needed now?? 1800 seemed to low but another 2500 means a total of 4300 which seems a lot for what needed doing?? Is that including any crown work?? But still I think from what u had done and the fact them grafts didn't all go into the hairline it looks much better mate!!! Good luck!!!

rmovie,u have to relax its is way too early for you .i am at 10 month and i still have new hairs popping.i cant believe it my self .10 month and hairs are still coming.they say that after 12month it then gets thicker..so sit tight you already got thought the worst part (ugly ducking stage) you r now in at the best part of your ht try to enjoy it,take care...p.s... for what its worth for me dr dorin was clearly my best choose of the 3 dr i used..good luck on your next one.

have you thought of maybe styling your hair different, maybe a cearser type cut, maybe some concelear in the crown and you can buy yourself some time, before you go for your next procedure. meds can buy you some time as well, good luck

Dr. Arocha stated that it wouldn't be a problem to proceed with his recommendations for another 2000 to 2500 grafts within the upcoming months. I have felt some new growth but I don't see much room for improvement to me it seems my right side is thinner than the left. I just would hate to wait 12 to 16 months then have another procedure....guess I'm just impatient, lol. Here are a couple more pics from his consultation. I really liked him no pressure answered all my concerns and gave me his honest opinion. So just trying to decide... hairloss is terrible, frustrating, time consuming, and expensive. Just should have just went with the shaved looked and got in shape, lol.

It doesn't look too bad. I wish my hairline was at least as good as that! Maybe try the concealers as suggested.

BTW you look a bit like Matt Damon! I just googled and you're a dead ringer in that 1st photo!!

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Thanks 1978matt...I have other people tell me about looking somewhat like Matt Damon, lol. I guess I'm being to hard on my self. Looking for that youthful hair line, hate waiting. Still weighing my options currently want to get this behind me. I fell I should have had more grafts first round just to give me the desired density. Time will tell! Thanks...

Thanks 1978matt...I have other people tell me about looking somewhat like Matt Damon, lol. I guess I'm being to hard on my self. Looking for that youthful hair line, hate waiting. Still weighing my options currently want to get this behind me. I fell I should have had more grafts first round just to give me the desired density. Time will tell! Thanks...

He's done some great films: The Bald Ultimatum, Good Wig Hunting, and my personal favourite, Graft Zone.

lol

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

failure? 2200 grafts is hardly enough grafts to cover ur head. but failure? sorry, I dont mean to laugh but that's hardly a failure by any stretch of anyone's imagination.

between 6 months and a year is the standard to see final results so im not sure about having another HT now. you may be closer to a year then 6 months to see final results. but in most cases by 9 months you've seen most of what ur gonna see imo.

I get that ur wanting to look good before summer and the thought of having another HT probably doesnt give u a warm and fuzzy feeling. imo you need another 2500-3000 grafts but could probably get by with less.

im certainly not gonna BS u and tell you its dense enough. it clearly isnt. but I dont think ur HT doctor lied to you or mislead you. actually, I think he did a pretty good job with the number of grafts he had to work with.

looks like u got plenty of donor hair bro so be happy with the fact that you WILL look great after one more session. many people would be quite excited to look as good as you do right now. not that that probably means chit to u right now but id say ur glass is half full not empty.

RM

Not failed....you couldve put 4000 grafts in your crown...BUT DONT,,,just saying you were pretty thin back there...

Give it time..your hair looks good...you can pack plenty of more grafts in those same areas.

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website