Can feel small pieces of stitches

I'm months after my HT and it seems like I can still feel small pieces of stitches in my donor area. I'm assuming that's what it is. I suppose maybe it could be scabs or something else hard, but I'm pretty sure it's remains of the stitches I had. Has anybody else experienced this?

I started getting this too, around the 2-3 month mark! I thought also that it must be pieces of the stitches, but it would go away after a few days. I wasn't sure if maybe it was new hair growing along the scar line, but it's practically stopped and I'm now around 4 and 1/2 months. Not much help, but just thought I'd let you know I'd been through something similar too.

Mixed,

Have you shared this with your doctor? Did they use absorbable or non-absorbable sutures to close?

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Future doc,

No I haven't. I was hoping they would eventually just go away. I suppose I should let them know. Being that my clinic is far away, I'll probably have to go to my family doc to get the the small pieces out.

No sure about the stitch type. What's the difference?

Absorbable sutures are made from material that will eventually dissolve and be absorbed by the body. These type of sutures do not need to be removed.

Non-absorbable sutures are made from permanent material that will not dissolve; these sutures need to be removed.

I've seen cases where permanent, non-absorable sutures were used, but the patient did not know they were permanent and did not get the stitches removed. Because of this, scar tissue began developing around the sutures and an uncomfortable bump or lump was noted by the patient.

While this could be the case, it's also likely that the individual removing the sutures simply "missed" one, and accidentally left a suture in the scalp. Either way, I would make an appointment to see a physician as soon as you can.

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.