I'm new at this...some advice please

I'm so thankful to have found this site. All the research I've been doing on the internet over the past few days was starting to make my head spin, but everything here is so well organized.

I'm glad I came across this site before scheduling a consult here in Western Pa, especially after seeing the info posted about places like nu/hart, Bosley, Dr. Brandy, etc. Looks like I'm gonna have to travel a little. I'm going to look into Dr. Lindsey and Dr. Haber, as well as some of the doctors mentioned in NYC and Canada. I can't travel too far.

Money is of great concern, and it looks like I have 10k right now to put into this venture. I don't mind if I'm left with a small bald crown area, which runs in my family on mother's side, but everyone else on both sides of my family retained full hairlines throughout their 60's. I'm 45. I don't even mind if I'm left with a slightly receeding hairline, or receeding temples, but would just like to have a strong hairline again, and no scalp showing through from my hairline to front of crown area.

I really need to have some idea what I'm getting into financially before I even take a trip for a consult.

My temples started receeding at age 28, but still had lots of hair on top. At age 35-40 I could still grow my hair longish and it didn't look like I was balding, but now my only options are a buzz cut or a transplant. My hair is thick from the back of my crown to my neck, so I think I have a lot of donor area.

I'm thinkin' that I'm about a stage V or VA and need somewhere between 2000-4000 grafts, but am really not sure. And so many other things to consider. FUT, FUE, single or multiple sittings, and some "patent pending" methods advertised that make me skeptical.

I hope it is proper to ask here if this seems viable for around 10k, as well as your opinion on what procedure works best while being at least somewhat cost effective. I'm gonna stick with the docs recommended on this site.

Any input would be so much appreciated. I hope to one day be one of the many here who have shared their experiences, progress, and final results on this site.

Thanks!

~Rich

1a.JPG.c773ce2a33a9ee37e1a8404c23e6bb43.JPG

2.JPG.406d1ad95d4b40154bd28e25a9b3f787.JPG

3.JPG.9d1da3f8fcfae8d6f94212b330dfb59e.JPG

Hi Zaxter,

Welcome. Finding this site is a huge boost in the research. As for the prices, those can vary quite a bit per clinic. Generally fue is more expensive than strip. I know this is easy to say and hard to do but don't let price dictate which method you choose. Some clinics post the prices on their individual sites. So you will probably be able to get some idea what to expect. You seem to have realistic goals. You may want to submit pics for online consults to get graft and price estimates. Good luck with your research and feel free to hit me up if I can answer any questions for you,

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

Thank you for your response. From what I've read, it looks like that FUT is the way to go for me as far as quality, coverage, and price. I requested online consults and submitted pics to several Coalition surgeons who are in my surrounding states. I'm starting to figure this out a little and am hoping that they can at least give me a ballpark figure with regards to number of grafts and cost. Thanks so much for welcoming me.

zaxter...this is a journey.

It's taken you awhile to lose all the hair and it will take only 2-3 years to get a respectable amount back.

You have realistic expectations which is a real plus.

I think you should consider the $10K as "Part 1".

Find a great surgeon get the surgery,

see where you are as far as satisfaction in a year to year and half.

I think after your first surgery you'll want to save up for a second one.

But maybe not....you may be happy after one, but I doubt it because

$10K is only going to get you like 2000-2200 grafts and in my opinion it looks

like you need at least 4500-5000...maybe more depending on your goals.

You're only 45...by the time you're 50 you could be done with two surgeries and be good to go for the rest of your life.

Are you currently taking meds?

Take time and watch this message board for an education.

Also review the doctors interviews to narrow down your doctor search as well as learn a lot from the videos.

Interviews with our recommended hair transplant physicians

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

I think you will need more than $10k - probably nearer $15k to get the number of grafts by a top doc in the US.

If you can travel then Dr Path in Thailand could get you more for the money.

I reckon aim for 3000+ to re-establish the hairline and mid section. Any more is a bonus.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Thank you Shampoo and 1978Matt for your input. Well, I already got one response back from a Coalition Surgeon and he suggested a 2500 unit FUT procedure to restore the hairline and add fullness to the front and top of my scalp. This is encouraging, but I'm thinking 2500 FUT would be one of two or even three procedures needed to meet my goals. In looking at the prices on his website, it looks like I would get more grafts for my buck from some other Coalition Surgeons.

1978Matt, I agree with you on the cost. My research of some of the Coalition Surgeons shows that some of them do a 4000 FUT procedure in one sitting for around 15-16k and also offer some travel reimbursement for a procedure of that size. The docs who show those prices on their scale are highly regarded on this board. I like the fact that cost goes down as the number of units transplanted increases and this entices me to stretch my budget.

Shampoo, I am not currently taking any meds or topical solutions. Maybe I should look into that in the meantime, and expect that I will have to follow a regimine after a transplant.

I'm doin' my research and looking forward to hearing from the other docs I submitted pics to online.

Thanks MPBsucks4545, I just checked out Hasson & Wong's site, and I see they do 4000 FUT grafts in one sitting for 16k. The travel reimbursement they offer also helps. Looks like there's nothing negative to be found about their procedure and results. Still looking to see who else has comparable offers. Also gonna see my dermatologist next month and see what meds they suggest, too. Thanks!

I have a friend from Arizona who went to Hasson and Wong. His transplants came out wonderful and he couldn't be happier.

I'd suggest that you consider using propecia. Based on your photo, I'm very confident that you would benefit from it, although it will take about 3-6 months before you notice much. It works far better for the crown area, than the temples.

Dr Rosenalli in San Francisco had offered me to do 2500 grafts in 8K and he is part of this network. I did not get it done from him as I was travelling to India and got it done their at fraction of cost.

But you can get in touch with him.