My experience so far-confused.

winchester83

Hello, I have been lurking these past few weeks trying to learn, and wish I had found this years ago.

I am a norwood 5. I do not take propecia or minoxodil, at least not yet. I have qualms about propecia.

In 2009 I had a consultation with Dr. Leonard of RI. Which meant I met with his sales guy Phil. Phil took pictures of my head with a polaroid and told me I was losing my hair. Thanks Captain Obvious! I asked him about price, he wouldnt tell me. I asked him about financing, he told me to go do the research myself.

At the time I thought he was the only one in New England who could help me. More hair loss, more self esteem loss, an angry email to Dr. Leonard after a newsletter promised my life back. He personally responded and told me to schedule another consultation with him, in mid December of this year. In the meantime I found this site and started researching. And I went into a Burger King that was playing a Bosley infomercial. You know, seeing your reflection in glass isnt torture enough, seeing your photo under harsh light, getting a haircut, it's all hell.

I went to my appointment and he met with me for under ten minutes. He told me that I had lost a considerable amount of hair since 2009, told me he'd put me on finasteride and minoxodil right away, ran his hand across my scalp and said I'd move some hair from back here to the front in one session for 7700. No mention of FUE, FUT, graft count, nothing. Not even a description of what he'd do. When it was over the receptionist wanted me to schedule an appointment and leave a downpayment and I told her I'd let them know.

Meantime, I made an appointment with Dr. DiStefano. When I met with him, we met for about 15 minutes, and he told me I really didn't need much transplantation. He also told me he wouldn't do FUE, because it would take much longer because I didn't need much. He wants to do the strip method, which I thought no one was doing anymore.

He wrote up a paper for me, that says I need a range of 1500 to 2000 grafts, he'd do it in one sitting, with a total cost of 6250 to 7250. Which is much better, but still more than I can sadly afford. I'm looking into loans.

He told me I wouldn't look 16 again, and that's fine, but I want my hair back. I want a full head of hair, and I dont know how much density I'd get. I am still afraid of the side effects of finasteride, and minoxodil seems like such a pain in the butt.

I am not a wealthy man, and my life will not allow me to jet off to Canada or California or Hawaii for the best of the best of the best in Hair Restoration. I recently discovered another Doctor in Massachusetts, Dr. Magdalin, but I don't know anything about him.

I think my experience with Dr. Distefano was a positive one, but I am still really uncertain. So I don't know what to do. I want my hair, but if the end result is that I spend all kinds of money to look slightly better instead of significantly better, then I'd rather not try to take out a loan. I just know that I hate looking in the mirror every morning.

First of all relax and understand that your situation is not an emergency (even though you may feel like it is at this particular moment.) You need to do your research and learn about what is out there and what your realistic options are. If you think that no one does strip surgery anymore you have a lot to learn about the industry.

Make it your responsibility as a patient to ask questions during a consultation if you don't understand something and find a doctor that you feel comfortable with from start to finish. If a Doc seems rushed during a consultation and you don't feel comfortable you should move on to someone else.

Set out to educate yourself properly, I would suggest you read through the posts here and look at clinic results. You can always do a virtual consultation with any clinic you wish to get an idea what you really need. You can also post pictures here and you will get mostly good advice from other patients and doctor's reps. The guys who post here regularly are experienced patients and doctor's reps. If you need to travel a little bit to find a doctor that you feel is top notch it is well worth the time.

If you are dead set against propecia I would at least start minoxidil to see if it can help. If you really think that spending 2 minutes twice a day is too much of a hassle to help out with a problem that seems to be really bothering you than I'm not sure what to tell you on that. =)

Good luck on your information gathering.

If your a NW 5, 2000 grafts will not be anywhere near enough. I was a NW 5 and I had 5229 grafts and am now going back for round 2 to fill in the crown. If you live in Mass, make the trip to NY at least which has some of the best docs in the world.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

He wants to do the strip method, which I thought no one was doing anymore.

FUT (strip method) is still the Gold Standard of hair transplantation.

Many if not most of the best surgeons in the world still primarily do FUT surgery.

Many offer both FUT and FUE, but there are still tons of surgeries being done using the strip method by top notch surgeons.

I would review the videos in the link below to help find a great surgeon, plus the videos are educational.

Interviews with our recommended hair transplant physicians

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Both distefano and Leonard advertise heavily in Boston area. Right away I'd be wary of any docs that advertise. I believe the best ads come from word of mouth, and the best word of mouth on ht docs is this board. NYC has a bunch of great docs. Consult with dr feller, dr Bernstein, true and dorin, dr Wesley....a 4 hour drive for a great ht far outweighs shoddy work for a shorter commute and a couple bucks saved

Winchester,

first of all, I am sorry to hear about your feelings of frustration and diminished self esteem, most of us can relate and have been there as well, maybe still going through it. You've received some pretty sound advice from some of the other posters and if I were you, I'd pay attention to the below from Icecreamman who happens to be living in your area.

Both distefano and Leonard advertise heavily in Boston area. Right away I'd be wary of any docs that advertise. I believe the best ads come from word of mouth, and the best word of mouth on ht docs is this board. NYC has a bunch of great docs. Consult with dr feller, dr Bernstein, true and dorin, dr Wesley....a 4 hour drive for a great ht far outweighs shoddy work for a shorter commute and a couple bucks saved

My two cents: do not under any circumstances trade convenience for surgeon skill and reputation. Most likely, one surgery will not be sufficient to give you the full head of hair you desire (I might be mistaken) but choose a skilled and well known surgeon and have that discussion with him (or her), they'll guide you and manage your expectations.

Btw, have you considered shaving down until the timing is better for you financially (if that is a major concern)?

I hope this helps.

I flew from the UK to New York for my surgery and I'm not wealthy either. The extra bit of travel is well worth it for a quality surgeon!

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

I still feel like my choices are limited

why is that?

There are numerous world class surgeons in the US and Canada, your choices aren't limited at all.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

I don't mean my choice of surgeons, I mean my actual physical limitations of surgeons. I can't afford to drive to NY, have my head worked on, then drive four hours back after minor surgery. I'm the only one in my apartment with a car, I dont have any friends(with this charming personality? Balderdash!) and that's about it. My choices are New England based, and if 2000 grafts aren't enough to make me not hate my reflection, then what's point in trying for a loan? I don't see any good points it making it look like I'm losing my hair but I look like I did five years ago. Either I get hair, or I look like I'm thinning? Those are my only options?

I can't afford to drive to NY, have my head worked on, then drive four hours back after minor surgery. I'm the only one in my apartment with a car.

My gut tells me you are probably not a good hair transplant candidate at this time. You appear to have high expectations but pretend your only options are to go around the corner to whoever is the closest/cheapest. That will most likely lead to a very disappointing result. There are huge differences in surgeons, their skills, their staff/technicians and the results they achieve for their patients. I would get a second job for a few months to cover some minor travel expense before I would settle on a 2nd or 3rd rate surgeon that happens to be a close drive from my house. You will have to live with the results the rest of your life, this isn't something to "price around" like an oil change and get done the cheapest way.

Either I get hair, or I look like I'm thinning? Those are my only options?

No...there are other options like a really good wig hair system or scalp tats.

There is no "magic pill" as of now, and all solutions have their downsides.

Edited by Shampoo

winchester....you could get a very nice result from a couple of surgeries from

a top surgeon like Dr. Feller in NY or Doctor Wesley in NY.

If I were you I would set up an online consult with Dr. Feller and

Dr. Wesley.....what do you have to lose?

I was also hesitant to travel when I first joined this site, but after reading

and learning about the outstanding results the top surgeons achieve I changed my mind.

So many people think nothing of flying to Florida for Disney World or a beach vacation and that's something that just lasts a few days, a hair transplant lasts a lifetime and is well worth a drive/flight, and hotel room for two nights. I flew from Texas to Vancouver, Canada. At least keep an open mind about travel as you continue to investigate.

. He wants to do the strip method, which I thought no one was doing anymore.

He wrote up a paper for me, that says I need a range of 1500 to 2000 grafts, he'd do it in one sitting, with a total cost of 6250 to 7250. Which is much better, but still more than I can sadly afford. I'm looking into loan

DO NOT GO TO THIS DR!!!!

I just saw your pics and re-read this. I'm not trying to be rude but with your advanced loss there is no way 1500 or 2000 grafts will do you a lot of justice. I think every guy on this board will agree with me that your at least in the 3000-4000 range. If need be take Amtrak down to NYC. The regional train is less than 100 each way and you won't have to take your hat off for security purposes. All you would need is to get a hotel/motel the night before and night of surgery and next day your back on train to Boston. All together that is probably $500. You could do it even cheaper if you take the Chinatown buses, each way the fare is 15. Trust and believe that going to NYC is by far a better option. Any great doc can look at your photos and deduce that 1500-2000 ain't gonna get you very far. This guy is a fraud

I'm not trying to be rude but with your advanced loss there is no way 1500 or 2000 grafts will do you a lot of justice. I think every guy on this board will agree with me that your at least in the 3000-4000 range.

I agree. I don't think he would be anywhere close to happy once 1500-2000 grafts grew in. It's a start, but simply not enough.

He has way more loss than I do, and I just got 4352 grafts ($18K).

People need to think of a hair transplant as if it was like purchasing a new car, but unlike a car the transplant lasts forever. If people manage their money prudently, and are highly motivated, most people could somehow, some way afford a new car with financing.....so why cant they afford a hair transplant?

In most cases it really boils down to motivation. Am I willing to sacrifice or work extra hours/ a second job to make this happen and afford a monthly payment for my transplant? It's certainly not for everybody and I would not recommend a hair transplant for someone more interested in finding some bargain basement super discount price than finding a highly respected elite surgeon. Get a free consult from a highly respected doctor. Then do it right or don't do it at all.

Well seeing as how my financial status keeps coming up, shampoo, and you're clearly better at running my life than i am, why dont I tell you my life story so you can tell me what im doing wrong?

Job pays 34k . take home is 23. No other jobs seem to want me. No overtime or chance of promotion at this job. You try living in Massachusetts for 23k. Get a hotel room? Pay for Amtrak? Sure! I'll just add that to the loan. Hell, why don't I just toddle off to my bank and ask for 25k? Then I can afford everything! And I'm sure I won't have a problem paying back 200 to 300 a month for the loan.

Do you see now what I mean now when I say I have no options? Do you understand what I say when only the rich prosper? Nah, probably not. I keep running into people in my life that were given the one thing I never get, opportunity. If you get the right opportunities in life, you can run with that. But if doors close every which way you turn, like they do for me, it doesn't matter if you're a nice guy, doesn't matter if you work hard, all that matters is what you produce for others. And since I can't do anything for anyone, I can just go to hell.

I'm ready to quit this stupid forum, because I feel like I clearly do not belong here. So far the most helpful person has been Icecreamman. I'd like to PM him to talk to him further, but these ridiculous controls aren't allowing me to do that, so I'll just say thank you Icecreamman for being honest and trying to help me.

You know what? Just go to the cheapest local surgeon then come back in a year and let us know how your results are.

Guys guys cool down... Anyway wct83, shampoo does have a point, probably he put it fwd too strongly

What he means is if U really want to see results, it's really safer To

Look for a more established surgeon, if not u might end up wasting grafts for no reason and u can't get back those grafts no matter how rich u r. However I understand u have financial constraints so it's very tough

Why not I suggest this? Learn as much abt the procedures from this forum n make sure u ask your desired surgeon to get a feel on how he or she is, then u make the judgement call on whether to proceed with it

Whatever your decision is, we are all brothers in arms fighting the same monster n we wish u all the best ;)

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

Well seeing as how my financial status keeps coming up, shampoo, and you're clearly better at running my life than i am, why dont I tell you my life story so you can tell me what im doing wrong?

Job pays 34k . take home is 23. No other jobs seem to want me. No overtime or chance of promotion at this job. You try living in Massachusetts for 23k. Get a hotel room? Pay for Amtrak? Sure! I'll just add that to the loan. Hell, why don't I just toddle off to my bank and ask for 25k? Then I can afford everything! And I'm sure I won't have a problem paying back 200 to 300 a month for the loan.

Do you see now what I mean now when I say I have no options? Do you understand what I say when only the rich prosper? Nah, probably not. I keep running into people in my life that were given the one thing I never get, opportunity. If you get the right opportunities in life, you can run with that. But if doors close every which way you turn, like they do for me, it doesn't matter if you're a nice guy, doesn't matter if you work hard, all that matters is what you produce for others. And since I can't do anything for anyone, I can just go to hell.

Dude whats with the "I can just go straight to hell" talk? You seem down on your luck and that attitude will just make things seem worse for you. Maybe you are not rich but at least you have a job, there are many, many people who would switch places with you if they could. No need to attack Shampoo for what I viewed as a good post about setting one's mind to a goal and achieving it.

Now may not be the right time for you to have a procedure done but that could always change in the future. What people are trying to tell you is to not go get some cheap procedure done with far too few grafts that will probably end up causing you more angst than you are experiencing now. Believe me a botched hair transplant or one that ends up looking obviously flawed or inadequate will make your life much worse.

Good luck and have Happy New year. :cool:

Hi Winchester

You've had some great advice here.

What people are saying is this: if you cannot afford a surgeon you can trust, whom you know to have a proven track record, then do nothing.

The reason is you can be left badly disfigured. Some of the posters on this board (and others) have shared their experiences with us, and frankly some of them have been to hell and back. You don't want to be them.

When you have a HT, there is no place to hide. It's not like you can cover it up, in advanced Western societies men generally don't wear headwear, particularly indoors. However, it is perfectly acceptable to simply buzz your hair - lots of guys do it, it's quite normal. If you have a bad HT you loose that choice.

So what you have to do is:

1. Chose surgeons you are willing to be cut by because you are totally confident in them - remember they will be wielding a scalpel. These days, we have a choices we can make, you should be able to find more than one you are confident in.

2. Find out the cost, based on what they recommend.

3. If you cannot afford it, suck it down and walk away.

Look for HT stories that involve repair, get a feel for the danger.

4800+ grafts, Dr Bisanga, Brussels, Oct 2012

My Photos

Better off waiting 5 years til you have the money and go with a great doctor than go with the cheapest local one now.

if you DO go cheap and local, I'll be VERY interested in seeing your results and how you feel about the advice you were given and how you reacted to us. Maybe you'd get lucky and find a great quality ethical doctor that's cheap and local......it's just quite unlikely. There's been far too many people burned by the industry to NOT learn from other people's mistakes.

We've all seen tough time, buddy. Kinda seems like you're riding the pity train pretty hard right now. If you simply can't afford to do anything about your hair loss then a comb-over or shaved head sounds right up your alley. I went into some debt and saved and planned for over two years. No use throwing the little money you do have into a bad surgery. You'll end up looking no better (or worse) and be out a bunch of money. Do it right or don't do it at all.