Hair System - What about the exisiting hair?

zenstr82

Hi,

I am new to the network and have been trying to get a particular question answered about hair systems.

I am considering getting a hair system (like the Bio-Matrix offered at HC), but the front of my scalp still has hair, albeit thinning with the scalp somewhat visible.

What happens with the existing hair when you get a hair system? Does it get trapped underneath? Does your head get shaved before the procedure? Or do they work around the existing hair?

If the hair gets trapped underneath, then how do you handle the hair's continued growth? Won't it cause the hair system to lift up? Wouldn't it also cause irritation on the scalp?

I've tried to get answers from the Internet, but I can't seem to get a clear answer.

Can anyone enlighten me about this?

I have tried, but the response I got was oddly phrased, as if they were trying to avoid saying certain things. Maybe it was my imagination, but I didn't get a direct answer.

Also, I was hoping to get an answer from a third party person who had done the procedure, rather than from a company, to get an objective answer.

Hi,

I am new to the network and have been trying to get a particular question answered about hair systems.

I am considering getting a hair system (like the Bio-Matrix offered at HC), but the front of my scalp still has hair, albeit thinning with the scalp somewhat visible.

What happens with the existing hair when you get a hair system? Does it get trapped underneath? Does your head get shaved before the procedure? Or do they work around the existing hair?

If the hair gets trapped underneath, then how do you handle the hair's continued growth? Won't it cause the hair system to lift up? Wouldn't it also cause irritation on the scalp?

I've tried to get answers from the Internet, but I can't seem to get a clear answer.

Can anyone enlighten me about this?

Although I no longer wear a hair system having made a successful transition with a hair transplant, alarm bells ring when I hear of anyone being tempted by the dubious and expensive offerings from companies like Hair Club for Men and Advanced Hair Studio. Whatever phrase they care to use - "strand by strand" and "bio-matrix" being the ones I recall - they're selling a hairpiece that can be bought far cheaper and probably at higher quality over the internet from companies like Coolpiece, Toplace, Hair Direct or Hairpiece Warehouse. You can also avoid being tied into any expensive contract if you source the piece yourself and then find a local hairdresser to cut it in. You may want to start with getting a stock piece (usually 8" x 10") that can be cut down in size. The easiest way of attaching the piece is to use double-sided tape and for the scalp to be shaved so that you get a secure attachment. The tape will need changing weekly (you'll learn how to do it) and the hair shaved down again once a month. Some guys manage to do the whole thing themselves (including cutting down the piece and trimming their own hair) but that takes a lot of experience. Any of the above companies would be happy to answer any questions and guide you through the process. Best of luck. :)

Hairpiece Warehouse Review:

I have purchased several stock pieces from Hairpiece Warehouse and recently

a custom piece. I've tried just about all of them on the internet. The quality ranges from average to good. I haven't had a very bad piece yet. Some shed more than others,

that's about it. I have found that the best price and generally higher quality comes from HW.

-K

zenstr82....

I tried Hair Club and they treated me well, the system looked great, but I could never get used to it....it was a matter of it just not being the real me. I was paranoid people might spot I was wearing a rug, and also wondered how it would look as I aged. If hair transplants were not an option for me I would definitely return to Hair Club before I shaved it all off and went with the bald look.

As far as your specific question....they shaved down my existing hair on top, but not super short because I informed them I was not sure I would stick with it...but I think once you have accepted that you like it and are going to stick with wearing a system I believe they shave down the top to get a better fit and look.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.