FUE Tuesday 12/18 Dr. Rahal

FUEsday

Hey guys. I guess my first post was put in the wrong spot. I am getting my first FUE of 2500-2550 grafts (hoping they can harvest enough to get the 50 free grafts!) next Tuesday with Dr. Rahal. Am heading out to Ottawa early Monday and checking into the Brookline guesthouse. I had some concern about my curly hair and FUE, but I realized after growing it out for the past 6 weeks, it is not nearly as curly as it used to be, and is now more of a subtle wave, so thinking it will be a non-issue.

I am looking to make a conservative improvement to the hairline to define it in an irregular saw tooth pattern, with a few dummy misplaced hairs in the front, for a natural look. I am also aiming for a softer forward angle in the front to give the appearance of a stronger hairline at medium length, and light extension of the temples to meet the new hairline (have been able to pick out a lot of hair transplants where the recipient hairs are pointed directly perpendicular to the scalp in a discernible line, or temples do not meet causing an isolated frontal tuft). Then I am hoping to fill in a good portion of the anterior crown, and the posterior less densely to get rid of some of the shine.

I'm confident that the Rahal team can achieve these results and I will be posting periodic updates here for you to take a look at! I am looking forward to the experience and improvement:D

Sounds awesome brother! I had 2770 FUE grafts with Dr. Rahal just over 2 weeks ago and I've had a really positive experience so far! You're in great hands - Dr. Rahal is a pro and the rest of the team is great too. The procedure itself wasn't as bad as I thought either and it will be over before you know it. Congrats man and I look forward to tracking your results!

Cheers

Hey guys. Just wanted to follow up with everyone about my procedure today. Dr. Rahal extracted about 30 grafts and 12 of them were transected. The procedure was then cancelled which was unexpected. I was disappointed and felt like I wasted a lot of time preparing for this day. But now I see that it may be for the best and and it is just a matter of timing before a better option comes my way.

I believe the procedure was unsuccessful somewhat due to the light wave in my hair and the use of a motorized punch for extraction instead of manual. If anyone has any questions about the experience please feel free to private message me and I will be glad to share my insight with you.

As for me, my search continues. I have seen a lot of positive results in patients with wavy hair and FUE from Dr. Armani's clinics and also Dr. Umars. After discussing all my options with some of the other patients at the brookline guesthouse these names came up along with Dr. Reyes, Dr. Feriduni and Dr. Bisanga. Dr. Armani claims to be able to harvest up to 6000 FUE grafts in one session and his results look very impressive.

If anyone else has any suggested highly skilled surgeons in FUE please let me know. At this time i'm not emotionally ready to consider FUT/FUSS:mad::mad: and I am among those that feel it is the old wave of hair transplantation.

FUEsday,

Really sorry to hear that news buddy, I know you were looking forward to your procedure. With that said, it sounds like you have a pretty positive outlook on the whole thing (I can understand being slightly frustrated since you had your hopes up), and have some other options to look toward in the future. If it is any consolation, you went to one of the very best surgeons in the industry.....and at least you know that Dr. Rahal is ethical and chose to call off the procedure rather than to give you shoddy results! I know it probably doesn't sound too "optimistic" coming from my mouth now.....but you'll look back and realize that it truly was a blessing in disguise (which it sounds like your head is in a good place). Anyhow, I apologize the day wasn't more successful. I hope you utilized your time to at least meet some cool guys at Brookline, and to check out Ottawa a bit.....it's a beautiful city. As you make future plans to get a restoration with one of the other physicians you mentioned above.....please keep those of us here in the forums posted on your journey!

Wishing you a very Merry Christmas.....and a successful procedure for 2013!!!

Best,

Mike

4737 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 11/16/2012

Daily regimen: 1/4 Proscar (1.25 mg Finasteride), Rogaine Foam (twice daily), 1000 mcg Biotin, 1 combo Vitamin D/Calcium/Magnesium, 1500 mg Glocosamine, 750 mg MSM, 1200 mg Fish Oil, 2000 mg Vitamin C, Super B-Complex, 400 I.U Vitamin E.

I am not a medical professional. All views and opinions expressed in this forum are of my own.

Sorry to hear that. Did you get a solid explanation of exactly why these were transected? Where did you travel from? That blows man! Good luck moving forward with this! Tread carefully with Dr Armani. There used to be SO much negative press online about that guy. Just do a couple of searches. Umar is ridiculously expensive! But the Belgium clinics mentioned definitely seem up there with the very best. But to ensure that this doesn't happen again, I guess its real important to understand exactly what the problem was, and to get a potential future Drs feedback!

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Sorry to hear that. Did you get a solid explanation of exactly why these were transected? Where did you travel from? That blows man! Good luck moving forward with this! Tread carefully with Dr Armani. There used to be SO much negative press online about that guy. Just do a couple of searches. Umar is ridiculously expensive! But the Belgium clinics mentioned definitely seem up there with the very best. But to ensure that this doesn't happen again, I guess its real important to understand exactly what the problem was, and to get a potential future Drs feedback!

DONT go to Armani!!! Thats my opinion....what happened with Dr Rahal?

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

He started out extracting the grafts and he said about 40% of them were getting transected. I am glad he was ethical enough to stop the procedure, but disappointed I wasn't more aware of the possibility further in advance. I booked this procedure date about 6 months in advance and drove in from Boston. I have been told that FUE procedure is definitely achievable with low transection rate in wavy haired patients but it relies heavily on the skill of the surgeon and the tools used. There are many successful examples online with African American patients and my hair is not nearly that curly, which is why I was surprised by the result. In my case the motorized punch tool was being used with 0.8 and 0.9 mm attachments, both unsuccessfully, which was most logically the contributing factor. With that tool you have to be a very specific candidate with straight, thin hair grafts. Mine are wavy (I'd say 5/10) and thick.

firstly, sorry to hear about your failed FUE. but as other mentioned, you need to give dr rahal alot of credit for being ethical about it and being fully transparent. he could have continued, you would have got bad results and killed alot of precious donor hair. rahal used motorized punch which surely contributed to the transection. you might have no choice but to go with an fue doc that uses manual punch. unfortunately all the best fue docs that use manual punch are in belgium. i have also read bad reviews about armani and how can he do 6000 fue grafts in one session, when the top fue docs max out at 2500 in one session., be careful.

Yea. I have been in contact with dr Armani and doctor umar so far. Dr Armani seems pretty confident that he can achieve a high yield. He told me he is thinking 3500-4000 FUE grafts being conservative with the hairline and filling in a good portion of the crown. Can someone explain to me why he has such a bad rep on these forums his results seem like high quality work. Still waiting on dr. Feller. Am also considering rahal for a FUT as I still value him as a top skill surgeon and ethical. Would not go to anyone else for a strip at this time. Thoughts ??

FUEsday,

I hate to break it to you, but a manual punch is unlikely to resolve your FUE transection issue caused by wavy/curly hair. Be it a motorized punch or a manual punch, it is still a straight cylindrical cutting tool. Unless an extremely large punch is used (again, motorized or manual doesn't matter -- both are straight), the curvature of the hair beneath the surface means it is likely that the terminating follicle, which is non-aligned with visible surface hair where it exits the scalp, will be transected when a straight, cylindrical cutting tool placed around the surface hair is plunged downward. That is my understanding, at any rate. It may well be that you are simply a better candidate for FUT.

• 1 month later...