Bandana or hat after FUE

Great forum, I must say!

I know this question has been asked many times but perhaps I'll add in a twist.

I had an FUE surgery 7 days ago and I'm due to be at work on day 10. My work environment allows me to wear hat (even bandana). However, my working hours are 8 hours long. The question is if it is OK to wear bandana (or hat for that matter) for that long everyday only 10 days post surgery?

At 10 days post op you are fine to wear anything you want. So if you prefer a hat wear it, or if you prefer a bandana go ahead. Your grafts are safe at that point, but you should still be careful not to hit your head.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

At 10 days post op you are fine to wear anything you want. So if you prefer a hat wear it, or if you prefer a bandana go ahead. Your grafts are safe at that point, but you should still be careful not to hit your head.

Yes I understand I needed to be careful and reading other posts related to this issue I understood its OK to wear hat after the scabs are gone. However, some posters mention that one need to let the scalp get some air and not wear hat etc. for long time. So, it's the extended period (8 hours) of wearing hat/bandana that worries me.

Is my worry and concern realistic or am I just paranoid?

Edited by muchoht

Yes I understand I needed to be careful and reading other posts related to this issue I understood its OK to wear hat after the scabs are gone. However, some posters mention that one need to let the scalp get some air and not wear hat etc. for long time. So, it's the extended period (8 hours) of wearing hat/bandana that worries me.

Is my worry and concern realistic or am I just paranoid?

If you are inside for those prolonged periods, and it's accepatble to wear a bandana, then I would recommend the bandana. The bandana will allow for more air to get through vesus a ball cap. Some ball caps however have a mesh which allows for plenty of air flow to the scalp. That's the best choice IMHO.

Just be careful whether you choose a vented hat or bandana that either does not rub against the newly implanted grafts in the recipient area. So the vented cap should have an adjustable band and you will want to make sure the cap is not too tight. This is especially important for strip patients so there is not tension being put on the strip scar that is healing. This not an issue for FUE patients since there are no sutures or strip scar to contend with.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

You'll be fine with bandana.

Keep head out of direct sunlight for 3 months.

Thanks for the answers guys. I'll keep the bandana as loose as possible.

When do you think is it OK to start wearing cap normally? I mean after how many days/weeks post-HT?

• 3 years later...