ARTAS & SAFE System Donor Extractions & Healing

Janna

We have recently acquired the Artas FUE system. We are aware of the concerns regarding the punch size with the Artas. Due to our own concerns, we are doing a compare study to see the difference in healing and scarring between the.9mm punch SAFE Harris system vs the Artas 1mm punch. There's even a small section of 1.0mm SAFE Harris punch in the study. The picture of the extraction site is labeled accordingly.

This patient had approximately 900 fue extractions with the Artas and approx 600 with the SAFE system. He's returned to our clinic at exactly 1 week post op. He stated the Artas extraction sites were a little more painful during the healing process. He'll be coming for monthly follow-ups. When he's back next month, we'll shave the donor to various lengths and take pictures so that we can see at what buzz length can you expect to wear your hair without the white dots showing through.

P.S. We will be getting a .9mm Artas punch in January, 2013. .9mm punch is the size Dr. Bernstein is using at his clinic so we're excited to switch.

Slide3-13.jpg

I'm posting this picture twice - one with the label and one without to get a clear picture of the extraction sites without the distraction:

donornewlabel.jpg

Slide1-23.jpg

Comparison shot of Immediate post op & 1 Week post op:

Slide5-12.jpg

Edited by Janna

Thank you for that, Janna. That is a fascinating and informative visual comparison of ARTAS-made and SAFE-made extraction sites immediate post-op and 1 week post op. To me, the ARTAS extraction sites look slightly cleaner and more consistent than those made with the SAFE, which, I suppose, stands to reason given the ARTAS's touted computerized mapping/site selection and robotically replicated excisions. In the immediate post-op, extreme close-up photos, I do detect the slight difference in size as between the .9mm SAFE punch extraction sites and those of the 1.0mm ARTAS punch, but speaking personally, I'd be thrilled if my donor looked that good with extremely short hair only one week post-op. Still, knowing that your ARTAS will soon be outfitted with a .9mm punch is excellent news. Anyway, we (if I may speak for others) really appreciate SMG's transparency regarding this new technology.

Please do keep us posted on this patient's progress and of your future ARTAS patient's experiences and results. In terms of transaction rates and yield, the proof will be in the pudding, but it definitely will be exciting to see what sorts of FUE results docs of the Shapiro brothers' caliber can achieve with this new extraction technology in their arsenal.

Thanks Janna. Altogether, I'm glad the 0.9mm ARTAS punches are on the way!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I love seeing FUE results and how great the patient looks almost immediately post-op!! Haha, and at the same time, it makes me second-guess my decision to have gone the FUT route....as I realize I'll never be able to shave my head that short if I wanted to. But back to the un-selfish me....it really makes me feel good to see what a great result the gentleman above is going to have soon!! =)

Very exciting for this patient, and for SMG for getting the new machine/punch! I can't wait to see more of these cases when the new (smaller) punch comes in!!

4737 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 11/16/2012

Daily regimen: 1/4 Proscar (1.25 mg Finasteride), Rogaine Foam (twice daily), 1000 mcg Biotin, 1 combo Vitamin D/Calcium/Magnesium, 1500 mg Glocosamine, 750 mg MSM, 1200 mg Fish Oil, 2000 mg Vitamin C, Super B-Complex, 400 I.U Vitamin E.

I am not a medical professional. All views and opinions expressed in this forum are of my own.

Thanks everyone, I'm glad you find our study interesting....

I think one of the reasons why SMG has stayed on top over the last 20 years is due to Dr. Shapiro's insistence on trying new techniques and instrumentations if it exhibited any signs of improving his technique, regardless of costs.

The company that makes the Artas is called Restoration Robotics. RR has made vast strides and improvements from Its inception of the Artas to what it is today. The improvement in the last year alone is remarkable, regardless of costs. Its their continued quest to perfect their computerised robotic technique now and in the future is a testament to their commitment. This need for perfecting their technique is a quality I find similar to Dr. Shapiro's.

As for transparency, we'll do our best to present as much as we can.