Hair Coloring/Dye Risks

aaron1234

Hi all. I've been considering getting my hair professionally colored for a little while. I even got a small test patch done to see if I'd have an allergic reaction to the chemicals. It looks like I'm in the clear although I'm still hesitant to get this done for a few reasons. I do have a sensitive scalp. Even though the test patch didn't cause any skin reactions I'm still slightly concerned what a full dye job could do. Furthermore, could the chemicals in hair dye (namely hydrogen peroxide) put me at risk for some shock loss/shedding? Specifically for miniaturized hairs? Maybe I'd try out the less permanent dye first just to see how I react to it.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

aaron1234,

I've colored my hair off and on for years, both pre and post hair transplant. My personal feeling is that, while any chemicals can pose a risk if misused, applying hair color as directed is perfectly safe and should not impact your hair growth/hair loss.

I've read posts by others with differing opinions but it's been my experience.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Cool. Thanks for sharing David!

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I've used Just For Men on a weekly basis for about 4 years now. Weekly because gym work tends to make it fade out fast.

The benefit I see if that you can match concealers to the hair colour for a more natural look.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Some hair colours have no amonia or peroxide so are not damaging to the hair. They will wash out of the hair after a couple of weeks, depending on how often the hair is washed.

Wella colour wash and Clairol Beautiful Browns are both good, no chemical hair colours. They are a good place to start to see if you like the look.

Permanent hair colors do make the hair look thicker because they swell the hair shaft because they penetrate the hair follicle. Unfortunately this has a drying effect on the hair but its not usually a problem when the hair is kept short.