I want to start keeping fit, how does this relate to my hairloss?

MyNameIsRich

I've read a lot of stuff online that suggests body building and any muscle training can most definitely increase hair loss through an increased production of hormones, including the conversion rate/speed/amount of DHT in the body.

I've also read several times that a cardio fitness workout (anything that burns fat, such as running, swimming, bike, etc) regime can not only help keep you in the most optimum shape, but also actually help decrease the hormone conversion, and therefore the rate of which your hair will thin.

For many reasons I want to start working out, and keeping in shape. I find the gym and weight lifting boring as hell though, and when I read several years ago that it can cause more harm than help regarding my hair, I basically disregarded the thought of me ever doing weights again. However, running is definitely something I wanted to get into, especially if a healthier lifestyle will give me REAL results in slowing, or helping stop my hairloss altogether (along with everything else i'm doing)

Any input, guys? Any facts you can share?

Thanks!

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This topic is has been guessed at by many for years. I am not so certain that heavy weight training increases hair loss. I tend to think that it is a complete myth. I have never seen any solid research one way or the other.

^ This. ^

Get/stay on finasteride, and pump all the iron you want. I've been doing it for eight years now, and it doesn't seem to have accelerated my hair loss at all.

• 1 month later...