20 years old/student/NW 3/Help (!!)

jfox223

Hi guys! With mounting panic, I'm estimating my hair loss to be at NW3 standard? I've always had a chunky forehead (:P) so what hair loss has occurred seems rather noticeable. Thankfully I haven't lost much density, except for maybe a tiny little bit in the middle, but I've always had a sort of indentation there, and presumably it's just moved up a little further in accordance with more general hair line recession. To be honest, I think it's worsened somewhat since the summer, and the stress/depression it's causing has left me suicidal on more than one occasion across the last few weeks...really can't bear to think of losing my hair, vain though it incontrovertibly sounds! At 20, I wish it was just a mature hairline, and I've crinkled my brow to show where the juvenile hair line (?) would be...

Maybe you guys could help me out (pwetty pwease) and offer some input with regards to your own Norwood estimations? I went to the doctor at the beginning of my academic term (October), but she refused to prescribe medication on the grounds that a) she didn't see anything wrong; and b) androgenic alopecia isn't a medical problem, so she won't prescribe medication baselessly. I've tried ketoconazole shampoo, but it reallllly hasn't done anything for me. I've also got a lot of what I thinkkkk are miniaturising hairs along the hairline...shit. Sorry if I seem very maudlin; 'tis not my intention...would just love someone to say you're not losing your hair/it's not that bad/it's not very visible.

Both corners of my hair line are rather asymmetrical, with the right assuming a more rounded shape compared to the left, yet I attribute this to my always having had a sort of cow's lick or more rounded shape to this part of my hair line. You'll have to take my word for this...I won't upload ghastly pre-teen pictures:P

I have, however, attached some horrendous pics for your entertainment...:P Thanks so much guys for any help you can give.

IMG0003.jpg.fad007f54ae3c01cf41fa8facdb16bf8.jpg

IMG0002.jpg.5fbb04d4016f79d59b3c0009da6d9904.jpg

IMG0004.jpg.5c3b44191424e0063608a09be1b1f0fa.jpg

IMG0005.jpg.19a8ddba9639844136509bf24f4d072f.jpg

IMG0006.jpg.9ca4c8a3cfcec1d0d9ce113a1f7f3efd.jpg

IMG0007.jpg.19455c7b84dce8e270f6937424bfa2b5.jpg

IMG0008.jpg.6c09e86529b139a1862c45f4f0ae73c3.jpg

IMG0009.jpg.cb7eb93addeb2347134459fcb1ca3853.jpg

IMG0010.jpg.9067f0b1594d430db2dfa33c93591076.jpg

IMG0011.jpg.8cd907caf9ceb05401abe0ba3015c91b.jpg

IMG0012.jpg.9b5e3ced7e0311da1acc28856697b33e.jpg

IMG0014.jpg.274a8c3b1a2cf1d87d23d3de532ad481.jpg

IMG0017.jpg.2a3ff16a9f6e4427291c4d96d6e73dc9.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well, not much more I can add here. Your hair is perfectly fine. Keep your eye on it but don't obsess over it. Go chase some girls and live your life to the fullest. Nothing to worry about at this time.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Hey all - thanks so much for the input, but I think those pics didn't do justice to what's really going on at my hair line. I've attached a pic of the left side of my hair line in profile view. I think there's a lot of outward thinning going on. I've also ordered finpecia from InHouse Pharmacy because I want to abate whatever's going on as soon as possible so as to retain my hair.

IMG0001.jpg.5f4ec974bc1167fc678495d7571fbfdf.jpg

No amount of photos are gonna make you look bald pal!

Great head of hair, though I do agree it looks VERY SLIGHTLY receded on the sides. Try propecia and minoxidil, that should stabilise and maybe regrow a bit.

You don't need a HT though.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

If you're that concerned you should book an appointment with Mick from Farjo. They hold regular consults in Manchester and Harley Street/London.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

There is a certain amount of maturing that can go on at your age where there is some minor recession at the temples and doesn't mean you're going bald. I'm not sure you even have that going on at this point. I would have to agree with your doctor that you don't even need meds. Just enjoy your hair!

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

I forgot that in my post! You're right, go to a doctor and get checked that it is actually male pattern baldness and not just a maturing hairline before thinking about any meds.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

I've already ordered two months' worth of finpecia from InHouse Pharmacy, but still feel a little reserved about using it...I just feel that all the thinning that's going on has moved beyond simple hair line maturation. Don't get me wrong, I've looked at childhood pics of myself, and I've always had that upward curve at the right temple, and an extraordinarily large forehead:P Regardless, medication as a preventative measure surely can't be all that deleterious?! Also, thank you all immensely for your support; you've all been so encouraging when all I can think about is how terrible my hair looks:P :)

Go to the nearest recommended hair restoration doctor and get checked out. If it is actually balding then you should definitely use the finasteride and minoxidil...catch it early!

I just say this because my hair started receding early, and if I'd have been on the forum I'm sure I'd have been told it was probably a maturing hairline. It wasn't! If only I'd known about propecia and the 5% minoxidil from the start...

I think knowing one way for sure is the best way to go about it, rather than waiting to see if it gets worse or not. Therefore getting checked out by an ethical hair restoration doctor is the way to go!

Just get a consultation with a HT doc and get a miniaturization test done. The photos are too blurry and distant to tell. What you need is a doctor with magnification to see what is really happening. There is no way for us to tell.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Hi,

I went through a very similar situation to you.

I also have very thick hair and naturally had a high hairline with a slight curve at the hairline.

This very gradually got worse until i was 22/23 and I started to realise I was actually losing some hair on the temples. I told parents/GP and they all had the same reaction as others on this thread as my hair looked like yours. So I decided to wait another year before going on any meds in case it really just was a mature hairline, hoping it would not get worse, but it did indeed get worse!

I've now been on fin, minox and nizoral (the "big three") for around 9 months to try and stop the hairloss but to be honest it doesn't seem to be working for me! Perhaps I need to give it a few months more....

Anyway my point is that whilst your hair does look fine now as others are saying, you know your hair patterns better than anyone else, so I would keep a close eye on it as it may well get worse as mine has. At the same time, this may not be the case for you. The risk you take with going on medication now is never knowing for sure if it would have got worse without any (assuming the meds work for you) in which case you could be taking them for your whole life when you never needed any!

You are fine for now, just monitor it going forward and IF it get worse, speak with your doctor. Thinning and loss doesnt always follow set patterns as far as timelines. Sometimes people recede and then it stops while I have seen others go from a fairly good head of hair to considerable thinning in a short time. Genetics are a b!tch

Good luck

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!