Dr. Bhatti,

Would you mind describing the theory/practice of your "Anagen Selective FUE" procedure a bit more?

While I think I understand the method, it would be great to hear you explain it clearly!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Hi, "Future_HT_Doc",

To make it very brief, the most apt definition of Anagen Selective FUE Technique is- " The preferential harvest of the most robust FUs lying in the Anagen Phase"

How do they grow better hair? -

1. Anagen follicles are in Full Bloom

2. Anagen follicles resist Shock Loss

3. Anagen follicles are less fragile to handling

4. Anagen follicles give a denser look

How are anagen hair selected?-

1. Visual selection- the sirgeon uses 6x magnification

2. Mechanical selection- the hair is shaved 36 hours prior to the procedure. Only the anagen follicles will grow out in 36 hours.

In contrast while using the strip technique, you are committed to take all follicles that lie in the ellipse which is cut out. Whether they are in anagen, telogen or catagen phase, you have to pay for all.

In my FUE technique, the client pays for only Anagen FUE grafts.

Hi "Davis 91",

I do anagen selection only for scalp hair.

I do not do it for body hair due to lesser number of grafts available.

The above client received around 4000 FUE grafts and we did anagen selection for the frontal hairline only and the crown regions which are most visible. 3000 grafts were anagen selected.

Dr. Bhatti,

Thank you for the explanation. It's a very interesting theory, and I look forward to reviewing more of these Anagen Selective FUE results.

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Dr. A in India pushed this approach for body hair several years ago so it is obviously not new. if this approach means less shock, dealing with stronger grafts (not fragile in your words) etc. then why on Earth would you only go for the most "robust" hairs in the hairline in the crown and leave the other 25% of the grafts to chance? What is the logic to this approach?

So this patient only paid for 3000 grafts, not 4000 grafts?

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I agree that the word "miracle" has been inappropriately used given that the majority of forum members are from the West. In India the term may be loosely used and does not signify much. It is a cultural thing. I request the moderator to kindly modify the header of the present thread to just- "Dr Bhatti- Anagen selective FUE". I would be grateful since I shun controversy.

Dr. Bhatti,

I was wondering if the term was misinterpreted secondary to a language barrier. Glad this was cleared up!

Hi, "Future_HT_Doc",

How are anagen hair selected?-

1. Visual selection- the sirgeon uses 6x magnification

2. Mechanical selection- the hair is shaved 36 hours prior to the procedure. Only the anagen follicles will grow out in 36 hours.

In contrast while using the strip technique, you are committed to take all follicles that lie in the ellipse which is cut out. Whether they are in anagen, telogen or catagen phase, you have to pay for all.

Jotronic made some interesting comments, about which I am curious as well.

My other question is, do you actually shave your patient's hair 36 hours prior to each procedure? I have been following several cases on here and I don't think any one of your patient has made this comment. It doesn't sound a very common process for most clinics and haven't read from any of your cases here either!

Hi “ jobber1900 “

Thank you for the comment and for your curiosity regarding my Anagen selective FUE harvesting technique.

"Jotronic" wants to know whether I charge the patient only for the anagen hair?

Let me clarify the point here- in large cases where 4000 grafts are being harvested from the scalp in a single session, we will never get so many anagen hair. From an average donor site I get about 3000 grafts which lie in the anagen phase. Yes, when the requirement is less than 2500 grafts, all my patients pay only for anagen hair. The average FUT session (unlike FUE) is of 2500 grafts!

In response to the second query raised by “ Jobber1900 “- I almost never shave the head in preparation for anagen selective harvest. I prefer visual selection using 6x magnification (as mentioned in my post under reference) since most of my patients are from out of town and if I tell them to shave and come, I would not be able to do a proper consultation and maintain a photographic record. I have been shaving the head in local patients coming in 3 days prior to the procedure occasionally. I feel the latter approach is easier for the doctor since only the robust anagen hair grow out and the procedure becomes faster and easier to accomplish. Given a patient walking in for consultation upto 48 hours before the procedure, I would like to shave the head in preparation for an anagen selective FUE harvest.

"Jobber1900" I hope my answers are clear. In case not, I would be happy to clarify further.

Dr. Bhatti,

When I shaved my hair with a clipper, I see that some hairs are thicker and darker the others are finer and lighter in color.Are thicker ones anagen hairs?

And suppose that you harvested anagen hairs, will ramaining hairs in donor area be as thick as harvested hairs in the future?

And lastly Do you use motorized punch to harvest grafts?

Thanks.

Hi "Capa",

Yes the thicker hairs which grow out faster than the rest after trimming/ shaving are anagen hair. Hair transplant is an aesthetic procedure and we do not thin out the donor area to the extent that it shows.

If upto 1 in 4 follicular are harvested from the donor area, no-one can make out the difference after a few weeks.

Yes, I use the safe Scribe- motorised system.

Thank you for your interest in my technique.

Dr B

• 3 weeks later...

Dr Bhatti you mention safe Scribe system (James Harris Machine), can you please tell us more about this machine, why are you using this, are the results better than Kowloon chinese punch which you use aswell.

I have been talking to a local FUE surgeon, and he told me that he doesnt like using the JH machine (he has one in his clinic), he prefers the old method making the punch manually as he can feel making the punch.

Edited by jayukdht

Dr Bhatti

I want to get my hair transplant done at your clinic. Can you tell me whats the procedure to contact you as i am currently in Dubai.

Hi, I've sent u a PM with Dr. Bhatti's contact details.....

Wish you a happy new year.

There are so many motors available in the market- JH is just one of them. I am comfortable using this system since I trained on it 4 years back. The JH punch is a blunt punch and causes a low transection rates and hence a higher yield of grafts per session.

The Kowloon punch is a semi-sharp punch and I use this too.

Manual FUE is very slow and it is not that it gives better grafts. Doctors use it (esp. dermatologists) since they are used to this technique.

For those interested in learning more about Dr. Jim Harris' Motorized SAFE scribe, visit the Q&A blog article "Revolutionary New Hair Transplant Tool (Dr. Harris Motorized SAFE scribe) Makes FUE Surgery Faster and Easier". Keep in mind that this article was written in 2009 and at the time, the motorized version of the SAFE scribe was new. That said, many leading surgeons today do prefer the SAFE scribe and obtain excellent results.

Best wishes,

Bill