Steven Gabel, MD - Oregon/Washington - 2210 grafts frontal hairline restoration

This 36-year-old patient desired to have his hair restored in the frontal region of the scalp and the frontotemporal angles. A total of 2210 grafts were placed into the frontal hairline, scalp, and frontotemporal angles.

Preoperative and postoperative photographs are presented at only 6 months growth. Close up photographs of the donor area show no evidence of the donor area scar despite the very short haircut. A video is also presented to show the results with a comb being run through his hair.

frontal.jpg

front45down.jpg

frontfulldown.jpg

left45.jpg

left.jpg

right45.jpg

right.jpg

top.jpg

hairline.jpg

scar.jpg

Steven Gabel, MD, FACS, FISHRS

Diplomate, American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery

Diplomate, American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

Diplomate, American College of Surgeons

Gabel Hair Restoration Center

Portland, Oregon

503-693-1118

Email Dr. Gabel directly at drgabel@gabelcenter.com

Dr. Gabel's Website

Dr. Steven Gabel is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Excellent result. Doesn't get any better. Took those grafts a long way!

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Great result! Thank you for sharing.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

SadbutTrue

Thanks for your comments. To answer your question about survival, I cannot give you an exact answer as that may be virtually impossible based on the number of grafts transplanted; however, the graft survival is very high based on my examination that there are not any areas of poor growth or density at this point. If my examination would show areas of poor/no growth, one may conclude that a patient had graft failure; but as you can see objectively in the photographs and the video documentation combing through his hair, the growth so far is going very well in all areas. Also, keep in mind, that he is only 6 months out from his procedure, so if there are any sparse areas, he is still in the early stages of hair growth and a re-examination in 6 months will give a much better representation if he did have areas that did not grow. So far with this patient, we are on track for an excellent result.

Overall, your question is spot on: it is so important to constantly evaluate patient results by objectively analyzing the progress of patient's growth. I take detailed notes on every procedure and when I see excellent growth like this patient, I review what I did and make sure I continue that technique. For analysis, I standardize my photographs as much as possible by using the same camera and lighting (I do not use flash) and taking each photograph so each view of the patient is as close to the previous photo taken by that same patient with a standardized background. In my room I have dedicated to photographs and video, I actually have markers in exact locations and angles where the patient looks so that the photographs are standardized and one can make an accurate evaluation of growth. When I can, I also take close up photographs with a 60 mm macro lens to see the fine detail of the frontal hairline, which is also demonstrated in this patient.

In terms of scars, I also try to take photographs of the donor scar, whether it is from a strip procedure or FUE procedure, and evaluate the results. On average, my scars are very small as seen in this patient. Again, I pay close attention to detail with my surgical technique to minimize the scars on patients. There are so many factors that play into the development of scars, many intrinsic to the patient (how well do they heal) and extrinsic (surgical technique). Again, attention to detail is king.

Steven Gabel, MD, FACS, FISHRS

Diplomate, American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery

Diplomate, American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

Diplomate, American College of Surgeons

Gabel Hair Restoration Center

Portland, Oregon

503-693-1118

Email Dr. Gabel directly at drgabel@gabelcenter.com

Dr. Gabel's Website

Dr. Steven Gabel is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Great work.

I like how you present your work Dr, and it is always of a very high standard.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

That's a "wow" result, especially for 6 months. Great documentation.

As others have said, Dr. Gabel, Wow!

This fellow's hair and scar (what scar?) already look amazing, yet he's only 6 month post-op. I don't know how you managed to recreate a hairline and temple angles and densify the hair behind them using only 2200 grafts, but it looks great and should only look better six months from now. Beautiful work.

Really nice job Dr. Gabel! WOW! I love the length and style.....I hope I can get away with styling my hair similarly when my transplant grows and matures in a year!! It's how I used to wear my hair, and how I hope to in the future! Thanks for sharing....I can't wait to follow this case and see what the future holds for this gentleman!! =)

4737 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 11/16/2012

Daily regimen: 1/4 Proscar (1.25 mg Finasteride), Rogaine Foam (twice daily), 1000 mcg Biotin, 1 combo Vitamin D/Calcium/Magnesium, 1500 mg Glocosamine, 750 mg MSM, 1200 mg Fish Oil, 2000 mg Vitamin C, Super B-Complex, 400 I.U Vitamin E.

I am not a medical professional. All views and opinions expressed in this forum are of my own.

Sorry, me again! I was just curious if this was FUT (and I'm assuming it was by the singular use of "scar" in most of the posts in this thread)? I can't seem to see anywhere that is says definitively, however. If this was a strip procedure, KUDOS.... it is amazing work. I can't seem to detect even the slightest hint of a scar at 6 months out, and he wears his hair pretty short....that's some clean work!!

Also, what kind of hair characteristics did this patient have? Did he have really coarse, thick hair? 2210 grafts gave him great coverage....so I'm guessing he had better than average hair characteristics???

Thanks again for posting......

4737 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 11/16/2012

Daily regimen: 1/4 Proscar (1.25 mg Finasteride), Rogaine Foam (twice daily), 1000 mcg Biotin, 1 combo Vitamin D/Calcium/Magnesium, 1500 mg Glocosamine, 750 mg MSM, 1200 mg Fish Oil, 2000 mg Vitamin C, Super B-Complex, 400 I.U Vitamin E.

I am not a medical professional. All views and opinions expressed in this forum are of my own.