All advice will be appreciated.

Hello all!

I am a 26 year old balding male and I am considering a FUT hair transplant with Dr Craig Ress in Cape Town, South Africa after a recommendation from a friend. My situation differs quite largely from his though.

I am guessing I am a Norwood Level 5 and I have been using Finpecia for about a year and concealing with a generic of Toppik (Mo Fibres) for about a year. I feel the Finpecia has only slowed the hair loss and not stopped it. The concealer is great, but I feel it is becoming a lot more noticeable of late. I have also tried shaving my head, but do not feel confident with the look.

I have since decided to look properly into the hair transplant and with having the month of March 2013 off when I arrive back in South Africa - I figured it was a perfect time for the treatment. I am currently booked for the procedure for the 28th of February, but am not 100% sure of the move.

My concerns are these:

1. How many grafts will I need to get decent coverage?

2. How long would the scar be?

3. Is it the best time for me to go ahead with this treatment, or should I wait a few more years?

4. Has anybody had any experience with Dr Ress? (Hair Loss | Restoration | Transplants | Surgery - MHR)

5. What sort of results should I expect?

6. Do I have sufficient donor hair?

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

CA1_3516.jpg.5cfa8a1bd194c8d908c074a04657d678.jpg

CA1_3515.jpg.16d8d68f202488e40f0f5d5f3b23ee8e.jpg

Hey there,

my advice, is wait. Mate, you're only 26 and by the looks of your pic you might very well progress to a NW 7. No single HT procedure will give you a full head of hair at the stage you're currently at and frankly any doctor that would go ahead and attempt such a thing at your age is irresponsible as you will require future sessions guaranteed.

For you own sake, shave your head and get used to the look for now, and don't attempt HT before you're 30. I am no doctor, just a fellow hair loss sufferer that has undergone 3 HTs (I am 38). I really feel for you, but you must be patient and think long term, at this stage aggressive HT is not for you.

as i was habituated of plucking my hair sincee 4 years ,,,,, asd nw its luking very ugly to me soo please tell me the treatment or any information or suggestions reagarding the getimg of my hair backk i made my mair on my head some partt totaly plucked ... so i neeed yourr help please

I would still wait. The problem is you have a finite amount of donor hair and you don't want to be "chasing" your hair loss as it gets worse.

For example, you put in 2000 grafts and fill in the top of your head and your hair loss continues. Then the "sides" of your hair drops down (NW6-7 pattern). That is, the top of your head's hair separates from the sides. You will have an "island" of hair at age 38 that would not look natural. Now you have to fill that in, plus fill in whatever else you've lost in the meantime.

I would visit a reputable ht surgeon and get a consult. But in my inexpert opinion, I would wait until age 35 or so such that your balding pattern is stable and somewhat predictable. You have a limited amount of donor, so use it wisely. Keep enough in the "bank" so you can fix up problems that may occur later in life, like in your 40's or 50's.

Yes, wait. Stay on Finasteride. And research. When (or if) you decide to get a HT make sure you are well equipped with knowledge.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

welcome to the forums, good luck in your research, keep reading and ask questions, you look like a solid nw5 now, stay on meds , and go for a couple of consults and see what the doc says and take it from there, 3000 grafts in front , to frame your face, and hit the crown later with less, are you open to using concelar, it would help with the denisty, and your on your way, you will never get your hair like when your a youngster , but you can have a decent head of hair,only a handfull of docs put up good results time after time,so the key so having a good result is going toone of these docs. good luck