2 days post op 1,500 FUE- Dr. Feller of Great Neck, NY

This patient travelled from abroad for FUE. He regularly shaves his scalp and would like to give the appearance of a complete hairline instead of an isolated forelock.

We performed 1,500 FUE grafts in 4.5 hours using .9mm Feller Punch on Motorized Feller FUE handle. Entire procedure from start to finish took 6.5 hours (including lunch). He was a very easy FUE case.

BEFORE

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

JUST AT THE END OF PROCEDURE

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

AFTER 2 DAYS

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Great looking pics and great looking work as usual. Those island forelock guys are an interesting bunch. I hope that tuft of hair in the front stays strong to preserve his upcoming hairline!

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Looks good, and should look great grown out! This is the type of case I often think about, particularly for a younger guy -- this patient looks to me have thinning over his top and crown, but once this grows in and he keeps his head buzzed he will have the appearance of a robust hairline and head of hair simply buzzed down (a' la the look Collin Farrel and countless other celebs rock).

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

4.5 hours...is that some kind of record? Damn! Well done.

anyhow it looks very good (as good as it can at this stage anyhow). A couple of quick questions for Doctor Feller.

what was the patients goalregarding his hairstyle post HT? Is he looking to keep the buzzed look? How wide of an area was covered and what density was achieved? What kind of hair & donar did he have?

Thanks!

Thank you all very much for the comments. I'm very proud of this particular case and anticipate excellent results.

Coligion,

Yes, the donor area for FUE is much wider than that for strip surgery. The more you spread out FUE the better as the holes tend to coalese into a sheet of scar tissue making future FUE procedures that much more difficult even if this excess scar is complete invisible.

Hthelp,

I don't know if it's a record, but it's pretty good time.

This patient's goal was to keep his hair buzzed and to recreate the hairline. I don't know the exact dimensions of his case but the photos give a very good idea and his density is probably 40 plus per sq cm. His donor was excellent.

Thanks for the participation all.

Dr. F

Originally posted by Dr. Alan Feller:

Coligion,

Yes, the donor area for FUE is much wider than that for strip surgery. The more you spread out FUE the better as the holes tend to coalese into a sheet of scar tissue making future FUE procedures that much more difficult even if this excess scar is complete invisible.

Dr. F

Dr. Feller, thanks for the reply. Since FUE is much more widespread than FUT, is there ever a fear of going beyond the "safe-zone" for donor supply?

At that length of hair(I'm guessing less than a #1), how many grafts do you think you can take out before noticeable gaps(scars) are left behind, preventing the patient from sporting that look? I realize this is probably dependent on the tool, donor density, donor characteristics etc., but on average what would you say?

I asked because I have a small scar I'd like to get filled in and have consulted with you (Dr. Feller) and estimated about 100 grafts would suffice. That is the length hair I'd like to be able to sport, although I'd prob wear it a little longer.

Thanks

Coligion,

You asked if there is ever a fear of going beyond the "safe-zone". In my clinic, no. I mark out the extremes of the donor area so can never accidently over-run it.

Unfortunately there are several clinics the routinely over-run the safe borders-especially going down on the neck and toward the back of the ears. These areas are the "hairline" of the back and tend to be much thinner AND more fragile than grafts well within the safty zone and ABOVE it toward the crown.

I rarely if ever extract from the neck, lower donor area or extreme lateral donor area.

However, one may "cheat" a bit by invading a lower crown area IF and ONLY IF there is no sign of thinning and no family history.

While one would NEVER take a strip from the lower crown, harvesting via FUE is completely kosher and a testement to the power of this unique technique.

Sparky and Trigger,

Thank you, but I just did this case about a week or two ago. The photos you are seeing are during the surgery day and 2 days afterward just before he caught his flight back home. He promised to send photos at 6 months and beyond and of course I will post them here when he does.

Bos,

Even before the surgery he had alot of noticable gaps that were visible because he shaved his head with a bic. At a number one buzz, however, I doubt you'd notice anthing until we took away almost 50% of his donor area.

With respect to your scar, if you want to wear your hair at a number one buzz I would recommend the 100 grafts, then let it grow it out, and then possibly another 50-100 to increase the density so you can shave the hair low.

The lower you shave the hair, the higher the density has to be in the scar. But remember, even with this, the topographical change of the scar will still be there. The hair only serves to break it up.

• 4 months later...

Obviously there's no way to know for sure the patient will not go NW5+ and Comparing the other FUE pictures&comments about going beyond the "universal safe zone" for donor supply this is pretty higher than most of them published on this site.

I have been researching for a good FUE pyhisician and i was considering Dr.Keser in Turkey as i saw many good example of his work. Then I saw some comments that he is being considered taking extractions from outside of the safe zone and his name is not in the recommended surgeon list. So I rotated to some of other surgeons recommended by this community. Regarding the diagram below I am quite confused about the safe zone and wondering if it is variable from person to another.

Regards

Bill_diagram.jpg.80ca2ee0007426d2d792167d6639605e.jpg

Ted.j,

While it's true that an individual's safe zone may vary, the universal safe zone defines an area of the scalp that is DHT resistant for a large percentage of men with genetic hair loss. Of course, there are always exceptions, but taking hair outside of the universal safezone on a regular basis puts patients under additionaly and unnecessary risk. A physician may decide to extract follicles outside the universal safe zone for a select small group of patients who based on their age, hair loss pattern, and family history, are highly unlikely to lose hair in these areas. It's only a real concern when taking hair outside of this universal zone becomes the norm.

Best wishes,

Bill

Hi everyone,

I'm a little confused. After reading this post, it appears that one can have a ht and then buzz their hair with a natural look.(besides the scar) But, just the other day johnboy titled a post " at what density can one sport a buzz cut". The responses basically say it's near impossible. So can someone clarify this for me. I'm asking because while my ht is not bad at all, thank you dr. Feller. It is still not what I expected, and I'm seriously considering tattooing the scar, and supporting a buzz cut.