FUE after STRIPS

conan

Hello everyone .

I am not new in the HT filed and already had 4 strips surgeries from 2000 til 2005 .....

I was wondering if FUE is possible after undergoing the strips surgeries ?

If not , where does the limitations comes from ? I supposed the hair "on the side" of the head can still be taken out for let's say a 1500 grafts surgery ?

thanks

K

Your head of hair should get evaluated to see just how much donor you have via FUE. Donor supply is different for each person so you'd need a personal consultation specific to your scalp.

• 3 weeks later...

You need to make sure that if you do opt to have a FUE procedure that the extractions are not done from right above your previous donor scars. That hair will be needed to help camoflauge scars. Below the scars is always a possiblity because often the hair restoration physician stays away from the lower donor area in fear of wider scar formation.

• 2 weeks later...

Check my thread here:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/168384-3100-grafts-repair-job-dr-umar.html

FUE method is essentially a cherry-picking option that afforded many of us new possibilities.

With respect to Dr Charles' opinion about donor selection, I think you'll agree that my donor area is among the worst-case scenarios. I have had several strips preceded by a couple of disastrous plug sessions from the 80s.

The photos on my thread to a fair job of showing the donor selections at the two week mark. With respect to avoiding FUE above prior scarring, I can tell you that many grafts (I'm guessing 1500+) were taken above my scars and I have no concerns about coverage. In fact, I would say the harvesting from the band between the scars and recipient area will actually help blend the hair density in this transitional part of the scalp.

I also had side and beard hair harvested. If you are in a situation that your donor area truly is not an adequate source, BHT is the only surgical solution today. The merits of that approach are discussed at length in other areas. It was an easy option for me because I had no other.

Of course there are a lot of factors. Existing density, hair color, severity and size of the scars. I will update my photos at 1 month mark so you can see for yourself how my particular case is progressing.

I echo Janna's feedback for evaluation strategies. A next-best approach is very good (well lit, high resolution)photos for online consults. The obvious advantage is the ability to obtain many opinions.