My Scar looks scarry

I had my second surgery recently, it has been around 45 days. My scar have completely healed but it looks horrible. It is close to 1/2 inch wide (1 cm), above my ears and on left side looks A LOT worst than the right side. Right from the beginning I felt that the scar did not look right. I told the Dr when I went to remove my sutures, he told me that hair will grow around and even inside the suture area. Is he BSing? after my first surgery I could cut my hair to #4 and my scar would not show at all. What should I do ?

It may just be shock loss around the scar that you are mistaking for scar tissue. Give it time, your doc may be right.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

It may just be shock loss around the scar that you are mistaking for scar tissue. Give it time, your doc may be right.

IF it is shock loss, up to how long after surgery it is considered normal to have shock loss?

albundy,

Do you have any pics by chance? I have heard of shockloss around the sutures before and can happen up to 4-6 weeks or so post-op.

Did you have any shockloss in the donor area in your first procedure?

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

albundy,

Do you have any pics by chance? I have heard of shockloss around the sutures before and can happen up to 4-6 weeks or so post-op.

Did you have any shockloss in the donor area in your first procedure?

I didn't have any shockloss in the donor area after my first surgery. As mentioned I could shaved down to #4 and my scar would not show at all. Here are some pictures I took today, 50 days past second surgery. :(

5b32d531e0622_iphonepicture255.jpg.a35c1a600388375d1756a812f38a3020.jpg

5b32d5320fc5f_iphonepicture257.jpg.ea8fb079ab72c2a87b7cf977fe1b79df.jpg

5b32d53225585_iphonepicture258.jpg.2ed3931e925e1b533ee598531108197e.jpg

5b32d5323bce2_iphonepicture259.jpg.c79babfceac85b0ce426c358b715ce66.jpg

5b32d5324c604_iphonepicture261.jpg.ad8dcc81c23cf174a74627672bc6e407.jpg

5b32d53262d03_iphonepicture262.jpg.3d4eea16f0e518aa5e1f72ae8ba62492.jpg

Sorry to say but that does look like scar stretching. Did you send these pics to your doc? Who was your doc?

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

I'm a patient, not a Dr. All views are my own, based on my personal experiences.

Just completed my second surgery 10.10.2012 and I found that I could not cut the hair as short as I did with the first procedure. Like albundy, one side was stretched more than the other. The explanation is that where there was more "slack" in the scalp, there was less stretching involved. In my case, the left side is tight, the right side is stretched. I think we need to wait nearly a year before we know the truth.

The more I see stretched FUT scars the more I think why this procedure still exists. I hate to sound cynical or pessimistic, but there is always a risk of the scar stretching, no doctor can guarantee it will come out 1mm thin. I really hope that it is just shockloss but I cannot tell.

Who was your surgeon Albundy?

That is a very poor scar.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Who was your surgeon Albundy?

That is a very poor scar.

I want to give it one more month before giving out any names. Some of the post I have read from the past in this forum, showed that shockloss (if it is which I doubt it) could last as long as 3 1/2 month. I don't want to ruin anybodies reputation, before I know for the fact that he has messed up. When you have had two surgeries done within 1 1/2 year, then you can easily compare your procedure and results with each other. I can tell you this that right after my last surgery, in the first two weeks I had a good feeling that my results are not gonna be as good as my first procedure, both in doner and recipient area.

Albany,

Thanks for putting up your pics. IMHO you have two things going on. First, definitely appears to be shockloss around the scar, and the scar does also appear to have stretched.

Please clarify, you had two strip procedures in 18 months? That's 9 months apart? If so, you may have been too tight or lacked the laxity in such a short period between procedures.

I do see some hair growing out of the scar so your doc must have done a tryco closure on you? I have seen quite a varying amount of results with tryco closures, some very good and some horrible. Some of them came out like yours either because the doctor was not very skilled at doing this type of closure and even some where the patient was too tight and did not have the accomodating laxity. Some docs may have elected a different method of closure such as staples to minimize the scar from widening.

Whatever you do, grow your hair longer for now and let the length help cover the area. Hopefully most of the shocked hair around the scar will grow back. It should but will take seveal more months to get there.

My wish for you is that it will continue to improve so keep us posted my friend.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY