4000+ FUE grafts possible?feasible?sensible? Please suggest!

shane13

Dear members,

I am 30 yrs old and want your help to let me decide between a FUT or a FUE proceudre.

Initially I was sure of FUE but then research indicated that FUT would be better for my case (large session) and now again leaning back towards FUE especially after hearing of large impressive FUE sessions like johnny24 (http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/167897-hair-transplant-dr-tejinder-bhatti-darling-buds-chandigarh-india.html). :confused: One of the leading FUE surgeons has confirmed to me as well that he can do a 4000+ FUE single session (over 2 days) for complete coverage. :)

I cannot afford to take any meds with side-effects (fin etc.) at this stage. Also, I am thinking more from a long-term perspective of keeping some donor grafts for any future requirement incase of further progressive balding.

Please do suggest as I want to book my HT soon and get it done within this year in India.

Eagerly awaiting your responses.

My pics are here: Hair Restoration Social Network - Hair Loss Patient Blogs

Cheers!

Edited by shane13
typo

Hi Shane, not going too much into FUE vs FUT, I would say that there is one thing for sure with larger FUE sessions - fair bit of swelling for few days post surgery. I havent gone through a procedure but have seen a few threads. I am not much an expert so wouldn't say too much else. All the best.

Hi Shane, not going too much into FUE vs FUT, I would say that there is one thing for sure with larger FUE sessions - fair bit of swelling for few days post surgery. I havent gone through a procedure but have seen a few threads. I am not much an expert so wouldn't say too much else. All the best.

Hey jobber1900,

If I get a good yield and coverage at the end of the HT, I really don't mind a swollen head for a few days :)

Thanks for your suggestion.

Cheers

Are you still contemplating between FUT and FUE, or set on FUE and simply looking for surgeon recommendations?

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Are you still contemplating between FUT and FUE, or set on FUE and simply looking for surgeon recommendations?

Hi Blake, I am sure about the surgeons, but confused between FUT and FUE. :confused:

If there is only a marginal difference in a FUE yield (over FUT) for a 4000+ session, I'd prefer FUE.

Do share your inputs keeping in mind the thoughts that I captured in my introductory post.

Thanks

HI shane13,

In my research I've found that people say that doing 2 FUE sessions of 2000 maximum, with 8 months between them is smart. This allows the scalp to heal so you don't lose too many grafts to scalp trauma.

People do seem to feel that FUT yield is better than FUE (but you'll have the scar).

In your posts you seem pretty interested in coverage.

I would choose a great FUT surgeon for best possible results if you dont mind the scar, or go 2 sessions 8 months apart with a great FUE surgeon.

Cheers,

Magnum

Hi Shane,

Frankly, I would recommend FUT over FUE for a case of this magnitude. While the technical yields are very similar (both upwards of 95%), I'm not sure these conditions hold true when entering cases of this size. What's more, it takes a skilled and highly practiced FUE physician to perform a 4,000 graft transplantation, and this variable may cost additional time, money, surgical days, and could still result in a lower yield in the end.

Again, there are always pros and cons to both procedure. With FUT, especially a large FUT session, you're going to have the linear scar. Excellent physicians can make these very manageable, but there is no way of getting around it (with FUT). If this is something that you cannot accept, then you'll really need to start doing some careful FUE research (which we all can help with).

However, just analyzing your case from the very basic level - 4,000 total grafts needed (your estimate), high NW patient, covering a diffuse area, unable to take preventive medications, I personally believe FUT will provide a more complete result.

Did the surgeon who agreed to the 4,000 graft FUE procedure (which, as I'm sure you're aware, is very, very large) have any examples of cases of this magnitude (4,000 + grafts on a high NW patient)?

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Did the surgeon who agreed to the 4,000 graft FUE procedure (which, as I'm sure you're aware, is very, very large) have any examples of cases of this magnitude (4,000 + grafts on a high NW patient)?
Good/smart question.

I would totally vote for FUT for a case this large.

I am still do not understand why people want FUE for a huge number of grafts.

Correct me if I am wrong, but with either surgery, for a case this big, you will have to have some hair to cover scarring either from FUE or FUT (i.e. shaving your head clean is out of the question). So given this, I would rather have 1 thin scar to deal with than LOTS of little scars scattered about the back of my head.

Go for FUE. You are at the upper limits at 4k grafts for a single day session, but a highly skilled and experienced FUE surgeon will have no problem with this.

The other chap who was at the hospital having FUE when i was had just over 4,000 grafts and got great coverage. I have seen pics since and he is growing well, with no side effects.

Swelling is minimal and with the correct facial massage techniques is barely noticeable after the procedure.

Rob

2800 FUE, Istanbul

Haven't read any replies to this may have been said already but:

FUT is fine. The scar becomes tiny, it doesn't hurt at all. As someone who had it done, I would do it again. Not trying to sell it to ya, but just letting you know that it really isn't the big deal that people think. I flew from UK to US on my own for the procedure and the whole thing was pretty exciting!

Regarding fin, I've had no side effects and I read that it's really "only" 2% of people that do. It's worth trying as it could help save whatever you have left and help you regrow some potentially. Fin and minox have worked great for me.

FUE v FUT isn't something I'm qualified to speak about, pros and cons to both, but from what I've read it seems FUT is probably better for bigger cases.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Haven't read any replies to this may have been said already but:

FUT is fine. The scar becomes tiny, it doesn't hurt at all. As someone who had it done, I would do it again. Not trying to sell it to ya, but just letting you know that it really isn't the big deal that people think. I flew from UK to US on my own for the procedure and the whole thing was pretty exciting!

Regarding fin, I've had no side effects and I read that it's really "only" 2% of people that do. It's worth trying as it could help save whatever you have left and help you regrow some potentially. Fin and minox have worked great for me.

FUE v FUT isn't something I'm qualified to speak about, pros and cons to both, but from what I've read it seems FUT is probably better for bigger cases.

No Doctor can guarantee a pencil thin scar. Alot of it is upto your body(physiology) and how it heals. You do not want a stretched scar....

Hi Blake, the surgeon that I am considering for FUE is Dr. Bhatti. There are various cases of successful 3500 to 4000 single session FUE grafts on his website that I can't share due to the terms of service of the forum.

However, there is one successful case of johnny24(http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/167897-hair-transplant-dr-tejinder-bhatti-darling-buds-chandigarh-india.html) on the forum who has successfully undergone a 4000 FUE grafts session with him. The growth in the 3rd month itself looks quite impressive. Besides him, HTIndia & Crusade have also undergone successful FUE HTs with him although for lesser number of grafts.

Do suggest.

Hi Blake & MAGNUMpi, what's your take on my previous post reg large FUE sessions?

Awaiting your valuable inputs.

Cheers

Hi shane13,

The results are not in on Johnny24 yet. He's only at about 3+1/2 months growth.

Hard to tell yet how it will turn out, but I hope it goes well. Will he need more grafts to fill density? Will he have the donor left?

I probably need about 3000 grafts myself and I am hoping for FUE....but Im still not 100% sure. Still reading up..

It was agonizing for me to decide FUT or FUE. I mean I have a beautiful body. Why screw it up, eh?

I went with FUT for the dollar savings. Large difference in expenditure.

Studying for my second transplant (I am out about four months) I discovered another point of interest.

I have fine thin hair. This is the result of a disproportionatly high percentage of single hairs. Confirmed by the hair surgeon.

When she transplanted from the donor strip as FU's this caused a lower density appearance (bearing in mind that there was a lot of scalp to cover) in the recipient area.

If she was at top of her game the donor strip could have been dissected into double (triple) FU's. Providing a greater illusion of density.

In the old days of plugs these "micrografts" are now considered pass?.

However there is a well respected hair surgeon in Canada who achieved great results with "micro grafts". Before Follicular units came into vogue, he would dissect single hairs for the hair line and "micro grafts" for behind the hair line.

I inspected his work I.e. looked at transplanted areas. I could not discern anything unnatural.

Might a surgeon doing FUT be more inclined to "maximize" the number of grafts "installed" rather than "bunching up" for greater effect? I do not know the answer.

Hi Blake, the surgeon that I am considering for FUE is Dr. Bhatti. There are various cases of successful 3500 to 4000 single session FUE grafts on his website that I can't share due to the terms of service of the forum.

However, there is one successful case of johnny24(http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/167897-hair-transplant-dr-tejinder-bhatti-darling-buds-chandigarh-india.html) on the forum who has successfully undergone a 4000 FUE grafts session with him. The growth in the 3rd month itself looks quite impressive. Besides him, HTIndia & Crusade have also undergone successful FUE HTs with him although for lesser number of grafts.

Do suggest.

Hi Shane,

Dr. Bhatti's FUE work appears very impressive and we are actually considering him for recommendation on the community. What's more, Johnny's post-operative work looks impressive as well, but it is far too early to assess his actual results. If you're looking for an "apples to apples" comparison, I would recommend researching some 12 month (and onward) large FUE cases on the forums.

At this point, I feel like you've been provided quite a good amount of information on the pros and cons of FUT versus FUE in this situation. Again, based strictly on the facts, I would still side with FUT, but I think you should take everything into consideration, continue researching, and consider some consultations. Additionally, make sure that if you are considering a 4,000 graft FUE case with any clinic, I would ask to see 12 month + results of similar cases.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello All,

After numerous hours of research, phone calls and doc visits, I have finally decided to go ahead with a FUE procedure with Dr. Bhatti in the last week of December.

I drove to Chandigarh from Delhi for a personal visit to Dr. Bhatti. The bad news is that I only have around 3000 grafts in my scalp :( and thus the doc advised me to use them wisely for current and future use.

So the current plan as advised by Dr. Bhatti is to target the front at the moment with some 1500 grafts from the scalp and around 500 grafts from the beard for good density. The remaining approx. 1500 grafts can be used 8-12 months later for the crown or in the future incase of further hairloss.

The doc rightly asked me to wisely use the donor area as "a bank balance with a zero rate of interest" :).

I would like to thank everyone who pitched in with their suggestions and will keep everyone posted after the HT in Dec.

Currently, feeling anxious and excited to be taking this leap of faith.

Cheers!

Dear members,

My pics are here: Hair Restoration Social Network - Hair Loss Patient Blogs

Cheers!

Hello mate,

I just had a look at your pics and I'm not convinced you're a candidate at all. Those last 2 pictures of your donor area appear to be thinning out.

Recommend you see a doc in person before paying any deposits. Good luck.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Hello mate,

I just had a look at your pics and I'm not convinced you're a candidate at all. Those last 2 pictures of your donor area appear to be thinning out.

Recommend you see a doc in person before paying any deposits. Good luck.

Hi Matt,

I personally met the doc and the plan of action is exactly inline with what he has recommended.

Cheers!

Which doctor?

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Donor looks ok to me. You could get 3,000 grafts FUE I would think. Not sure about 4,000 unless you want to eliminate shaving down to a grade 2 or less. But a good Doctor will know more than me.

Which doctor?

Dr. Bhatti