Diffuse thinner: What's the best course of action?

Hey there guys (ladies?).

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger and go under the knife for my first hair transplant before the end of the year.

However, I've been thinking about the shortterm and longterm benefits of getting a HT for someone in my situation.

I'm a diffuse thinner, and I'm wondering what really is the best course of action for me. I've been on Propecia regularly for more than 10 years, as well as minoxidil (on again, off again) for about the same time.

Is a hair transplant even recommended for someone with diffuse thinning?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

i didn't exactly understand what diffuse thinning was until i just googled it, and came across a few pages with people in the same boat with others making suggestions. a little research goes a long way!

otherwise, it just depends on your case i guess. if you don't think you're losing anymore hair, and can afford the surgery, it wouldn't hurt to go get a consultation from a doctor or even a clinic representative. they could give you a good answer and maybe even put you through a scalp miniaturization test (i think thats what its called).

i thought i knew a good chunk of info, but then i went in for a consultation with a rep and he shed some light on things i didn't know and things i was misinformed about. plus it was free, but i think if you go to the actual doctor you have to pay for his time, not sure.

For diffuse thinning, a HT is an option. What you would require is what is known as 'Dense Packing'. This is basically transplanting hairs in between the remaining native hairs, thus thickening up.

This can have great results and having newly transplanted hairs that are not subject to the effects of DHT in the top of the scalp, it means you will have good coverage for the long term future.

With diffuse thinning and dense packing, it is often recommended that you take meds to slow down/stop the remaining native hairs from falling out.

Hope this helps

Rob

2800 FUE, Istanbul

Even with the best docs , there is an chance of "shockloss" and your native diffused hairs on top may not grow back .

I am sorry to be a bad cop on this , i am a diffuse thinner myself however. But like everyone said , it does not mean that you can t have a ht. Bonkerstonker was a diffuse thinner and he got 6k grafts from dr. Hasson. It is not impossible , but it has always have that risk.

I think diffuse thinners can be tricky because it is harder to predict the future because there is less defined area of baldness. With defined bald spots it's easy to know where to transplant, but with diffuse thinners it's more the need for hair "all-over". I am sure a consult with a top doctor would be educational.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Really the best way to end the speculation is to send your case to some recommended surgeons and see what they say. They will help you much more than we can! I think all the doctors do online consultations so if you send clear photos and the info about you and your situation, they can make a good assessment.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

I was a diffuse thinner and I basically chased my hairloss with HTs. At this point I am nearly 100% Ht'ed on top. I also did not continue taking meds after my first HT. Make sure you have a solid game plan in place with your doctor, and if you are not on meds be prepared to have more than one surgery.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com