Another Bad Experience with... The Hospital Group

RocketMan

I know, many of you experienced members on here, will know all the horror stories about the Hospital Group in the UK. So, I don't want you saying I told you so. I wouldn't say this is a horror story, but I certainly wouldn't call it a success, distincly mediocre at best.

Right, I received a Hair Transplant from the Hospital Group in February 2010, after a consultation in late 2009. I was taken in by sales pitch, by the slick salesman Tarquin. I was very vulnerable at that time, as I felt my hairloss had began to accelerate again. By this stage I was a Norwood 2, just on the front. High forehead, fairly deep recession v shape.

Anyway, after I had put down deposit I began to find a lot of material that was bad about Hospital Group, that I had not seen before. Needless to say, I was worried about this. I was very skeptical, but paid the rest of the money, and unconvincingly went along with it. Tarquin ensured me it would work out, and there was a lot of 'media propeganda' at that time against the Hospital Group. Bullshit!!!

At the operation in Broomsgrove, near Birmingham, and about half-way through, the operation I could tell the density was no where near enough. Dr. Westwood tried to tell me, when hair is wet it looks less dense (I know what wet hair looks like). But I was drugged up, feeling ill and just had the back of my head cut open so wasn't going to argue.

Dr. Westwood made the incisions for the grafts, but some female assistant placed the grafts in, which I have since found out that grafts placed in the wrong angle give a wirey effect to hair. It took, several months for hair to grow to my normal length, and at first was naively satisfied, although very aware of the low density, but was just happy to get hair in that area for the first time in many years.

Now 2 1/2 years on, I have a sizeable scar on the back of my head, and the the transplanted hair on front is thin and fairly wirey, compared to the rest of my hair which is pretty thick and flat. Now I have to cover the front area with Nanogen, which looks pretty unnatural.

It was an expensive process for several years, but it helped get me through some important stages in my life, such as University, which I'm not sure I would have even had the self-confidence to achieve, with not having any hair there.

I have some questions if I could get honest answers I would appreciate it.

• Am I right in saying the 'top' hair transplant surgeons do the whole process themselves? and not just pass it on to some assistant to do after making the graft incisions?
  • Is it possible to take out grafts if I chose to in future, or would that be almost impossible?
  • Who are the best hair transplant surgeons for repair such as frontal and strip repair? I was looking at Dr. Feriduni in Belgium, which I've heard great things about.
  • Would it be worthwhile waiting for cloning or a form of multiplication to come out as preferably I don't want to have much more hair taken from the back of my head?

Thanks

I right in saying the 'top' hair transplant surgeons do the whole process themselves? and not just pass it on to some assistant to do after making the graft incisions?

All surgeons do the harvesting and incisions and employ a team of technicians also to assist and to place the grafts. There are some surgeons who place the grafts themselves, I believe Dr Konior does this and he is excellent surgeon.

Is it possible to take out grafts if I chose to in future, or would that be almost impossible?

I don't know that but I am sure someone else can answer that question. Have you got any pictures of your hair currently?

Who are the best hair transplant surgeons for repair such as frontal and strip repair? I was looking at Dr. Feriduni in Belgium, which I've heard great things about.

I wouldn't say there is a best surgeon but a lot of of them are recommended on here and some demonstate a larger proportion of the work online then others that is of a very high, consistent standard. Dr Feriduni is excellent and I know he is talked about very highly. I also know Dr Feller has repaired a lot of hospital group patients from the Uk, as he told me this when I was sat in the chair having my surgery.

Would it be worthwhile waiting for cloning or a form of multiplication to come out as preferably I don't want to have much more hair taken from the back of my head?

That is a controversial topic and maybe best you do some background reading through searching online as I can't be bothered to have an arguement as I am busy :)

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Is it possible to take out grafts if I chose to in future, or would that be almost impossible?

You could FUE them out but may end up with dot scars at the front of your head. Replanting them may not yield a good result because of the double trauma of the grafts being removed and inserted twice.

Obviously you could use a laser to get rid of them altogether.

Preferred option is to implant new grafts around them.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

I know, many of you experienced members on here, will know all the horror stories about the Hospital Group in the UK. So, I don't want you saying I told you so. I wouldn't say this is a horror story, but I certainly wouldn't call it a success, distincly mediocre at best.

Right, I received a Hair Transplant from the Hospital Group in February 2010, after a consultation in late 2009. I was taken in by sales pitch, by the slick salesman Tarquin. I was very vulnerable at that time, as I felt my hairloss had began to accelerate again. By this stage I was a Norwood 2, just on the front. High forehead, fairly deep recession v shape.

Anyway, after I had put down deposit I began to find a lot of material that was bad about Hospital Group, that I had not seen before. Needless to say, I was worried about this. I was very skeptical, but paid the rest of the money, and unconvincingly went along with it. Tarquin ensured me it would work out, and there was a lot of 'media propeganda' at that time against the Hospital Group. Bullshit!!!

At the operation in Broomsgrove, near Birmingham, and about half-way through, the operation I could tell the density was no where near enough. Dr. Westwood tried to tell me, when hair is wet it looks less dense (I know what wet hair looks like). But I was drugged up, feeling ill and just had the back of my head cut open so wasn't going to argue.

Dr. Westwood made the incisions for the grafts, but some female assistant placed the grafts in, which I have since found out that grafts placed in the wrong angle give a wirey effect to hair. It took, several months for hair to grow to my normal length, and at first was naively satisfied, although very aware of the low density, but was just happy to get hair in that area for the first time in many years.

Now 2 1/2 years on, I have a sizeable scar on the back of my head, and the the transplanted hair on front is thin and fairly wirey, compared to the rest of my hair which is pretty thick and flat. Now I have to cover the front area with Nanogen, which looks pretty unnatural.

It was an expensive process for several years, but it helped get me through some important stages in my life, such as University, which I'm not sure I would have even had the self-confidence to achieve, with not having any hair there.

I have some questions if I could get honest answers I would appreciate it.

• Am I right in saying the 'top' hair transplant surgeons do the whole process themselves? and not just pass it on to some assistant to do after making the graft incisions?
  • Is it possible to take out grafts if I chose to in future, or would that be almost impossible?
  • Who are the best hair transplant surgeons for repair such as frontal and strip repair? I was looking at Dr. Feriduni in Belgium, which I've heard great things about.
  • Would it be worthwhile waiting for cloning or a form of multiplication to come out as preferably I don't want to have much more hair taken from the back of my head?

Thanks

Hello Rocket Man,

As a patient advocate, I am always distressed to hear stories like this. Told you so's are really immature and not helpful. Regarding your questions I share the following:

Am I right in saying the 'top' hair transplant surgeons do the whole process themselves?

Most of the top surgeons I am familliar with work with a team of superb technicians. When doing the common 2000+ grafts we see in our practice it is important to expedite implantation without sacrificing quality, art and care. The fatigue factor of a single person doing such a surgery may prove to be a disadvantage and most likely more costly. I don't think your poor results would have been changed simply because the physician placed all the grafts. HTN does on sites visits and does not give recommendation easily.

Hair transplant repairs usually for older outdated ones, but always are performed in our office several times monthly. Their is a good chance that without moving grafts you can have another procedure giving you the natural results you desire within reasonable expectation.

Who are the best hair transplant surgeons for repair such as frontal and strip repair? I was looking at Dr. Feriduni in Belgium, I can not speak to the surgeons outside the USA, but double check with folks here at HTN.

Would it be worthwhile waiting for cloning or a form of multiplication to come out as preferably I don't want to have much more hair taken from the back of my head?

Without seeing what you have available for donor hair and your hair density this is a challenge to advise on. One consideration is when this will be an approved and viable option, this is uncertain. Of course if you are willing to wait a few years and its available why not. If your need to improve your quality of life is more urgent, share some pics and consult with doctors who are in HTN.

Hoping All the Best from This Point On, Michael.

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

Thanks for the comments and answers. Its good to know there is a network here that we can share our (bad) experiences.

Am just really feed up of it now. The whole point of me getting a HT was to stop feeling anxious and worried about my hair, and that it would look as natural as possible, like it did before. Just want to get it sorted, and get on with my life.

I know the whole cloning debate is extensive, and a question of if, when and who? But it may be an option for future, possibly in terms of binding the cells so whole head is dht resistant, from what I have found in previous research.

I would consider someone like Feriduni, Feller or Konior in a heartbeat, its just I don't have the funds for another ht a the moment - which is always the factor. Maybe next year if I can save up a bit!

Will definitely post some pictures up soon. Would be appreciated for any feedback - just don't be too negative!!!

Hi

Don't worry, there are lots of experienced surgeons who can carry out repair work, get you back looking on top form. You should have a look on here and hairlossexperiences.co.uk and send some photos to a number of different doctors, so you get an idea of what can be done. There are some top guys in belgium, you could travel there for a consult and do 2 docs in a day. For USA/Canada, you could do virtual consults.

I have just had a 2nd op in Belgium with Dr Devroye, a hairline tweak (pics to follow) and I had my 1st op with Dr Feriduni. Both excellent surgeons.

Good luck

PhilUk and BadhairUk are memorable repair cases and I think they did have some of their work done for free.

I only got 650 grafts for no extra charge when I only paid for 1250 :)

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Dear Rocketman,

im feeling for you as it happened to me also.

I cringe everytime i hear/see someone going to the hospital,aahhhh

its a shame,we both got conned by their salesman talk etc etc.

ANYWAY,

its time to move forward and keep positive and chin up,i was so down too but

it will be ok if youve a decent amount of donor remaining.

for now,

FORGET about your wide/large scar that they left you,

its probably too low anyways as mine was.

I HOPE YOU CAN TAKE MY ADVICE,AS I WANT TO SEE YOU HAPPY AGAIN,

as theres great surgeons out there who will help you achieve what you want.

1, send your pics to a quality coalition surgeon of your choice

and trust what they tell you,make sure your pics are clear.

2,whatever surgeon you choose,theyll most probably leave your wide scar

and take a higher strip from your donor,

because they wont get many grafts from your old scar plus theyll want to charge you to repair it.

You can repair it later my friend once youve got nice hair on top youll smile.

3,DONT WORRY about having 2 scars as i have,so long as you harvest max grafts then later if you feel youve enough hair,

a god surgeon can cut your 2 scars into one scar

or

put some fue into your bad scar.

i wont reccomend surgeons names

just choose a well known coalition that you can get to easily and afford etc

all the best my friend

sorry you got duped like me

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the further replies spex, chrisdav and bigcow. Spex, I was actually planning on messaging you before at some point as I know you are a respected member of the online community. I've finally been able to attach some photo's for feedback, but as I said before don't be too harsh! Will try and upload some more at a different angle at a later stage;

http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o795/Rocket_Man10/GalaxyS3-October2012240_zps59943ab7.jpg

http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o795/Rocket_Man10/GalaxyS3-October2012239_zpsf4a09c96.jpg

http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o795/Rocket_Man10/GalaxyS3-October2012244_zps76362e18.jpg

http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o795/Rocket_Man10/GalaxyS3-October2012243_zps0b5ff5fc.jpg

Rocketman,

I feel for you, i too was a patient at the hospital group and know where your coming from. Try and not let that experience put you off, as the difference between them and a great surgeon is really like night and day.

I had a great experience on my second procedure and was able to erase the work done by them and achieve the hair i was looking for.

Best of luck fella :)

Hair Transplant Dr Feller Oct 2011

Hair Transplant Dr Lorenzo June 2014

Dont worry about anything Rocketman,

the photos youve showed im sure many coalition surgeons would give you great advice on.

i too was very worried about my scar as it was approx same size as yours.

MAIN THING IS ,

1,make yourself feel happier with more hair upfront

done by a quality named surgeon of your choice.

2,after that you can explore your options of trying a scar revision

or

fue/fut into scar etc.

its all good.

p.s. i too still have nightmares over the clinic and sitting in that little hot room downstairs.

Guys, this is my first ever post and really can only offer some feedback on Dr Feller. I had my own treatment in August of this year and whilst it's too early to talk about regrowth I can say that the scar has healed remarkably well and in only two months it's just about invisible already.

The best advice I received on this forum was to take the time and choose the right surgeon. I had been originally focussed on location due to concerns about travelling back home post the surgery, this was the wrong priority and thanks to Spex I took time out, cancelled an appointment I had in the UK and booked with Dr Feller, best decision I made as I am happy I have given my transplant the best chance to work.

Good luck with your next treatment !

Rocketman,

I feel for you, i too was a patient at the hospital group and know where your coming from. Try and not let that experience put you off, as the difference between them and a great surgeon is really like night and day.

I had a great experience on my second procedure and was able to erase the work done by them and achieve the hair i was looking for.

Best of luck fella :)

Hello Rocketman & Irish Sailor,

It is unfortunate the you both had a negative experience. But I really appreciate Irishsailor; putting in the positives about his second experience. I am fortunate to work for a top HTN recommended surgeon and that's what makes this forum so awesome. So, spread the word and take advantage of the knowledge and the skill physicians who are recommended here. All the Best, Michael

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

Thanks again for the feedback guys. I am positive I will get it sorted at some point, however as I said before, its now about saving up for the procedure, and taking the time to make sure I choose the right option this time. Although from the extensive reading and watched videos, I can tell that the listed surgeons on this thread, come with vast experience and great results.

Would be interested in hearing what Spex has to say on this??? I did message him but havn't heard anything yet...

I am also wondering how many more people really have been disfigured or disatisfied with results from the Hospital Group? I'm guessing there's a lot more that aren't even registered on these 'hair community' forums. It really is sickening that they have sold the same dream and lied to so many of us!

Hi Rocket man, so sorry to hear about your situation:(....i know first hand the emotional pain your going through right now dude. Try to stay positive though because in the right hands there is hope, i was fortunate to get repaired by Shapiro Medical Group in the US and am extremely happy with my life now.

I have seen some amazing repair jobs done in europe too from the likes of Feriduni, Devroye, BHR and Mwamba to name but a few. I would get a few online consults with top doctors so you can see what different approaches are suggested and pick one you feel comfortable with.

Good luck in your quest to get sorted i truly hope you get a good resolution:)

Kindest regards BN

2 poor very poor UK ht's

2 world class repairs with Shapiro Medical Group

original thread

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.co...d.php?t=134995

Dr Paul's procedure http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1710

Dr Ron's procedure

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1128

I echo BNs sentiments. His life was turned around by Shapiro, who is top notch.Shapiro's work is very under promoted on the forums. I also agree about the comments re Belgium; 10 years ago, the orthodoxy was that you had to travel to USA/Canada for good work,; for a few years now, the same standard has been available in Europe, particularly in Belgium.

Shapiro and the Belgium Drs just get on with doing excellent work without the hype

Good luck

• 7 months later...

Hi guys, I'm back!!! Reason for the delay in update is that I was in between jobs and didn't know what was happening financially. Since then I have seen Farjo in the UK and he told me I would need 2200 grafts, but probably at least 3000 for lowering my hairline too, which is a risk considering my hair behind the transplanted hair does appear to be thinner than I once was. He did say I had about 8000 follicles left at current.

Still can't really afford another hair transplant but am in a better position now and am willing to go through with it depending on the options, as I clearly need this sorted now.

I am keen to hear from Spex again, and see if he can help or advise?!

Its a pity to hear another bad story about the hospital group i had my procedure with dr westwood in 2009 and had the same terrible experience,really bad scar and very low density and pluggy hairline .indeed i have since heard that dr westwood was let go by the hospital groupe due to failing eye sight but not before he ruined my life .my next port of call was with a clinic in athens courtesey of malcom mendehlsonanother silver tongued charlatan of a rep who promised me the world but left me with another donor scar and hardly any graft growth.i guess what im trying to say to you is stay positive im in the midst of having my hair repaired by a reputable dr who was suggested on this forum.

So stay positive take the advice of the very helpful and knowlegeable forum members get yourself a good surgeon and get it sorted.remember something can be done dont dwell on the problem and let it take control of your life.you can be helped and you have come to the right place to get that help.sorry for long post but it really hits home when i see another persons life being put on hold by unscrupulous and shoddy clinics and surgeons.good luck with your hair repair journey .

Best regards

Barry

Just wanted to add this and say best of luck.

"Am I right in saying the 'top' hair transplant surgeons do the whole process themselves? and not just pass it on to some assistant to do after making the graft incisions?"

I am under the impression that when the doctor makes the incisions, this is what decides the direction the hair grows, not the assistants placing the grafts.

Its a pity to hear another bad story about the hospital group i had my procedure with dr westwood in 2009 and had the same terrible experience,really bad scar and very low density and pluggy hairline .indeed i have since heard that dr westwood was let go by the hospital groupe due to failing eye sight but not before he ruined my life .my next port of call was with a clinic in athens courtesey of malcom mendehlsonanother silver tongued charlatan of a rep who promised me the world but left me with another donor scar and hardly any graft growth.i guess what im trying to say to you is stay positive im in the midst of having my hair repaired by a reputable dr who was suggested on this forum.

So stay positive take the advice of the very helpful and knowlegeable forum members get yourself a good surgeon and get it sorted.remember something can be done dont dwell on the problem and let it take control of your life.you can be helped and you have come to the right place to get that help.sorry for long post but it really hits home when i see another persons life being put on hold by unscrupulous and shoddy clinics and surgeons.good luck with your hair repair journey .

Best regards

Barry

Thanks for your comments muttley. I had also heard that Westwood has since quit, and heard that Tarquin is now a sales rep for Ziering. Other than Farjo, there's no way I would ever consider getting surgery done in the UK ever again!

I hope you have since been able to get your hair repaired to satisfactory standard and are able to live your life again. I remember, before I got my transplant all I would think about was my hair recession, how people would perceive me and how I just wanted it fixed - now it's the regret of being talked and pressured into the surgery at a young age.