Review: 2700 grafts FUE: 5.5 weeks update - your opinions wanted.

truewiz

Hi,

My hair journey started about 10 years ago when I discovered that my hair was slowly receding away. I am now in my early 30s and in the last five years, the receding has quickened and then suddenly slowed.

Norwood classification:

I am now a norwood 3A. No problems in the crown at all, which is a relief.

Hair type:

I have curly, wavy, dense hair. Dark brown/blonde. A good match for a hair transplant I would imagine.

Where I had my surgery performed:

After much research and what would be most cost effective, I went with an slightly unusual choice. I decided on a doctor who has a strong history in FUE in Belgium. Belgium doctors have what I believe is the most cost effective and strongest results in FUE that I have seen outside the USA.

The name of the doctor:

Dr Rudi De Reys.

Patient aftercare:

However, it has been a particularly difficult after-period for me.

I have emailed the dr and recieved less than 50% reply rate in the past 2-3 weeks. I am generally not too happy with the performance of the after-care I have been provided. I will detail this later in the review. I understand he is busy, but he really needs to produce better post-care help in my opinion. I am going to be as kind and fair as possible and allow the DR more time to reply to my questions and any that are posted here that may help me and others.

But, to be fair, the patient care during the surgery was stellar and I can't fault that. He used to practice at the prohairclinic.

Now he works out of his own private clinic. The price was very competitive. He is very kind , quiet and confident. I really felt apart of his family, as its a family business.

But first to the rest of the technicals...

Grafts and hair folicle count:

2700 grafts total. Had asked for 3000, told me I didn't need the other 300. A more technical explanation was not given. Apparantly my lower scalp has a roll in it, and it made it hard to extract. However, I don't believe that's a very adequate explanation given my

strong density factors.

6148 hairs comprised of:

470 singles

2140 doubles

450 triples

12 quads

I have no idea what that density equals, but appears the FUR technique works well with some and produces high yields in cases like mine.

FUE punch style:

A manual FUE punch. Care was taken with every hair graft and I compliment his team on this result.

Recipient area:

Total size of the recipient site was not provided. These technical specifics have been requested and are pending.

My donor density:

My donor density was also not provided. Again, I wish I had this figure. The doctor said that it's impossible to count, but we all

know this is not the current medically accpeted opinion among other docs on this forum.

During surgery:

I bled profusely I was told. And the level of antisethic that I needed was very high. I needed a nerve blocker above my eyebrow at one stage. I could feel quite a bit of the insertions and extractions and continued to need more injections to stop the pain. It

wasn't easy.

Donor punch:

0.75mm

Because of the small instrument used, the donor area after 5.5 weeks shows very little shockloss, minimal scarring and itchiness is subsiding.

FUE placement techqniue used:

Lateral slit technique. Pretty standard for most docs.

Density/dense packing:

The doc was conservative with density and post-transplant, this is an area I am not happy with. It is my mistake because I never discussed the issue in enough detail, but from my understanding I had assumed 50 -60cm2, but the doc told me no and instead, this is

how he peformed it/counted density in my case:

- single hairs at 50cm2 at the first halfcm of the hairline and then 2s and 3s (hair folicles) at 30-35cm2, which the doc tells me is

roughly equivalent to 50cm2. Based on my research, I am sceptical that this is the same as 50cm2 all over, but the doc told me he did this so I wouldn't lose grafts to miniturisation during the growth stage. I know other Belgium docs can get density, so i'm annoyed I

was at least given the option to try.

Procedure:

Doc was very professional and his small team very good. Was broken up into a 2-day period. 1500 grafts the first and 1200 the second day.

Procedure took many, many hours and I must admit the doc and nurse payed very close attention to me and the grafts. Procedure roughly lasted from 8am - 9pm on both days. But that included copious amounts of time for bathroom breaks, meal breaks and to prevent doctor and nurse fatigue. Top marks.

Pain:

Lots. Anyone who tells you FUE is painless is either lying to you or basing his/her beliefs on the fortunate results of those who have not experienced any pain. Yes, it's not common, but it can happen.

In my case, the pain was shocking. The donor area exploded into a nerve ending all-night party after 4 days. Before that, everything seemed fine and then...whamm! There was constant heat extruding from the donor area and it was agony to sleep at night. Only cold

packs helped and massive amounts of over the counter painkillers such as Nurafin (ibrupfoen) and paracetamol.

After about 2 weeks, the pain finally started to go away. At 3 - 4 weeks, the pain had vanished completely. But I have to say, it was so bad that at one stage, I lost my appetite, could hardly walk, couldnt sleep and was so ill, I thought I would have permanent

damage. Things improved greatly and now I can live to tell that part of the tale.

Scabbing:

All scabs were cleaned away by the 8th or 9th day, after beginning to wash them on the 7th day with shampoo according to strict post hair wash procedures.

After 5.5 weeks:

Here is where the problems begin. At 5.5 weeks, as my pictures will show - I have deep red pigmentation in my recipient area. In regular light, the skin appars just 'pink'. Under florescent indoor lighting, the scalp appears very red and looks inflamed.

Furthermore, I know this to be true with my skin type as I am fair skinned and get pink very easily.

Problems: (pigmentation, pimples, potential pitting/cobblestoning)

In the last few weeks I have developed lots of big pussy pimples, bumps and on closer inspection, a 'cobblestoning' effect of the skin. However, I could be wrong about this, but that's what it looks like (see attached pics). I would appreciate any docs on the forum to check out my close up pics and give their most honest opinion. My doc has still not provided me with an answer for my pics.

I have been a little depressed lately, as I believe that my recipeient area looks very unnatural and very hard to hide. I wonder how much longer it will take. Also, the skin seems more raised and where the hair folicles are growing, you can see the little raised

bumps from where they have popped out. I would like to know people's opinions if this is normal at 5.5 weeks or something that will go away in time as the months wear on?

Any kind thoughts/opinions that may help to relieve my fears would be most appreciated. More pics will follow in days/weeks to come.

Will update as the doc provides me with requested info.

Pics for comparison:

Pics at day 3 show placemnent under regular and indoor light. Pics at day 38 (week5.5) show pinkness, redness etc. Compare as you wish.

I will appreciate your comments and questions.

Thankyou for reading,

TrueWiz.

5b32d492ad5d8_5.5weekhair2.jpg.2d8e66eb54a226ed09d0c9f450fa0abc.jpg

5b32d492c210c_5.5weekshair6.jpg.7f7b794d1249049b8ea8a4e824bc2ff2.jpg

5b32d492e5460_5.5weekhair3.jpg.e2692609652e6b0a0ffdefa200c1f1a4.jpg

5b32d492f30f0_5.5weekhair5.jpg.8c3b811b7dcbf6ae050d2be497fb1e55.jpg

5b32d4931eed3_hairday3.jpg.65c9a27b57b30dc04f583ebe6401c082.jpg

5b32d49333745_day3underlight.jpg.683c58eea79898a05030d9c734756847.jpg

Hi Truewiz

Although I have not had a HT myself, I have been around long enough on the forums to know what is what I think.

That redness will presist for probably another month or so. This is always the case with people with fair skin.

The raised bumps are a concern however. It sounds like ingrown hairs. This could affect your final result if it gets out of control. Your doctor should be getting back to you ASAP. Nothing to panic about, but it would be best to get on top of it, perhaps with an antibiotic cream/minor steroid cream.

Design looks good though and I think you are going to get a good result here. It sounds like you are getting some early growth to be honest. Good luck :)

Hi,

My hair journey started about 10 years ago when I discovered that my hair was slowly receding away. I am now in my early 30s and in the last five years, the receding has quickened and then suddenly slowed.

Norwood classification:

I am now a norwood 3A. No problems in the crown at all, which is a relief.

Hair type:

I have curly, wavy, dense hair. Dark brown/blonde. A good match for a hair transplant I would imagine.

Where I had my surgery performed:

After much research and what would be most cost effective, I went with an slightly unusual choice. I decided on a doctor who has a strong history in FUE in Belgium. Belgium doctors have what I believe is the most cost effective and strongest results in FUE that I have seen outside the USA.

The name of the doctor:

Dr Rudi De Reys.

Patient aftercare:

However, it has been a particularly difficult after-period for me.

I have emailed the dr and recieved less than 50% reply rate in the past 2-3 weeks. I am generally not too happy with the performance of the after-care I have been provided. I will detail this later in the review. I understand he is busy, but he really needs to produce better post-care help in my opinion. I am going to be as kind and fair as possible and allow the DR more time to reply to my questions and any that are posted here that may help me and others.

But, to be fair, the patient care during the surgery was stellar and I can't fault that. He used to practice at the prohairclinic.

Now he works out of his own private clinic. The price was very competitive. He is very kind , quiet and confident. I really felt apart of his family, as its a family business.

But first to the rest of the technicals...

Grafts and hair folicle count:

2700 grafts total. Had asked for 3000, told me I didn't need the other 300. A more technical explanation was not given. Apparantly my lower scalp has a roll in it, and it made it hard to extract. However, I don't believe that's a very adequate explanation given my

strong density factors.

6148 hairs comprised of:

470 singles

2140 doubles

450 triples

12 quads

I have no idea what that density equals, but appears the FUR technique works well with some and produces high yields in cases like mine.

FUE punch style:

A manual FUE punch. Care was taken with every hair graft and I compliment his team on this result.

Recipient area:

Total size of the recipient site was not provided. These technical specifics have been requested and are pending.

My donor density:

My donor density was also not provided. Again, I wish I had this figure. The doctor said that it's impossible to count, but we all

know this is not the current medically accpeted opinion among other docs on this forum.

During surgery:

I bled profusely I was told. And the level of antisethic that I needed was very high. I needed a nerve blocker above my eyebrow at one stage. I could feel quite a bit of the insertions and extractions and continued to need more injections to stop the pain. It

wasn't easy.

Donor punch:

0.75mm

Because of the small instrument used, the donor area after 5.5 weeks shows very little shockloss, minimal scarring and itchiness is subsiding.

FUE placement techqniue used:

Lateral slit technique. Pretty standard for most docs.

Density/dense packing:

The doc was conservative with density and post-transplant, this is an area I am not happy with. It is my mistake because I never discussed the issue in enough detail, but from my understanding I had assumed 50 -60cm2, but the doc told me no and instead, this is

how he peformed it/counted density in my case:

- single hairs at 50cm2 at the first halfcm of the hairline and then 2s and 3s (hair folicles) at 30-35cm2, which the doc tells me is

roughly equivalent to 50cm2. Based on my research, I am sceptical that this is the same as 50cm2 all over, but the doc told me he did this so I wouldn't lose grafts to miniturisation during the growth stage. I know other Belgium docs can get density, so i'm annoyed I

was at least given the option to try.

Procedure:

Doc was very professional and his small team very good. Was broken up into a 2-day period. 1500 grafts the first and 1200 the second day.

Procedure took many, many hours and I must admit the doc and nurse payed very close attention to me and the grafts. Procedure roughly lasted from 8am - 9pm on both days. But that included copious amounts of time for bathroom breaks, meal breaks and to prevent doctor and nurse fatigue. Top marks.

Pain:

Lots. Anyone who tells you FUE is painless is either lying to you or basing his/her beliefs on the fortunate results of those who have not experienced any pain. Yes, it's not common, but it can happen.

In my case, the pain was shocking. The donor area exploded into a nerve ending all-night party after 4 days. Before that, everything seemed fine and then...whamm! There was constant heat extruding from the donor area and it was agony to sleep at night. Only cold

packs helped and massive amounts of over the counter painkillers such as Nurafin (ibrupfoen) and paracetamol.

After about 2 weeks, the pain finally started to go away. At 3 - 4 weeks, the pain had vanished completely. But I have to say, it was so bad that at one stage, I lost my appetite, could hardly walk, couldnt sleep and was so ill, I thought I would have permanent

damage. Things improved greatly and now I can live to tell that part of the tale.

Scabbing:

All scabs were cleaned away by the 8th or 9th day, after beginning to wash them on the 7th day with shampoo according to strict post hair wash procedures.

After 5.5 weeks:

Here is where the problems begin. At 5.5 weeks, as my pictures will show - I have deep red pigmentation in my recipient area. In regular light, the skin appars just 'pink'. Under florescent indoor lighting, the scalp appears very red and looks inflamed.

Furthermore, I know this to be true with my skin type as I am fair skinned and get pink very easily.

Problems: (pigmentation, pimples, potential pitting/cobblestoning)

In the last few weeks I have developed lots of big pussy pimples, bumps and on closer inspection, a 'cobblestoning' effect of the skin. However, I could be wrong about this, but that's what it looks like (see attached pics). I would appreciate any docs on the forum to check out my close up pics and give their most honest opinion. My doc has still not provided me with an answer for my pics.

I have been a little depressed lately, as I believe that my recipeient area looks very unnatural and very hard to hide. I wonder how much longer it will take. Also, the skin seems more raised and where the hair folicles are growing, you can see the little raised

bumps from where they have popped out. I would like to know people's opinions if this is normal at 5.5 weeks or something that will go away in time as the months wear on?

Any kind thoughts/opinions that may help to relieve my fears would be most appreciated. More pics will follow in days/weeks to come.

Will update as the doc provides me with requested info.

Pics for comparison:

Pics at day 3 show placemnent under regular and indoor light. Pics at day 38 (week5.5) show pinkness, redness etc. Compare as you wish.

I will appreciate your comments and questions.

Thankyou for reading,

TrueWiz.

Hey man, don't worry too much about what your recipient area looks like this early. At 5 weeks I looked brutal as well and it can take quite sometime before things heal and your dome starts to look normal. I would look in the mirror obsessively and truth is its not very healthy as its gonna take a couple months to see real change start to develop. The pimples are a good sign I think. I'm at 6 months now and couldn't be happier with everything that has transpired, but at 2 months I thought that I would never Get to where I'm at right now. Chill out and don't get too obsessed. Early days man. Good luck!

• 4 months later...

I'd also be very interested to see an update as I'm meeting Dr. De Reys in a few weeks for an in person consult.

2,200 FUE + PRP with Dr Bisanga - BHR Clinic, 22-23 August 2013 - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171950-my-fue-2-200-prp-dr-bisanga-bhr-clinic.html

Current Regimen:

- Rogaine 5% Foam 2x daily

- Jasons Restorative Biotin Shampoo 2x daily / Nizoral 2% 2x weekly

- Nettle Root 500mg, MSM 1500mg, Biotin 5mg, Multi Vit, Omega 3

• 1 month later...

I would like to see the results. The work looks clean and the line really nice. I am going to see Dr. Reys soon. I am also considering Prohairclinic, I am not sure yet. Good luck! You hair looks great for 5.5 weeks.

An amazing experience (4002 grafts) with Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED Clinic).

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hi mate, i had 1500 graphs with this doctor and i agree, the pain was absolutely brutal! I mean shocking at times!

I am now convinced that this doc must use some kind of sh#te anaesthetic because it didn't completely numb my pain and i also needed a nerve blocker.

I think there is few other guys on here that has had the same experience with this doc so its no coincidence!

Apart from the pain everything else i am happy with so far:)

• 7 months later...