Shaving off new growth until it has matured?

Quick query-for those people that get hair transplants for the frontal hairline, many may prefer to hide their maturing transplanted hair until it has fully matured-rather then have wispy, patchy hair on show at their hairline.

Would it be possible to shave this immature hair off (e.g. with a facial shaving razor) for a period until it becomes mature enough that it would blend in with the natural hair (meaning the hair would be mature when it starts growing in/before it is visible to others)? Or would this damage the grafts?

William.

You won't damage it by shaving but the question of will it blend better with native hairs depends on how much of the hair line was transplanted.

I would also say that if the level of exisitng hair is low and the new transplants are coming in and looking obvious or curly/kinky in texture, then it does not hurt to cut it as it grows.

But if there is a fair amount of exisitng hair that did not readily shock out, then it may be more an issue of styling or using some hair spray/gel to help hold it in place.

And even some guys will buzzcut the entire length of their hair to say a number 2 or 3 guide until all of the transplants have come through and matured.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Here is an example of a guy who did just that. He shaved off the first case, AND then we did a second case, AND he shaved that off for another 8 months and then let it grow. He's a tough case...big head, small donor area of fairly fine hair, and a larger color contrast between hair and scalp. I am not totally sure that he didn't damage a few hairline grafts which required touching up on the second case... Nevertheless he's happy and has had 2 more wives since we started this!

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

32.jpg.21d943deff79886fe98690a6f681aa2a.jpg

101.jpg.beeaf8fee46f3d700d3f07d5d5006e88.jpg

161.jpg.c215969a68344b30a7f11df4f85f7ba7.jpg

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Two more wives?! :eek:

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY