Post-op recipient area appearance - Dr. Panine

I've noticed with a couple of doctors that their post-op pics of patients' recipient areas are very clean. In other words, there is no blood to be seen, and the trauma looks to be much less than many other doctors. Dr. Panine's patients look this way, and I'm wondering why that is? Are his incisions smaller? Does he have some kind of wash/rinse after surgery to get his patients to look this way?

Also, I'm wondering if this could positively affect how many grafts survive?

Not sure and good question. Could it be smaller incisions? More epi?

Not sure, but many doctors seem to be getting cleaner and cleaner post op.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Bigonefive –

The cleaner appearance of my immediate post-op photos is directly correlated to three factors that I work very hard to control during surgery.

The size of the grafts or follicular units and the size of the recipient sites have to closely match in order to minimize the “wobble” effect generated when a graft is too small for the recipient site in which it is placed. The size differential, when too large allows for extravasation of blood. When you see this you are witnessing the aftermath of the “wobble” of the graft in the recipient site. Reducing or eliminating the mismatch between the size of a graft and the site in which it is placed requires a high degree of skill, patience and experience. If any one of these items is missing the result will be sub-prime and the patient will not get the best results possible.

The second item that minimizes the appearance of blood in the immediate post-op photos, is the fact that I control bleeding during surgery with the help of tumescent techniques that I’ve perfected over the 20 years that I have been performing hair restoration.

Finally, larger amounts of bleeding can be caused by using dull instruments. I change blades frequently, as sharp instruments create less tissue trauma. I am very meticulous about the instruments that we use during surgery to ensure they are sharp. Dull instruments cause additional trauma, bleeding and subsequent crusting.

Excessive bleeding can lead to excessive crusting, which has been shown to delay and stunt the growth of grafts. I have found that when you take the additional time to institute several quality control measures you can reduce the immediate post-op bleeding. The measures tend to ensure graft survival and also have the effect of leaving the recipient area very clean to the great satisfaction of patient and doctor alike. Therefore, the cleaner photos are really a product of meticulous care, planning and quality control that we regularly pursue.

Thank you for explaining this, Dr. Panine. I know when I had my surgeries done nearly 20 years ago, the post op was so much messier than today's techniques.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Great feedback Dr. Panine. Thanks for taking the time!

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Dear Dr. Panine, thank you for explaining to others the techniques you use to obtain great results. I can say this because you did Hair Transplant Surgeries on me-three times. You are not only a GREAT H.T. SURGEON, but an excellent man. Thanks for everything you have done for me. The Doctors where I work are TOTALLY IMPRESSED. Mark.

Edited by marcushair