In need of advice...Bosley...yes or no?

brobean

So, I'm a newbie here. Briefly, been thinning for the last 6 years and just had a consultation with Bosley the other day. Scheduled a procedure for a few weeks from now, but these horror stories I've been reading about them online is making me want to puke. They even offered me a free lazercomb which, while I thought was nice, seemed like anothe reason just to get my money.

Stumbled across this site and saw reviews about Dr. Feller and others in my area (long island NY).

So, I need help. I've read reviews on him and am scheduling a consultation. Is Bosley really a butcher shop? Or is it just a case of bad reviews on the internet.

Any and all advice greatly appreciated.

Like you I have read nothing but horrendous reviews of Bosley, if I were you I'd cancel it as it doesn't seem a risk worth taking to me!

I flew from UK to NY and had surgery with Dr. Feller 3 weeks ago today infact! Highly recommended, especially since you're in the area. Check the list of recommended surgeons on this site and read around to learn some stuff.

Good luck with whatever ya do!

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Run....I had surgery with dr feller, you'd be in the best of hands. On the other side, you'd be in the worst of hands with bosley. Don't make the mistake hundreds if not thousands have made on this site by going to bosley. I initially thought about bosley and then I researched and ultimately found dr feller. Thank goodness. There are a bunch of docs doing great work, have consults with a few of them. Good luck!

I think people go there because of advertising, marketing, etc... If you research even the slightest bit you will find terrible story after terrible story of guys being suckered in by ads and salesman. Nobody would spend a couple of grand to have "plugs" and a bad scar, yet somehow through tv ads and disinformation bosley continues to stay in business.

Brobean

Once you spend some time here, you will cancel your appointment or regret you ever had a procedure done with them afterwards. They butchered me up pretty good years ago when I fell for their slick advertising. Now I am correcting all my mistakes between Bosley and Flemming/Mayer...

Bosley is overpriced garbage. Count your blessings you found Dr. Feller. He is one of the finest HT surgeons in the world.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

U def. dodged a bullet...I would also consider dr. Rahal too...check out my before n after n that will give u an idea of how great he is...get a few opinions before u decide on a dr...it will educate u

Avoid Bosley, lots of excellent surgeons listed on here and try to see a few.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Thank your lucky stars you have found this forum and did not decide to go with Bosley. Seriously, buy a lottery ticket tomorrow. You have found a gold mine here where it comes to choosing a quality physician. Look up many of the Doctors listed here and choose one that best suits you. The are among the world's best.

brobean,

The main concern with a national chain marketing cosmetic surgery like a hair transplant or a face lift is that the procedure is sold as a commodity that, by implication, can be executed equally well with identical results by any number of interchangeable doctors affiliated with the chain. As veterans of this site know, that just isn't the case when it comes to hair transplantation. The result one gets from a national chain depends on the surgeon and tech team one draws, which is usually determined by the prospective patient's proximity to an affiliated office. Yes, all the docs are purportedly trained in follicular unit transplantation, but as a perusal of the results on this site posted by recommended docs and their patients reveal, there are differences in approach, aesthetic, technique, planning, etc. that fairly stamp the work of one ht surgeon vs another over time. Hair transplantation is a cosmetic surgery, not a commodity. Yet the befores and afters shown on the national chains' infomercials, web site, and promotional materials are non-surgeon specific, suggesting that a patient of the chain can expect the same result regardless of the doc he is directed to by the chain. That, combined with the pressures of sales quotas, commissions, upsaelling, and getting patients "in the chair" to cover the enormous overhead and advertising outlays create a situation that some say amounts to a crap shoot for the patient. This is not to say you can't luck out and get an excellent transplant from a doc affiliated with a national chain- you can, as a couple of posters here have shown - but generally speaking, I think most members here would agree that your odds of getting a satisfactory result are increased dramatically by avoiding the chains and instead conduct careful research of top notch, reputable, experienced independent hair transplant physicians such as those who are screened and recommended on this site, who post lots of their results and are individually accountable for their work.