whey protein=hair loss

Does it make any difference how much testerone in your veins ???

Hair does not shed due to testerone, it sheds due to a DHT, ( derived rom testerone ) which I guess is what your Genes influence. Some genes make lots of DHT and so don't and some people have loadsa hair some dont !

That being the case - all boxers and wrestlers and athletes would be bald as they take protein shakes - often whey.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

again, just b/c u have an opinion doesnt make it right. people thought the world was flat too...just saying.

Are you saying the world isnt flat? Since when? I just re-read my posts and NO WHERE did I say that I was right and you were wrong. I was stating an opinion. BTW Im happy that your dad is a doctor. That means YOU have all the right answers.Just like my PCP. I'll make sure I check with you next time I have a life or death issue. Go talk to your dad now and I'll wait for your response.

Guys,

There's nothing wrong with a healthy debate, but try to keep the blows above the belt ok?

I've seen no evidence that whey protein or even the heaviest weight lifting causes hair loss. Some of the most muscular men I've ever seen have a full head of hair while some super skinny guys I know who never work out have lost the majority of their hair. While the opposite is also true, the above reality definitely rules out that they're causes of balding.

Like Hdude said, I believe any increase in testosterone is only temporary and not enough to cause additional DHT production. Remember also that DHT isn't the actual cause of hair loss, it's the genes. Thus, DHT only affects hair follicles genetically susceptible to it in those who carry the hair loss genes.

The real question of debate then is not whether or not anything that increases testosterone can cause hair loss, but whether it can accelerate male pattern baldness.

Best wishes,

Bill

The real question of debate then is not whether or not anything that increases testosterone can cause hair loss, but whether it can accelerate male pattern baldness.

Thats all I was trying to say Bill!! Are we atleast in agreement that working out increases testosterone? And if so than testosterone increases DHT levels correct? A person with the MPB gene has incresed levels of DHT correct? MPB gene + working out= testosterone= elevated DHT= possible accelerated hair loss IMO.

dakota....I would agree with you that anyone engaging in an intese work out raises testosterone levels but I'm not sure about your statement of "A person with the MPB gene has incresed levels of DHT correct?" and I would love to know if it is infact true. I was under the impression that a person with the MPB gene does not have more DHT or elevated levels but just more sensitive to the effects of the DHT. I believe this because you see many body builders that have higher testosterone levels and DHT levels but have full heads of hair. Some even use anabolic steroids and synthetic testosterone. So I would think they have the same levels of DHT as someone with the MPB gene, its just their hair is not sensitive to the DHT. Just my opinion and would love to know exactly! The bottom line... I believe is this....if you have the MPB gene you will lose your hair if your work out or not.

Bill Nye the science guy!!! LOL..Great analogy. So with your above statment it just cements my opinion on this subject. Maybe a doctor with more knowledge on the subject will chime in here and give us some facts????

I don't think you can say either way for sure whether working out and whey protein affects hair loss. There simply isn't any evidence. However, I certainly don't see maximuscle or anyone else funding such a study!!

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here:

• 1 month later...

Well i think whey protein has nothing to do with hairloss,i have been working for 3 years.weightlifting causes increase in testerone level ,which results in hair loss.Afterworking out testosterone level are at their maximum.Somehow heard that creatine has an bad effect on hairs,but there is no proper evidence.

"REPOST"

As absurd as this sounds to many, in recent months the same question keeps being asked again and again. So, I agree with the majority here and have the belief that the use of supplementation as whey(or other types) protein, and its link to further hairloss is infounded. But then why is the topic coming to light so frequently?

My thoughts are that upon joining/rejoining the gym or intensifying your workout and regime, is generally a big commitment and change in your lifestyle. One that you are very aware of. Therefore, 6 weeks, 2 months or so down the line, when you feel that you have experienced thinning of the hair, for our own sanity, we must attribute this to something. We cannot accept that we have began down the path of MPB, or that our daily use of Propecia is still allowing our "condition" to worsen. So we look for reasoning from changes in our lifestyle. It must be the training, it must be the whey! Its not just a coincidence that the majority of us guys who are experiencing MPB are insecure about it, and therefore we look after ourselves in other areas. Areas that we do have more control over. Our bodies.

In the contemporary world of science and intense research of most subjects body and health related, especially on this website regarding hairloss, until it is proven that there is a direct effect between furthering MPB and whey protein, I have chosen my side!

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

I posted this before and I think it's a good point. IF whey protein truly caused hair loss, milk would as well (whey is derived from milk). There are two types of protein found in milk, whey and casein. Hypothetically, if whey protein causes hair loss, then so would the following: cottage cheese, cheese, ice cream, and any dairy product. Now with this being said, the saturated fat found in these foods can cause an increase in testosterone...but if you look closely at any brand of whey protein, there is minimal to zero grams of total fat / saturated fat within them. Saturated fat from any kind of food can cause an increase in testosterone, just not dairy foods. Don't think that all "fats" are bad, because that simply is not true. Healthy fats such as polyunsaturated & monounsaturated fats have been shown to have benefits for hair. My point, there is no need to worry about whey protein causing hair loss...start worrying about your saturated fat intake instead. (yes, this has been scientifically proven).

My Hair Loss Website - HT with Dr. Hasson

• 10 months later...

any new info on this subject. I started a weight lifting regimen this week, and wanted to know if I should increase the amount of dutasteride that I take. I currently take 2-3 (.5mg caps) per week.

I know weight lifting has no effect on people that don't have mpb, but I feel it has some negative effects on people with mpb like me. It just seems that a few weeks after starting a lifting program my hair seems to shed faster and my scalp seems tighter. This has happened to me twice in the past. This could just be my mind playing with me, but I'm not sure.

Edited by Montrose02

he had only three hairs on top..

lol was he yellow and goes by the name Homer :D

no new info on the subject and i doubt there will be, however i will say i used to lift heavy about 4 years ago and i noticed that when i have up training my hair improved, i do not believe this was down to anything to do with whey protein or creatine. but i do believe what dekota is saying even tho many people disagree on here.

BUT..... even tho i believe that more DHT is created i would not take more Dustasteride or Finasteride. i would just find out how long it takes the dust or finast to get into your blood stream from first taking it. and then do your weight lifting while the dust or finast is still nicely in the bloodstream and not when its half life is over. then you have done everything in your power.

also look at it this way, if you were scared of whey protein and decided to give it up because you somehow thought it was linked to hairloss. then unless you replace it with another good quality protein then your body is going to be low on the protein it needs to help you recovery from your workout, and your body will take all available protein to aid in your recovery and leave your protein reserves empty for things that also need protein like SKIN and HAIR.

you do the maths....

i say protein is very good for the hair, not its enemy (hair is made from protein so go figure)

but like i said earlier i think the increased testosterone from lifting leads to increased DHT and then leads to accelerated hairloss BUT this will not affect you if your on the DUST or FIN.

Edited by Balboa

Dr A. Armani 2500 Fue

Dec 2008

Proscar X1 Day

Monixodil X2 Day

Msm Daily

• 1 month later...

I have been working out for 4 years and i am loosing hair since 2006.Last year after consulting a dermatologist i started taking finasteride and minoxidil,it made my condition worse the shredding increased.I discontinued the meds after 6 months.In the 4th month i added whey protein,now its showing results for my body but i am loosing hair at a very swift pace.I am very very confused.Should i leave the gym or whey?I took the meds for 6 months,do you thing they did something bad inside my body i mean since i started taking them the shredding has increased a lot.I am 21 years old

I am very very confused.

Get your blood checked for DHT. Establish your base level DHT and work from there. Listen carefully to what they tell you about the test times as DHT levels vary throughout the day. Research. Don't give up.

Get your blood checked for DHT. Establish your base level DHT and work from there. Listen carefully to what they tell you about the test times as DHT levels vary throughout the day. Research. Don't give up.

Thanks for the reply.

Can you please explain a bit more?Establish dht,i did not get that.

Do you think i ate meds for 6 months that are causing the shredding at a swift pace?Or do you think its the whey or working out?

Thanks for the reply.

Can you please explain a bit more?Establish dht,i did not get that.

Do you think i ate meds for 6 months that are causing the shredding at a swift pace?Or do you think its the whey or working out?

DHT dehydrotestosterone - a metabolized offspring of testosterone that sticks to our follicles like barniclles on a boat, slowly killing the vulnerable ones, can be measured and u can be aware of its level in u with and without meds during intense training, during breaks and when on whey and when off it. That is a lot of tests for sure, but even if u do a couple u might get a picture. There are some members on this board that seem to know about this stuff in more detail and some who think the connection between DHt and training is negligible, even bogus. I don't know if anyone can say what causes the shed and whether whey has any part in it. Testosterone does raise with training and supplements, if they do what they say that should do, obviously play a part, mess with the general picture. It's harsh that muscling up should take a toll on our hair given that we wanna do it to compensate but I think being huge isn't necessary just being leaner on ur own personal scale is the way to go. Anyway, hopefully someone will chip in. My DHT levels are 20 above the highest limit for "normal" men. No wonder I was visited by the balding Gods at 18!

DHT dehydrotestosterone - a metabolized offspring of testosterone that sticks to our follicles like barniclles on a boat, slowly killing the vulnerable ones, can be measured and u can be aware of its level in u with and without meds during intense training, during breaks and when on whey and when off it. That is a lot of tests for sure, but even if u do a couple u might get a picture. There are some members on this board that seem to know about this stuff in more detail and some who think the connection between DHt and training is negligible, even bogus. I don't know if anyone can say what causes the shed and whether whey has any part in it. Testosterone does raise with training and supplements, if they do what they say that should do, obviously play a part, mess with the general picture. It's harsh that muscling up should take a toll on our hair given that we wanna do it to compensate but I think being huge isn't necessary just being leaner on ur own personal scale is the way to go. Anyway, hopefully someone will chip in. My DHT levels are 20 above the highest limit for "normal" men. No wonder I was visited by the balding Gods at 18!

Hi

Thanks again for replying

Well now i am more scared :( Only dermatologists check the blood for dht or any doctor will do?Like you said your dht levels are 20,what do you do to lower them?

Whenever i scratch my head i get few dandruff like stuff in my hair and if my hair are wet that white stuff is more,ofcourse few strands come out too.Now i searched on the internet and according to it i have waxy dandruff.Is there any shampoo that can help me in preventing this waxy dandruff?I used ayur herbal shampoo for like 4 years,then shifted to garnier for few days and now dove shampoo.I shampoo on alternate days

Thanks

Edited by becool

Don't let it scare you - as I said, the whey connection is such speculation and there are so many variables in the hormone picture, it will drive you crazy. Just get your DHT checked. When I said I am "20percent over" I mean that there is a normal range or "band", with an upper and lower limit for DHT. Mine registered, measured at 11am, at 20% above the highest mark on the range defined as normal.

What did I do to lower it?

I take propecia, finasteride, as a generic form called fincar at an average of 1.25 a day- probably closer to 1 given the crumbly mess I make chopping it up.

I haven't rechecked my DHT, but knowing my DHT was so high gave me more confidence t go ahead with propeciaand after holding on to some hair (or at least thinking I have succeeded in holding on to hair, I have definitely noticed I am going backwards again recently in the crown area.

Good luck

By the way, your doc may ask you why you need a test - and your answer may influence how much you pay for the test or if insurance might help.

Oh..and I have no idea if you can just walk up for a blood test in your area (I think the rules differ) or if you need a referral from a general physician first.

Hey

Thanks again for replying

Actually i tried Finasteride and Minoxidil but it didn't work for me,it made my condition worst :( I think i made one of my life's biggest mistakes when i started taking these meds,because since then i am loosing hair at a very very swift pace.You can check this thread and read my sad story :(

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/157544-20-experiencing-severe-hair-loss.html

So,since these meds are not for me,what can i do for waxy dandruff?I mean any cure?Do you think this shampoo will work

Ketomac Shampoo

About the blood test,no my insurance wont cover it,and i still don't know what am i gonna tell the doctor

Regards

• 3 weeks later...

1) Actually i tried Finasteride and Minoxidil but it didn't work for me,it made my condition worst

2) So,since these meds are not for me,what can i do for waxy dandruff?I mean any cure?Do you think this shampoo will work

Ketomac Shampoo

3) .. the blood test,no my insurance wont cover it,and i still don't know what am i gonna tell the doctor

1) Sorry to hear about that. Damn, if they don't help, I dunno what might?

2) When I was losing heavily from 18-20, my scalp was frequently greasy, pimply, itchy, dandruffy and warm in the the areas I was losing. It was demoralizing and inconvenient. I think their are good shampoos out there now, but I don't use them nowadays, nor am I up with it, but I did use one a few years ago that made me feel nice, and those keta shampoos are said to help, so give it a go. There are loads of threads about shampoos.

3) I don't wanna take responsibility for what u tell ur doc on that one buddy, but if I had any family history of prostate cancer I might think about taking early preventative action by getting my DHT tested at a young age so as to keep track of it as I aged. If my GP said, that is BS I might try another one, next time I had a bad cold and needed to visit one.