whey protein=hair loss

hello everyone.i go to gym regularly and i only take whey protein .a week ago i have shown to a trichologist.Her assistent asked me that you go to gym ?.she then said dont take whey as it promoted hairfall.she said there is proof of whey promoting hairloss.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. And I'm going to add an extra scoop to my morning potion tomorrow just to prove my confidence. icon_smile.gif

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Whey protein has nothing to do with hair loss or hair growth. I will take advice the doctors of the Coalition over the advice of a trichologist any time, let alone the assistant of a trichologist...

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

that's gotta be some of the dumbest advice ever.

Lifting weights can lead to increased hairloss (as in my case) because of the change in bodyhormones, and whey protein can stimulate muscle growth, but whey is in no way responsible for hair loss.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/04-07 - 800-1600 ish grafts - danish clinic - poor results

12/02-08 - 2764 grafts - Dr. Devroye - good result but needs hairline density

03/12-10 - 1429 grafts - Dr. Mohmand - result pending

Feel free to visit my picture thread

My Hair Transplant Photos - Surgery with Dr. Devroye

Young lads below 25 unite!

Oddly enough I just had a gentleman come into the office today for consultation, as a NW6, and he swears that since he started taking whey protein on a daily basis he has had regrowth. It wasn't much hair he had on top but he claims that before the whey protein intake started he had only three hairs on top. I'm not endorsing what he said, just saying it's very contrary to what is being said by the initial poster.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Lifting weights can lead to increased hairloss (as in my case) because of the change in bodyhormones

Can anybody substantiate or elaborate on this? I read there is a connection between lifting and hormones, and between certain hormones and hairloss.

However, are we talking about a <span class="ev_code_RED">direct</span> link between lifting and hairloss? Could lifting elevate the "right" hormones <span class="ev_code_RED">enough</span> to affect hairloss?

This topic interests me and I hope that some enlightened person comments on it. I have lifed weights for 12 year since age 18 or so. I have taken whey protein for all of my adult life. I am the only one in my family that weight lifts at all and I do so intensely, interestingly I am the only male in my immediate family with hair loss. My father have a full thick head of hair, that is so thick the barber curses him when he comes in, both brothers have a full head of hair. I am the only one with 1.5 inch recession in my forehead and IMO severe recession in my temples.

I come from a science background so I am not willing to accept a theory based on case studies like mine but it does raise a point. It is possible that my tesosterone levels are higher than my other family members by the weight lifting, diet which has affected me unlike my bros.

Looking forward to my HT to give me the same low hairline as my 50 year old dad ... sad that I need surgery to get what I should have genetically been bestowed with.

Originally posted by ShavedDethMonk:

This topic interests me and I hope that some enlightened person comments on it. I have lifed weights for 12 year since age 18 or so. I have taken whey protein for all of my adult life. I am the only one in my family that weight lifts at all and I do so intensely, interestingly I am the only male in my immediate family with hair loss. My father have a full thick head of hair, that is so thick the barber curses him when he comes in, both brothers have a full head of hair. I am the only one with 1.5 inch recession in my forehead and IMO severe recession in my temples.

I come from a science background so I am not willing to accept a theory based on case studies like mine but it does raise a point. It is possible that my tesosterone levels are higher than my other family members by the weight lifting, diet which has affected me unlike my bros.

Looking forward to my HT to give me the same low hairline as my 50 year old dad ... sad that I need surgery to get what I should have genetically been bestowed with.

SDM:

Are you currently taking any hairloss meds?

Shavedethmonth:

well, i can give you the opposite situation. My father, 65, has absolutely no hair loss. My brother late twenty, uses whey and work out with much more intensity than me, also has no hair loss.

I used to take whey up until about 6 years ago, and reduced my weight training, yet my recession started to be noticeable about 4 years ago.

These isolated cases like yours and mine, mean nothing because they are just coincidental.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

SDM:

Yes Ive been on Propecia for 2.5 years now and have a HT scheduled for Dec 14th 2009 to 'fix' the recession of my temples and hairline. I just got a note sent to my Dr from my pharmacist asking if I can switch to Proscar to save some big bucks.

working out and Whey protein do not cause hairloss. It is nothing more than a person seeking "reasons" why they are losing their hair.

Everyone losing their hair including myself goes through this period of excessive questioning and over analysis in the beginning

Is it the vitamins ?

the shampoo?

Allergies?

hats?

What have I done differently...

Seriously, with the exception of a couple RARE cases, its nothing more than male pattern balness and it doesnt matter if your dad or brother has a full head of hair

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

• 11 months later...
Originally posted by ShavedDethMonk:

SDM:

Yes Ive been on Propecia for 2.5 years now and have a HT scheduled for Dec 14th 2009 to 'fix' the recession of my temples and hairline. I just got a note sent to my Dr from my pharmacist asking if I can switch to Proscar to save some big bucks.

There are cheaper version of Porpecia Available in other countries which will be very affordable .along with it you can source biotin and Mineral Supplements. just to give you an idea

30 tabs of Propecia would cost you:$4 Yes i am writing $4 + Shipping cost.

Biotin 5mg+ Zinc is little expensive close to $10. ..The million dollar question is,can you source it.Take care

nice topic ill join in on this one.

Whey protein does not cause hairloss. infact whey protein is made up of amino acids that actually improve collagen and increase wound healing.

whey also has been linked with anti inflammatory effects but this is yet to be proven.

back when i first noticed my hairloss i decided to get fitter and exercise more. i also took up weight lifting.

i used to be on and off whey protein allot and and always noticed improved thickness when on it.

lifting weights i do feel contributed to my accelerated hairloss but back then i was not on finasteride and was not even looking into the transplant world.

my hair was always at its best when i took a brake from lifting weights but still carried on taking whey protein.

I would suggest choosing whey isolate over other forms of whey and i would also choose one that does not contain any of the following ingredients: Acesulfame,Aspartame,Saccharin,Sucralose

those above are known as artificial sweeteners and have no nutritional benefits. they are actually linked to dieses such as certain cancer but just do your own research if your interested.

you can also get certain whey powders that aren't just whey protein, they also contain androgenic boosters which leads to higher levels of testosterone so will lead to higher levels of DHT

personally the protein i choose which tastes good and has no artificial sweeteners or testosterone boosters is LA MUSCLE WHEY. they do sell other items aswell that would contribute to hairloss so make sure you only use there WHEY and not other products.

Dr A. Armani 2500 Fue

Dec 2008

Proscar X1 Day

Monixodil X2 Day

Msm Daily

• 2 weeks later...

I can assure you that whey protein has no effect on hair loss. I use to be a competative amatuer bodybuilder so I use to live on whey protein and meal replacement shakes. If anything this will make your hair stronger. The supplements you want to stay away from are: DHEA, tribulus, ecdysterone, and some fat burners. Another good protein source other than whey is egg white protein powder. It's actually easier for the body to digest...

This topic interests me and I hope that some enlightened person comments on it. I have lifed weights for 12 year since age 18 or so. I have taken whey protein for all of my adult life. I am the only one in my family that weight lifts at all and I do so intensely, interestingly I am the only male in my immediate family with hair loss

I have the same issue. I am the only one in my family that lifts weights and also the only one that is losing my hair... I have to say though that being in good physical shape would superceed being in bad shape and having a full head of hair. I also think that you have to be predisposed "have the gene" to MPB to actually lose hair do to lifting weights.

this thread is borderline rediculous. if protein/weight lifting caused hair loss, then every person in the world, athlete or not, who lifted weights and exercised would be bald.

have a little common sense people. you are losing your hair b/c of mpb.

this thread is borderline rediculous. if protein/weight lifting caused hair loss, then every person in the world, athlete or not, who lifted weights and exercised would be bald.

have a little common sense people. you are losing your hair b/c of mpb

So you must lift weights and understand what weight lifting does to testosterone levels then huh? What I said is that I think you have to be predisposed to MPB "in your genes" in order for lifting weights to cause hair loss. I guess Im rediculous then, because I believe that lifting weights and exercising rigerously does have an effect on testosterone levels and therfore can cause excellerated hairloss in people who are destined for MPB.

So hdude46 you must either be a doctor or have talked to every doctor? Either way I think you should disclose this!

So lets get this straight! There are 168 hours in a week. You work out 5 days a week which can elevate your testosterone while your working out and also 2 hours or so after you work out. So roughly 3 hours a day X 5 days a week = 15 hours a week with extra elevated testosterone on top of the extra elevated testosterone a man with MPB has anyways. So does this mean you can garauntee that lifting weights absolutly will not accelerate hairloss in men that have the MPB gene? I must admit that these are my own opinions however it does seem that you can not rule out the fact that extra testosterone can accelerate hairloss.

believe what u want to man, no one is going to change your mind. but just fwiw my dad is a dr and he laughed at this when i brought it up. he also said that in science just b/c a+b=c, that does not mean that it will go that way in the real world per se if that makes any sense. there are a lot of theoretical's and people always tring to diagnose themselves or problems they have but have no idea what they are talking about (like yourself here).

again, just b/c u have an opinion doesnt make it right. people thought the world was flat too...just saying.