nimrod

Already said:

Oh I know nimrod...I was being sarcastic.

People that ask such questions seem to think there are only consequences to taking propecia.....but there are also major consequences to not take propecia! The major side-effect if you dont take propecia is increasing your chance of being bald.

When someone states they are not going to take it, they may not realize it, but they are also basically saying "I've decided I am going to be balder and lose more hair at a faster rate".

I find it odd people have a problem doing something "for the rest of their lives". Heck many people take a medication "for the rest of their lives" if they have high blood pressure, acid reflux, migraine headaches, arthritis, ect...

We have to exercise, eat right....do a lot of things "the rest of our lives" to receive a certain benefit.

Any major side effects of propecia have been shown in study after study to only affect a very small minority of over-all large amount of patients that take it. Plus almost every highly respected hair transplant doctor suggests their patients take it to prevent or greatly slowdown further hairloss.

If a patient just gets a hair transplant and doesnt take the meds, it's like he is fighting the hairloss battle with one hand tied behind his back. The transplant and the meds are very important almost co-equal tools in preventing future baldness.

Again it boils down to 2EachHisOwn....knowing that taking or not taking it may have consequences.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

rephrased:

So you are going to "not be bald" for the next 30 years?

What when you are 55-60 years old you still want hair?

Nope, read some studies and veteran users comments, doctors also; Fin wont save you from being bald. It SAVES time. It slows down the hair loss. In first 5,6 years it may totally stop it, but you will continue to lose hair and every year will have less hair then before. Fin slows it down, but the process continues.

Fin wont save you from being bald.

It SAVES time. .

Exactly....and that's what much of the medical industry does.

They "buy time" for patients with various ailments.

Like with LASIK eye surgery the eye continues to change after surgery,

so the results may not be permanent but the patient "buys some time"

and can have years of great vision.

People take all kinds of meds and are able to put off surgery...they "buy time".

Time is everything.....time is our life.

Propecia "buys time" slows hairloss for possibly years/decades.

If you are not on propecia you are "not buying time".

Thus will most likely lose more hair at a more rapid pace.

I honestly feel if I had not started on propecia in my 30's

I would be MUCH balder today and need much more surgery.

Taking the meds may have consequences,

But not taking the meds also has major balding consequences.

Exactly....and that's what much of the medical industry does.

They "buy time" for patients with various ailments.

and can have years of great vision.

People take all kinds of meds and are able to put off surgery...they "buy time".

Time is everything.....time is our life.

Propecia "buys time" slows hairloss for possibly years/decades.

If you are not on propecia you are "not buying time".

Thus will most likely lose more hair at a more rapid pace.

I honestly feel if I had not started on propecia in my 30's

I would be MUCH balder today and need much more surgery.

Taking the meds may have consequences,

But not taking the meds also has major balding consequences.

That is not what i meant.

Point is that Fin wont make your goal achievable: you wont save your hair.

You will still go bald, only losing smaller amount of hair. Process is not halted, it is slowed down. Your hair isnt geting better, its getting worse.

Actually that is not really true. LASIK reshapes the cornea of the eye effectively correcting the vision problem. If the patient's vision is stable at the time of surgery then it will more than likely be permanent. I had LASIk surgery performed 16 years ago and I am still 20/20 from a -8/-9.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

That is not what i meant.

Point is that Fin wont make your goal achievable: you wont save your hair.

You will still go bald, only losing smaller amount of hair. Process is not halted, it is slowed down. Your hair isnt geting better, its getting worse.

Yes propecia does make my goal achievable.

I may live 70 years....

If propecia allows me to have more hair for 20-25 more

years than I would have without it I have achieved my goal.

Like I said much of medicine is about allowing a patient to "manage a disease" or condition.

Arthritis is not cureable....but with meds it can be slowed down and managed to some degree. Many times the patient can enjoy a better quality of life using the meds that are not a cure, the patient isn't "getting better", the Arthritis is progressing, but the med may slow down the progression. That's a win!

Same thing with propecia....no one states propecia cures male-pattern-baldness, but to a large amount of balding patients "slowing down" male pattern baldness for years, if not decades is indeed a very significant "win".

Actually that is not really true. LASIK reshapes the cornea of the eye effectively correcting the vision problem. If the patient's vision is stable at the time of surgery then it will more than likely be permanent. I had LASIk surgery performed 16 years ago and I am still 20/20 from a -8/-9.

How permanent is LASIK surgery?

LASIK surgery is permanent. However, the eye continues to change after surgery, so the results may not be permanent. Once the general improvement has been established, the eyes unfortunately continue to regress. Although the surgery to reshape the corneal tissue is permanent, the eye continues to change over time. Aging affects most people's sight detrimentally as they get older. Over the age of 40, presbyopia or farsightedness, is common. It is caused by ciliary muscle weakness and the eye's crystalline lens becoming less flexible. Many people who never needed glasses before suddenly find they need reading glasses for fine print. This regression continues naturally, hence the need for most people sooner or later to need reading glasses, even after LASIK surgery.

How Permanent is LASIK Surgery?

What is the evidence that fin stops after 5-6 years? Anecdotal? It does for some, it doesn't for others.

I have a very satisfying head of hair and a very satisfying ability to obtain and maintain and erection.

It's been 3 years and 3 months so far, my time could run out of course but for now I'm very happy with it.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

LASIK corrects people with Myopia (nearsighted). When you're talking about the eye degrading because of aging and needing reading glasses, that's hyperopia (farsighted). I should always be 20/20 because the LASIK corrected my Myopia. However, I could become farsighted over time.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I should always be 20/20 because the LASIK corrected my Myopia.

I certainly hope that you will always be 20/20.....good luck.

I always knew I would, at some stage, either want or need more HT surgery and this consideration was always a vital part of the planning process with Dr Feller for the long term and we discussed this at length. This is one of the reasons I felt so comfortable with Dr Feller, as we planned together for the long term from the very start when I first met him in person in London. But ultimately, I have responded well to meds, so I unlikely NEED a hair HT for the next 10-15 years, if at all! (obviously I've got a bit of 'hair greed' so am getting some more work done anyway, but hey, free country... and I know the process well now) I have always planned for the future from the outset and can not thank Dr Feller enough for his guidance - in addition to my own research of course. Moreover, who knows what else will also be out there for us hair loss sufferers in 15 years. I have confidence in finasteride regardless of what a few say about its effectiveness over time. I recently saw this article on Dr Bernstein's site:

10-Year Finasteride Study: First to Investigate Long-Term Effects and Safety | Bernstein Medical - Center for Hair Restoration

Sorry it took me so long to update you all! Thanks for all the supportive posts, and again; I have no regrets at all, I am only planning now for the future and enjoying my hair. :)

Me too Shampoo! Pre-LASIK I was in bad shape and virtually helpless without glasses. Having the surgery so long ago felt risky at the time, but I did go with one of the top guys in the field. Unfortunately I did not do the same with my first HT.

Nimrod, sorry to hijack your thread. Enjoy your new hair!

Me too Shampoo! Pre-LASIK I was in bad shape and virtually helpless without glasses. Having the surgery so long ago felt risky at the time, but I did go with one of the top guys in the field. !

hairthere....I hope in the next year or so to get Crystalens lense replacement which in my mind is permanent.

Sorry to hear your first HT experience did not go well, but you found Dr. Feller which is a blessing.

• 1 year later...

I'm 3 days post op with dr. Feller. I had a wonderful experience both with dr. Feller and his staff. I'm still very early on but so far so good. Thank god. Some, for whatever reason, may have a different experience. I, however, only have good things to say. I hope 6-8 months from now I can report that this experience has changed my life in an amazing way. Will report soon. Thanks dr. Feller and staff