Can beta carotene cause baldness?

olmert

I know vitamin A can cause baldness. My question is whether beta carotene can do the same. Beta carotene is converted by the body into vitamin A.

I have been taking a lot of beta carotene pills in order to get an orange glow. I do this because I wear a lot of sunscreen and would otherwise be very pale. The self tanning lotions have left me looking spotty, so I gave up on them.

While I've also read that Vitamin A (in excessive amounts) can cause hair loss, most of the data on the subject is over a decade old and it seems like general Dermatological issues are more of a concern.

Furthermore, like you stated earlier, although beta carotene is converted into Vitamin A in the body, research indicates that conversion of beta carotene to "retinoids" (Vitamin A stores in the body) is selective and, therefore, cannot cause Vitamin A toxicity (Hypervitaminosis A). What's more, because beta carotene is crucial in human visual pathways and visual acuity, it's probably not advantageous to excessively limit beta carotene from your diet.

Altogether, beta carotene cannot cause hair loss and foods containing beta carotene (carrots, leafy vegetables, etc) should not be limited from the body. However, keep in mind that excessive amounts of Vitamin A (in levels beyond the metabolic capabilities of the human liver) can, allegedly, cause Dermatological issues, including hair loss. Because of this, any type of Vitamin A regimen or restriction should be reviewed by a trusted physician.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I'm going much more extreme than avoiding carrots. I've been swallowing 100,000 IU's per day of beta carotene supplements. It is the only way to get a little color on my face, while I deprive it of all UV rays.

• 3 years later...

hello there. I also have read about on the following that you've mentioned:beta carotene offers color on the skin without the need for harmful tanning, the possibility that vitamin a causes baldness.

I'm really curious to hear about your experience with beta carotene. it sounded like you indeed get color from supplementing beta carotene? how are you looking exactly? and have you experienced any hair loss thus far? 100000 iu is 60 mg roughly of beta carotene, which is what I'm going to be taking daily.

Thank you!

I gave up on it. I hadn't taken enough of it to get any color yet, and then I saw a picture of someone who was doing it. He didn't look tan. He looked sickly orange.

Then I tried an expensive liquid bronzer. It looked so phony that I stopped it quickly.

I might try a powder bronzer.

I gave up on it. I hadn't taken enough of it to get any color yet, and then I saw a picture of someone who was doing it. He didn't look tan. He looked sickly orange.

Then I tried an expensive liquid bronzer. It looked so phony that I stopped it quickly.

I might try a powder bronzer.

I appreciate the response.