Why Follicular Unit Extraction Has Become Increasingly Popular

FUE has advanced, but so has FUT/FUSSFUE is the evolution of the old plug transplants, it is not THE advanced technique.  It is not always better but can be in some situations, the same is true for strip.  It takes a skilled surgeon and team for EITHER procedure.  It takes research and disclosure from clinics to potential patients to educate them of the benefits vs the downfall of EITHER.  I have been a part of this community and have witnessed the evolution first hand.  Facts are facts..... both create scars..... neither cure balding..... both can effectively move hair and in skills hands provide a natural restoration.  Neither are perfect.

2 hours ago, simrangoyal said:

FUE is an advanced method of hair transplant as compared to other techniques. if you don't know about hair transplant then must-read some blogs so that you can get enough knowledge. Clinics and doctors cant do any thing if you are using old technology.

Simrangoyal, I am Clinical Supervisor for Dr. Jerry Cooley.  I have also had the honor to be the past chair and the Forum (ISHRS publication former editor for the Assistants Corner). I have been a part of this forum since it's beginning.  I am fairly knowledgeable having been in this field for 20 years, about either.   Dr. Cooley does not use old techniques.  We do both procedures as do many other surgeons; using the latest technology available.  Sometimes what is promoted as the latest greatest but in reality is the opposite.  Research is key to finding the truth....... 

• Like 1

Ailene Russell, NCMA

Clinical Supervisor for Dr. Jerry Cooley

Carolina Dermatology Haircenter

Charlotte, NC

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/13/2019 at 11:53 PM, simrangoyal said:

FUE is an advanced method of hair transplant as compared to other techniques. if you don't know about hair transplant then must-read some blogs so that you can get enough knowledge. Clinics and doctors cant do any thing if you are using old technology.

Well this is just completely incorrect, you seem like you don't know what you are talking about.

On 9/17/2013 at 5:06 AM, s2thoudriver said:

Well said CaddyTad77

In my opinion (and it is just an opinion), FUT has had it's day. It was the best method at the time but things have moved on so far with FUE now, it's simply not required.

If there was a compelling case to continue with FUT (other than surgens not being prepared to invest time and tools to become the best FUE and because FUT is less labour intencive for the surgeon), then why have so many surgeons stopped performing it over the last 4-5 years and now only do FUE?? Kind of speaks volumes to me.

The old "you get more grafts from FUT than you do with FUE" statement makes no sense whatsoever... you only have the same amount of available grafts in your head for harvesting regardless of extraction method.

Those with a thin donor area who suggest having FUT first then doing FUE afterwards to save thinning out run the risk of not being able to have FUE at a later date after FUT due to a stretched scar being visible, hence can't thin out the donor area with FUE.

As i always say, there have been some stellar FUT results over the years, especially for large sessions, but things have moved on now.

Rob

Rob,

As you said this is your opinion and is in no way based on practical experience or fact.  I have pointed out over and over BOTH FUT AND FUE ARE GOOD PROCEDURES IN THE HANDS OF THE RIGHT SURGEON AND TEAM.  

BUT.... SOME OF YOUR OPINION IS JUST BASICALLY INCORRECT or perhaps you do not understand the basics.  You are correct in saying there is only a certain number of grafts that can be harvested regardless of the method.  You are incorrect in saying you can harvest equal amounts without consequence.  

In either method (being redundant here) you have plus and minus to think through.  If you have dark hair and very white skin, donor density, skin laxity (for FUT).  But if FUE is done and over harvested you are left with diffusely thin donor that nothing can really fix.  If an FUT is done and the donor scar is almost undetectable (which is the case in most surgeries using good techniques, a small FUE can be done and is always offered to anyone doing FUT.  A stretched scar can occur but is not the standard, it is the exception AND is the reason it is REASONABLE to do FUT first if trying to maximize graft harvesting and to complete with FUE.

Dr. Cooley does both methods and does both with success.  But either can have limitations.  FUT is not the older procedure, FUE is not the newer.  FUE is, in FACT, the older, the old plug technique refined.  That is not my opinion, it is fact.  BUT FUT has also evolved and the old short wide scars or stacked scars are not something that good surgeons now create.  Closure technique revolutionized with trico closures in the late 90's early 2000's.  No one now uses multi -blades.  Suture material has changed, enzymes are used to enhance laxity and much much more.

FUE if great for someone who is on medications, does not have extensive loss and family history is not strong for NW 6-7.  The patient is well educated on what can occur without meds, pattern of loss and other facts.  I worry about some of the very large FUE surgeries done going into the areas of the scalp deemed unstable..... what then, what if the FUE graft is taken from areas susceptable to DUT/ AGA no meds are given or explored, donor is tapped out and loss occurs.  I can tell you.  In the old days of plugs, no one discussed future loss, hair was moved successfully within native hair and then... 10 years and BOOM... big white round scars.  Now, with current FUE the scars would be small BUT THEY ARE STILL JUST AS MUCH A SCAR AS AN FUT SCAR.

I repeat both are good procedures in the right scenario.  RESEARCH IS THE KEY PEOPLE.  

Below is a prime example.  This patient went somewhere else and had FUE, yes I know where and yes the doc is well known.  He came to us with more loss (he was not on meds) and afraid he would have more diffuse thinning with additional FUE.  If you look closely you will see Dr. Cooley's FUT scar, which if there was not diffuse thinning would never be visible. 

With FUE you have to shave the donor, with FUT that is not necessary.  BOTH will give you hair where you desire it!  But BOTH create scars.  With FUE you are able to return to the gym faster because there are no sutures.  These are facts, not opinion.  I like both and will discuss both factually.  Remember this, bad news travels faster than good news.  So if someone is unhappy they tell everyone, if they are happy they tell a select few.

155534769_fuefut-Copy.thumb.jpg.ac57e69d8b406fce7be565d934834c85.jpg

Ailene Russell, NCMA

Charlotte, NC

1 hour ago, arussell said:

Rob,

As you said this is your opinion and is in no way based on practical experience or fact.  I have pointed out over and over BOTH FUT AND FUE ARE GOOD PROCEDURES IN THE HANDS OF THE RIGHT SURGEON AND TEAM.  

BUT.... SOME OF YOUR OPINION IS JUST BASICALLY INCORRECT or perhaps you do not understand the basics.  You are correct in saying there is only a certain number of grafts that can be harvested regardless of the method.  You are incorrect in saying you can harvest equal amounts without consequence.  

In either method (being redundant here) you have plus and minus to think through.  If you have dark hair and very white skin, donor density, skin laxity (for FUT).  But if FUE is done and over harvested you are left with diffusely thin donor that nothing can really fix.  If an FUT is done and the donor scar is almost undetectable (which is the case in most surgeries using good techniques, a small FUE can be done and is always offered to anyone doing FUT.  A stretched scar can occur but is not the standard, it is the exception AND is the reason it is REASONABLE to do FUT first if trying to maximize graft harvesting and to complete with FUE.

Dr. Cooley does both methods and does both with success.  But either can have limitations.  FUT is not the older procedure, FUE is not the newer.  FUE is, in FACT, the older, the old plug technique refined.  That is not my opinion, it is fact.  BUT FUT has also evolved and the old short wide scars or stacked scars are not something that good surgeons now create.  Closure technique revolutionized with trico closures in the late 90's early 2000's.  No one now uses multi -blades.  Suture material has changed, enzymes are used to enhance laxity and much much more.

FUE if great for someone who is on medications, does not have extensive loss and family history is not strong for NW 6-7.  The patient is well educated on what can occur without meds, pattern of loss and other facts.  I worry about some of the very large FUE surgeries done going into the areas of the scalp deemed unstable..... what then, what if the FUE graft is taken from areas susceptable to DUT/ AGA no meds are given or explored, donor is tapped out and loss occurs.  I can tell you.  In the old days of plugs, no one discussed future loss, hair was moved successfully within native hair and then... 10 years and BOOM... big white round scars.  Now, with current FUE the scars would be small BUT THEY ARE STILL JUST AS MUCH A SCAR AS AN FUT SCAR.

I repeat both are good procedures in the right scenario.  RESEARCH IS THE KEY PEOPLE.  

Below is a prime example.  This patient went somewhere else and had FUE, yes I know where and yes the doc is well known.  He came to us with more loss (he was not on meds) and afraid he would have more diffuse thinning with additional FUE.  If you look closely you will see Dr. Cooley's FUT scar, which if there was not diffuse thinning would never be visible. 

With FUE you have to shave the donor, with FUT that is not necessary.  BOTH will give you hair where you desire it!  But BOTH create scars.  With FUE you are able to return to the gym faster because there are no sutures.  These are facts, not opinion.  I like both and will discuss both factually.  Remember this, bad news travels faster than good news.  So if someone is unhappy they tell everyone, if they are happy they tell a select few.

Great post. I have always enjoyed your input on this topic -- and clearly you guys (Dr. Cooley and team) are doing an excellent job with both methods and have the wherewithal to make these types of assessments. Thank you for sharing. I hope you will continue to do so. 

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

11 hours ago, arussell said:

Rob,

Aah, I call it the dreaded fue halo.  It really makes folks think a person has alopecia areata or something.  Well from the comments received, asked to get blood tests and so forth.  But when surgery is done right and ethically, a person doesn’t have to suffer.  These issues cause harm and defeat the purpose of getting high quality fade haircuts.  In fact, the whole goal to get fue was to get high quality fade haircuts but it does impact them greatly.  I like the good educational posts coming from Dr Cooley and Dr Bloxham.  Thank you for being honest.

The most painful thing is to have a patient continue to suffer and act like you are doing them a big favor or trying to help them somehow when some unknown damage is caused to the scalp.  Some surgeons seem to conceal knowledge of the extent of damage only to themselves and attempt to get patients to sign here and there for so called help/assistance. The many years of continued suffering a patient goes through is brutal.  

I’d like to add that if surgeons are not experienced at the time of surgery then they should never attempt the surgery or attempt any repairs that could be detrimental to a patient.  Trying to achieve a showcase patient result can be extremely damaging to a patient with the amounts of density attempted in recipient zones.  Never ever let a tech/nurse learn on a patient or teach them during the procedure by saying you have to do it like this or that during extractions.  

Dr Cooley and Dr Bloxham are doctors id like to meet when I get a chance.  Knowledge is power and trying to get a handle of everything and it may really  help formulate a decision.  

Edited by Sean

• 2 weeks later...

FUE Hair Transplantation has become increasingly popular, because in this method we can achieve excellent and assured results in order to restore hair on bald area. FUE is most authentic and convenient technique, providing effective results without any pain, suture or scar.

Etika please read my prior posts.  FUE is promoted in a way that is not always full disclosure by some clinics.  BOTH harvesting methods "provide excellent and assured results".  Both have advantages and disadvantages as I have discussed at length.  To say FUE is the only method to provide this is not only incorrect it does patients a disservice in not allowing them to choose what is the best method for them. We do both, and achieve equally good results from either.

Ailene Russell, NCMA

Charlotte, NC

Get natural hair with an FUE hair transplantation. No pain during or after the treatment so you can return home just after the treatment. FUE hair transplant is one time and life-changing treatment for people suffering from hair loss and baldness problems. Avail advanced FUE Hair Transplant at an affordable cost. 

3 minutes ago, haircrown123 said:

Get natural hair with an FUE hair transplantation. No pain during or after the treatment so you can return home just after the treatment. FUE hair transplant is one time and life-changing treatment for people suffering from hair loss and baldness problems. Avail advanced FUE Hair Transplant at an affordable cost. 

That's not true, I know people who have had very sore heads after both surgeries, and FUE can be considerably more expensive. 

haircrown123 this response is tedious at best.  The type of harvesting is not what achieves natural results.  Going to a doctor who has artistic talent and great technique is what gives you that result.  To imply that with any surgery there is not pain is a disservice.  In any surgery you have to have locals administered which is uncomfortable and no one can know any patients threshold for pain.  Incisions are made in the recipient area as well as harvesting regardless of the harvesting method.  This sounds like pure advertising with less than optimal disclosure......  

Ailene Russell, NCMA

Charlotte, NC

FUE  Hair transplant cost depends on graft requirement to conceal baldness. Prices are negotiable and may vary due to different offers available in your locality. Get answers to your all queries on hair problems, treatment and hair transplant cost in from highly professional experts available in a clinic in your city.

In FUE Hair Transplant, hair follicle as grafts are extracted from the donor area. So, FUE allows the donor area to retail fullness. It is less invasive and can be done in one sitting with quicker recovery time in just a few days. Hence it is highly recommended and most reliable treatment for hair loss.

10 minutes ago, Etika said:

In FUE Hair Transplant, hair follicle as grafts are extracted from the donor area. So, FUE allows the donor area to retail fullness. It is less invasive and can be done in one sitting with quicker recovery time in just a few days. Hence it is highly recommended and most reliable treatment for hair loss.

The most reliable treatment for hair loss is the treatment that gives you the best results. FUT typically gives a better yield, but it is all dependent on the surgeon. Nothing that you are saying has any backing.

@Etika and @haircrown123,

Well for starters both of you have the same profile picture or variation of it anyway which I’m assuming therefore it is a hair transplant clinic that you must represent. Both of you seem to be promoting the benefits of FUE without actually discussing it like educated individuals.  FUE certainly has its advantages  but both of you sound like talking billboards  for the procedure and likely your clinic. 

Since you clearly are not aware of the policies, if you do represent a hair transplant clinic, you are required to disclose your affiliation in your forum signature.  To do this, you’ll have to go under your account settings or profile settings. If you need specific instructions, I can ask our forum co-moderator Melvin  to assist. 

But please keep in mind that this discussion form is not a place to promote, it is a place to discuss the pros and cons of various techniques. Frankly, those who sound like walking advertisements only serve to make their clinic look uneducated.   So instead of trying to pretend that FUE is  only way and there are no potential problems or pitfalls with it, why I tnot discuss the actual procedure like an educated individual like everybody else.  

Best regards,

Bill

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
20 hours ago, Swan said:

Hair transplant by FUE (3700) by micromotor with Dr Ozlem BICER

Great Doctor and Great team,

I wanted to share my experience here...to thank Dr BICER and to help others who are in my situation

:)

I wanted to write this review to thank Dr BICER on the great work; as I am very satisfied with the experience and I am having very good results of my hair transplant

I am a European banker in my 40s, and I wanted to do a hair transplant due to hair loss issues.

I needed it for my career and for me personally.

My wife ( a professional and detail oriented engineer) did a very intensive search for the Best Doctors in Turkey as my health and safety comes first .(thank you)

The criteria’s to select Dr Bicer were:

Professional Doctor

Licenced doctor

Affiliated Doctor

Doctor Participating in Forums

Member Doctor in associations

International Doctor

Professional experience dedicated to the profession of Hair Transplant

Human approach and dedicating appropriate time

Comfortable Doctor that gives Trust

Dedicated Doctor to her patient

One patient per day- not a factory

Good and positive International Review in different forums

The operation took one full day where I was the only patient that, all went as planned, easy with no complications, no pain at all, ( just some discomfort for a couple of minutes) where Dr Bicer controlled and ensured that all is going well and did the important parts herself.

Some discomfort to sleep for the first few days( no pain) and first results start to show in a couple of weeks

I am happy with the results and I recommend only to do a hair transplant with a very good doctor.

Thank you again Doctor BICER133433850_DrBICER2.jpg.4ac3d67b1c7bc4007575ee9865027067.jpg1663732764_DrBICER.jpg.a95ff1a0a60116de8dfb97e5f3864019.jpg

youre the biggest shill ever. you literally polluted unrelated threads with your shitty story. reported for moderation

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Unique heart-shaped fibers lock onto lashes to create longer, curled effect Contains Panthenol (Vitamin B) to help nourish and moisturize lashes over time Flexible, elastic formula to avoid clumping Long-wearing formula Create even more drama: Apply a light dusting of High Definition Setting Powder to lashes, then a thin coat of mascara. Repeat until you build your desired lash look. Why perfect? Because anything else is boring Our top selling, long wear eyeliner formula provides a smooth and stress-free application Pair with any Cosmetics eye shadow or wear along to create a statement. You can create a fancy look with these few products. These products are available at Online Cosmetic Store at the most reasonable rates and better quality.