Why Follicular Unit Extraction Has Become Increasingly Popular

Eugene,

That's far from new and it is a version of FUE, in fact there's not enough variation in the technique to call it something different. However many clinics do call variations of FUE a whole new technique which I don't understand, just because they use different tools or transplant the hair somewhat differently such as using an implanter pen. For example a particular doctor that we the longer discuss on this forum uses a technique called CIT which stands for his last name.isolation technique. This is a variation on the term follicular isolation technique or FIT which is another name for FUE.

I'm not saying that the particular technique that you mention is not a good one, only that it is not different enough from FUE to call it a new name. I really think this is a bad marketing practice when clinics do this.

So same should be noted for mFUT v FUT as in essence its the same but instead of doing a big cut mFUE is the same only smaller cuts but more of them.

Bill is this not also bad marketing? Because I see this as the same as FUT but smaller scars but more of them spaced out over the donor.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

FUT and FUE is two popular method both will be used in giving best results, and in some cases according to patients scalp condition method is used. People generally prefer FUE as it is with less risk and scars. But with advance techniques FUT is also successful in giving results with minimum scars.

• 7 months later...
Guest austin123

FUE and FUT two type of hair transplant are acceptable by all among the people all over the world.

FUE is follicular unit extraction method.

FUT is Follicular unit transplant method.

But FUE method is famous as compare to the FUT method. I think it is because FUE method is one of the latest method of hair transplant and it is painless and scarless as compare to the other hair transplant method (FUT).

FUE results are better as compare to FUT hair transplant method.

• 2 weeks later...

I am of the opinion that FUE has become more popular because it is becoming perfected, and more studied. The first time I heard of it was 2007, which was 10 years ago. In these last 10 years we have seen more successful FUE results coming out, as well as more doctors researching, evolving, and perfecting the technique, thus better results. However, like anything, if one is considering FUE, it is pertinent to research and do your due diligence before jumping into a surgery.

Happy Patient's Blog

Guest austin123

No doubt FUE hair transplant is famous in all over the world as well as in India. I think popularity of FUE hair transplant is due to its quick results and scar less procedure. Because in FUT hair transplant a strip of hair is cut from backside of your head and than hair roots are implanted on the bald area. But in this procedure a scar leaves behind that looks ugly. Here in India cost of hair transplant is cheapest as compare to the other countries in the world. you can get FUE hair transplant in Chennai in lowest cost and it is affordable for any one who is looking for FUE hair transplant.

• 4 weeks later...

Guys this has been a topic of discussion for YEARS! And rightly so! It is important. But lets just say that it doesn't matter what term is used to identify the type of procedure. It matter what "fits" for the patient.

The argument used to be about all the waste with FUE, but with time and better methods this has improved. The main issue that I see is that patients are not educated on the fact that regardless of FUE or FUSS/FUT there WILL be scars! One is long and narrow and the others are small and round but they are scars.

Both have excellent benefits and both have drawbacks.....

First go to an experienced surgeon........ money is important but you have to compare an apple to an apple...... and even then not a Granny Smith to a Red Delicious! You have to know what the clinic reputation is.... aside from physician results. What holding solutions, who makes incisions, who places.... and it does not have to be all the surgeon but it does matter about experience.

Experience can also be subjective. A clinic that does 5 surgeries a day cannot be compared to one that does 1 or 2.... But how long someone has been in the field and their backround are important.

Think about the big picture, future loss.... a transplant does move hair to a more desired location but it STAYS there... so thinking about the future is important because hair loss is progressive and a transplant does not stop hair loss. Medication inhibits loss but not everything works on everyone one so it is coming up with a plan with your surgeon that you are comfortable with.

A strip procedure will yield more follicular units that have a lower chance of damage for less money. There will be a scar. If the scar is something that is less than what was hoped for, a small FUE can hide it well. The scar usually will not be apparent if post op instructions are followed. Most patients can still wear fairly short hair after healing. BUT you do have restrictions about exercise that can impact the scar. and you cannot shave your head without finding the scar.

FUE generally requires shaving the donor area to do the harvesting but you don't have sutures. You do have scars, they are small white scars and this can impact future surgeries and these scars if less than what is hoped for you can't really fix. This can also diffusely thin the donor if larger procedures are done.

With EITHER method you cannot SHAVE your head without seeing a type of scar.........

4000 grafts is a good size procedure. Please so your research and get more than one opinion...... RESEARCH!!!! TAKE YOUR TIME!!!!

Ailene Russell, NCMA

Clinical Supervisor for Dr. Jerry Cooley

Carolina Dermatology Haircenter

Charlotte, NC

• 3 months later...

I had an injury on my scalp 105 days ago just above my hailine. It has become a scar now and the hair are not growing inside it. When i put my hair upwards it shows a gap between them. I wanted to know can i fet a small FUE done in that area? Will the hair grow?

Quote:

#51 Top Report Post

Old 07-18-2016, 05:32 PM

Follicular Salvation Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill - Managing Publisher View Post

Eugene,

That's far from new and it is a version of FUE, in fact there's not enough variation in the technique to call it something different. However many clinics do call variations of FUE a whole new technique which I don't understand, just because they use different tools or transplant the hair somewhat differently such as using an implanter pen. For example a particular doctor that we the longer discuss on this forum uses a technique called CIT which stands for his last name.isolation technique. This is a variation on the term follicular isolation technique or FIT which is another name for FUE.

I'm not saying that the particular technique that you mention is not a good one, only that it is not different enough from FUE to call it a new name. I really think this is a bad marketing practice when clinics do this.

So same should be noted for mFUT v FUT as in essence its the same but instead of doing a big cut mFUE is the same only smaller cuts but more of them.

Bill is this not also bad marketing? Because I see this as the same as FUT but smaller scars but more of them spaced out over the donor.

This is kind of a pet peeve of mine. FUE is not the newest latest greatest. FUE is the done the same way that old plugs were harvested. FUE is just refined and gives better results than old plugs did. As I stated above, both are good techniques. It is important for a patient to be educated about what a transplant can give them. Remember that often if a clinic only does one technique it is the only one they will discuss. All techniques in the right hands have evolved and become better and better. Just my opinion......

Ailene Russell, NCMA

Charlotte, NC

• 3 months later...

This comment is not in any way true. We do both procedures. They both provide different qualities and options.

FUE is not the newest, latest, greatest however. FUE is a refined old plug procedure. It is fantastic for guys who want that ultra short cut, or who need have small pockets of good donor available. Now done with small instruments vs the old ones of 5-6mm.

FUT has also evolved and is not the old procedure that caused bad scarring from old techniques. Now done with good technique and attention to the closure and potential scar.

FUE is not scarless and if done in areas that are not "safe: can leave tell tale signs of the harvesting. You can over harvest an area leaving a "moth eaten" look, But it heals quickly and there are not the same physical restrictions for post surgery. You do in most cases have to shave the donor area for larger sessions.

FUT causes a long linear scar that can be made to almost be undetectable with a small session of FUE. This is an efficient way to harvest larger amounts of donor without he chance of that moth eaten look. Shaving is not required for FUT.

Either will provide excellent results in a good surgeon and clinic are used.

Remember that in most cases bad news travels faster than good. People post negatives vs positives faster. Its just human nature! Both are great procedures for the right patient!

Ailene Russell, NCMA

Charlotte, NC

• 2 months later...

Either procedure’s successful outcome depends on the skill of the doctor and their surgical protocol.  Ethics is key.  Surgerical aspects should be done by surgeons only. 

If a doc puts in 5000 grafts in a small zone then that is a problem too.  

So, both surgeries have their place and one may work better vs the other depending on the physiology of the patient.  Aside from that hair types do matter.  Thicker hairs probably survive better with FUT whereas thinner hairs could die.  Lots of factors to think about.

AND if you do decide on surgery, carefully weigh each option.  At the end of the day, you do not want to be screwed to the point that you are scrambling to get repaired.  

Best of luck.

Hello,

In the modern world, hair transplantation pioneers superior approaches such as BIO-FUE and Robotic hair transplant; procedures that utilize the latest hair transplant technique known as FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) for better results.

Fue-hair-transplant.png

Edited by asrhairtransplant

• 1 month later...

Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE),is a hair transplant method in which we extracts the follicular units of hair, from the donor area of your head, one by one.
We uses a small microneedle,which punches a tiny incision around a hair follicle before extraction.
Each unit contains one to four hairs. These one to four hair groupings (called follicular unit grafts) are then transplanted into the balding areas of your head. In this method thus,there's no need for us to make a long incision in the donor area, as in the FUT procedure.
This is an ideal method of surgery for patients who like to wear their hair short. This method is also suggested for patients who have a tight scalp or have previously undergone the ‘strip’ or FUT method but with very little or no success. It involves following procedure-

First we anesthetizes the scalp,then use small microneedle to make a circular incision minimum 1mm in daimeter to isolate a graft. Then using a tweezer-like instrument by using this instrument we extract follicular unit from your donor area. Before harvesting the grafts tiny holes are made on scalp and then follicular units are placed on tiny holes.

FUE has become increasingly popular because less invasive surgery, short sessions,ideal for mustache or eyebrow replacement.

• 3 months later...

I am going to repeat what Bill said, "both have advantages and disadvantages".  FUE is not "newer", it is refined plugs.  Keyword, "REFINED".  All things evolve as time elapses and techniques are developed.  Old plug scars are not any prettier than old FUT scars.  Hair transplants evolved.  At first, the focus was to move hair; lots of hair.  FUE scars were 6mm sometimes more.  But it worked!  Linear scars and sometimes stacks of them made the donor not a pretty place..... The focus changed and docs wanted refined scars and if good technique is used this is generally what I see now.  FUE is not scarless.... it is just small round scars vs a linear one.  The big question  with FUE scars seems that the only thing you can do to disguise is micro pigmentation, but for a linear scar you can go in with FUE and very nicely make it almost disappear.  With a good doc and clinic either give good results.  There are many things that make one better than the other for a specific patient.  If a patient is young, not on meds and headed to a NW 5 /6 and above,  FUE may not be a good choice.  If the skin is very light and the hair very dark FUE scars can make the area motheaten in appearance because of the contrast.  If someone wears a short look and goes the gym daily and has less than a NW 4 then FUE might be a better choice.  Someone above said everyone has the same amount of follicles available, that is true but not all can always be harvested with good results.  You can harvest more with FUT at one time in a first session.  Dr. Cooley likes to do combination plans in a lot of patients but education on what each can provide is the real secret. below is a patient who did FUE with another clinic.  You can clearly see the motheaten appearance and lack of density in the donor. He needed another session to achieve the density he wanted. At the very bottom of the donor is our FUT scar, almost indiscernible.

scar.jpg

Ailene Russell, NCMA

Charlotte, NC

I think the reason is, it gives better results than FUT technique on average. I am not saying it is better because better is a relative term. When we compare all the results of both techniques, FUE seems to be more natural, denser overall. But there are many surgeons who are very successful with FUT type surgeries.

But when compared, I believe FUE gives the surgeon more freedom to fill the bald areas. The doctor can pick each follicle according to a schema and the rest is talent. Moreover, I don't know why but usually, when the hair grows, after a certain length, it looks unnatural if it was a FUT. Ordinary people can't see it but if you keep seeing hair, you can tell the difference. I have heard that even the most experienced doctors who have been conducting FUT for decades are now learning FUE technique. I believe the shift will be towards FUE more and more each passing year. Here is my article about FUE and why doctors are switching to it more and more each day, I believe I touched very important points.

I do not believe better results are given with FUE and certainly not more density on average.  As for hair not looking natural with FUT, if the team is highly skilled then this does not occur.  In fact, in our clinic, all FUE grafts are placed under a microscope to ensure they are true 1,2.3 etc and to trim any debris.  It is placing that can damage hair and make it look less natural.  Incisions have to be carefully made by the surgeon according to the size of the follicle and then placed by skilled placers to avoid crushing or hooking in placement.  Both FUE and FUT will give natural results using good technique.  As I pointed out above choose carefully what is in your best interest.

Ailene Russell, NCMA

Charlotte, NC

• 4 weeks later...

@arussell,

Are you saying that you believe FUE provides better results than FUSS on average?  For starters, I don’t like to say FUT because technically FUE and FUSS  our donor harvesting techniques that fall under the umbrella of FUT which is the overall procedure that includes the daughter harvesting technique and implantation process using follicular units.   But that said, I personally don’t believe that FUE provides better results than FUSS.  Instead, I feel that the results are pretty similar although FUSS has the capability of being more consistent since there is no blind dissection.  That said, I believe that FUE is more popular because today, everybody is desperately afraid of the linear star that associated with FUSS.   The thought of the scar never bothered me and still really doesn’t although I admit, now that FUE has advanced so much,   I would opt for FUE now so that my scar doesn’t stretch any further. But I probably would choose FUSS if I had to do it all over again because I had a pretty significant balding and I know that the  Way to obtain the most available donor hair is to combine both FUSS and FUE, starting with FUSS.  

I would be interested to hear more about your view on this as a well respected visual in the field. 

Best wishes,

Bill

"I think the reason is, it gives better results than FUT technique on average. I am not saying it is better because better is a relative term. When we compare all the results of both techniques, FUE seems to be more natural, denser overall. But there are many surgeons who are very successful with FUT type surgeries.

But when compared, I believe FUE gives the surgeon more freedom to fill the bald areas. The doctor can pick each follicle according to a schema and the rest is talent. Moreover, I don't know why but usually, when the hair grows, after a certain length, it looks unnatural if it was a FUT. Ordinary people can't see it but if you keep seeing hair, you can tell the difference. I have heard that even the most experienced doctors who have been conducting FUT for decades are now learning FUE technique. I believe the shift will be towards FUE more and more each passing year. Here is my article about FUE and why doctors are switching to it more and more each day, I believe I touched very important points.

I do not believe better results are given with FUE and certainly not more density on average.  As for hair not looking natural with FUT, if the team is highly skilled then this does not occur.  In fact, in our clinic, all FUE grafts are placed under a microscope to ensure they are true 1,2.3 etc and to trim any debris.  It is placing that can damage hair and make it look less natural.  Incisions have to be carefully made by the surgeon according to the size of the follicle and then placed by skilled placers to avoid crushing or hooking in placement.  Both FUE and FUT will give natural results using good technique.  As I pointed out above choose carefully what is in your best interest.
"

Bill the above words are the quote that I was disputing with the last paragraph.  I disagree with this statement totally.  I do not think results are superior with FUE as I said.  Both have advantages and disadvantages.  I hate for one to be promoted as the end all of end alls.  The fear of the linear scar is from OLD scars or clinics that have not used the newer better methods of closure.  BOTH leave scars and the biggest issues I am afraid we will face in the future from FUE is over harvesting, diffuse thinning and just by nature of diffuse thinning fewer available donor grafts to transplant.  I have seen quite a few young patients who have done large FUE left with bad moth eaten looks in their donor and not a lot of great options for repair......   Results are pretty similar with the same graft count.  But we still dissect under a scope even the FUE so they would all look natural......

Ailene Russell, NCMA

Charlotte, NC

On 2/1/2019 at 1:58 AM, simrangoyal said:

FUE is the best hair transplant method. FUE hair Transplant is painless or less pain, after hair transplant, the result will be perfect and natural, It is a reason of popularity of FUE Hair Transplant.

FUE is best for some situations, not all.  All of this has been gone over again and again.  Both have advantages and disadvantages.  FUE does not give perfect more natural results.  That is the skill of the surgeon and the clinic.  Both can give great results if the patient makes a decision based on fact not on what someone is telling him.  Neither are painless that will depend on the individual patient.  Nothing is perfect!  

Ailene Russell, NCMA

Charlotte, NC

@arussell,

OK, I completely misunderstood.  I think because the initial text was large, I assumed that you were sharing your point of you and then when I saw the text below it in small print that seem to contradict it, I was just confused altogether. I thought maybe that was your forum signature  but the information placed there just wasn’t updated.   But thanks for clarifying your stance, I think what you’re saying makes perfect sense. I do believe FUE is ideal under some circumstances  and I agree that it is not superior to FUSS in the results it produces.  

My opinion, the only real benefit to FUE is the lack of linear scar  associated with the procedure and the fact that healing time is reduced.  

Best wishes,

Bill

On 2/5/2019 at 12:03 AM, arussell said:

FUE is best for some situations, not all.  All of this has been gone over again and again.  Both have advantages and disadvantages.  FUE does not give perfect more natural results.  That is the skill of the surgeon and the clinic.  Both can give great results if the patient makes a decision based on fact not on what someone is telling him.  Neither are painless that will depend on the individual patient.  Nothing is perfect!  

FUE is an advanced method of hair transplant as compared to other techniques. if you don't know about hair transplant then must-read some blogs so that you can get enough knowledge. Clinics and doctors cant do any thing if you are using old technology.