How many grefts do I need do you think?

Hi I'm a 23 years old guy and I've been losing my hair for almost 6 years.My hair loss is going on and my hair is thinning on top and especially on temples.I want to have an hair transplant on temples but I've no idea how many grefts required to cover up temples.İs there anybody who an tell me how many grafts are required to cover up my open area.Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by topgun1111

Hi Topgun1111,

The problem you have here is that if you fill the bald areas with the transplanted hairs from the back of your head, they will not be as susceptible to the effects of DHT as the existing native hairs you have remaining at the moment.

So, in short.. the areas could be filled, but as you continue to loose the rest of the hair though natural progression, it will create patches where the hairs were transplanted.

My suggestion (others may disagree) would be to have those area filled with medium density, then have other hairs transplanted in between your existing native hairs (often called dense packing). That way, you will not thin out too much in the non bald areas over time and should avoid the patchiness.

In total, i would say 3,500- 4000 grafts to fill the bald parts and dense pack at least the front half of the scalp. You appear to have good donor supply so it would be achievable.

2800 FUE, Istanbul

I believe the recommended course here would be to start on propecia and minoxidil and see where you are in a year or two. If it stablises and maybe regrows some hair you could go for the HT. Take the meds and start saving just incase!

I lost a lot of hair then took propecia and minoxidil since March 2010, I am now one week post op after surgery......that tends to be the path people take as without the meds your native hair will continue to fall out.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Hi Topgun1111,

The problem you have here is that if you fill the bald areas with the transplanted hairs from the back of your head, they will not be as susceptible to the effects of DHT as the existing native hairs you have remaining at the moment.

So, in short.. the areas could be filled, but as you continue to loose the rest of the hair though natural progression, it will create patches where the hairs were transplanted.

My suggestion (others may disagree) would be to have those area filled with medium density, then have other hairs transplanted in between your existing native hairs (often called dense packing). That way, you will not thin out too much in the non bald areas over time and should avoid the patchiness.

In total, i would say 3,500- 4000 grafts to fill the bald parts and dense pack at least the front half of the scalp. You appear to have good donor supply so it would be achievable.

Hi s2thoudriver, Thank you very much for your detailed reply.

I think you are right.What you said seems very logical and possible to me.Here I draw some lines on my head https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-1fUqmNVhV8s/UBvrQm_MWsI/AAAAAAAAAB0/mqmU8-JAJjU/s572/hairloss.JPG

red - I will lose hairs in this area very soon (hair loss on left temple %70 slowed but right one continues rapidly)

green - there is slow thinning this area and lose it in several years

blue - I've never noticed any hair loss in this area,may be there is but I feel that they are very strong.

As you said filling the red areas with medium density and thicken the green area seems very logical.But I've heard some guys who lost their existing hair during thickening.I'm worried that this may happen to me and make things worse for me.Fortunately there isnt full baldness in my familly, at least hairs in the back of head are very durable and never falls out in any member of the family.

I'll look for a good surgeon in Turkey.I cant bear to be a bald man in the rest of my life.

I believe the recommended course here would be to start on propecia and minoxidil and see where you are in a year or two. If it stablises and maybe regrows some hair you could go for the HT. Take the meds and start saving just incase!

I lost a lot of hair then took propecia and minoxidil since March 2010, I am now one week post op after surgery......that tends to be the path people take as without the meds your native hair will continue to fall out.

Hi TommyLucchese I hope your transplant will successful .I thought about using medicines that you recommended but I figured out that they are temporary solutions.One of my friends used them but they couldnt stop hair loss.When you give up using them, your hair begins to fall out again.I need a permanent solution.As long as I use medicines, I'll always remember my ugly head and be worried about it.I know I cant stop it so trying to delay it is very tiring and stressful for me.

3500ish in the hands of the right doctor I think would really improve things. I would check out H&W in Canada. They seem to do really well with cases like yours.

I am looking for a good surgeon too.I dont want to make a mistake because I saw lots of ht disasters so far and I dont want to be one of them.

Hi TommyLucchese I hope your transplant will successful .I thought about using medicines that you recommended but I figured out that they are temporary solutions.One of my friends used them but they couldnt stop hair loss.When you give up using them, your hair begins to fall out again.I need a permanent solution.As long as I use medicines, I'll always remember my ugly head and be worried about it.I know I cant stop it so trying to delay it is very tiring and stressful for me.

Thanks, time will tell!

Well the answer is to take the meds for as long as they work. If they don't stop working for you then you are sorted! I've seen people who post on here that have been taken them for 10-15 years and it still works great for them, I guess it's all down to individuals. Worth giving it a try though at least I think. Your choice though of course...

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Hi Topgun1111

You may have some temporary loss of native hairs in the recipient area when the donor hairs are transplanted due to the shock. However, this should be temporary and any good HT surgeon will make sure that the native follicles are not damaged when the new ones are put in.

I had dense packing in what you label your green area and don't seem to have suffered any shock loss. The surgeon did warn me about it and that i was at slightly higher risk of it as they were having to work through longer hair on the top (i didn't want to buzz cut my hair), but thankfully, due to their skill and attention it all seems fine.

Luckily for you, your hair is already short, so another bit shorter would be no trouble for you.

If you look at my blogsite (i can email you the url if you like), you can see in the transplant and post op pictures where the dense packing has been done.

Thanks

Rob

2800 FUE, Istanbul

At 23 you're too early to get a HT.

The one thing you have going for you is a good shaped head that can pull off the shaved/short look.

If you havent done so already then try Rogaine Foam. Apply it at night. I reckon it could work well in maintaining what you've got.

Then there's finasteride to consider. You could be one of the lucky ones who gets no side effects.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

At 23 you're too early to get a HT.

The one thing you have going for you is a good shaped head that can pull off the shaved/short look.

If you havent done so already then try Rogaine Foam. Apply it at night. I reckon it could work well in maintaining what you've got.

Then there's finasteride to consider. You could be one of the lucky ones who gets no side effects.

hi 1978matt thanks for comment

I've never used Rogaine or any other medicine.İnstead exactly as you said I cut my hair very short #1 #2 and thanks to this I preserve my hair as it is, no falling out.Whener I let it grow, it starts falling out again.I' have a good shaped head so no problem for now.When I get my hairline back I'll feel relieved.medicines are expensive and temporary solutions but I might think about using them

hi 1978matt thanks for comment

I've never used Rogaine or any other medicine.İnstead exactly as you said I cut my hair very short #1 #2 and thanks to this I preserve my hair as it is, no falling out.Whener I let it grow, it starts falling out again.I' have a good shaped head so no problem for now.When I get my hairline back I'll feel relieved.medicines are expensive and temporary solutions but I might think about using them

I was sceptical about Rogaine until I tried it. It really does make a difference for about 60% of people who use it.

You should be able to get Kirkland Generic Foam from Ebay for about EUR12 a can. I just ordered 3 cans myself!

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day