FUE vs FUT

2hillpark

Is it possible to restore a hairline using only FUE.

I keep getting told that to restore a hairline you must have a FUT transplant and that FUE is more for thikening up as opposed to creating a new hairline.

Just looking for some thoughts or opinions on this matter would be greatly appreiated as I normally ut my hnair with a grade 3 around the sides and bak whih would obviously show a FUT scar very visibly.

Any thoughts would be appreiated.

You can certainly restore hairlines with FUE, in fact it's quite common. Many people decide to go with the FUE route if it's a small hairline correction or even a larger one. You can go either way, sometimes if it's a larger case it may be more efficient to use FUT. The scar from FUT shouldn't be very visible, it should only be somewhat noticeable if it's shaved to a number #2 guard or shorter.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

A frontal hairline could be restored using FUE only. Choosing a doctor with enough experience with FUE and obtains a good yield is the hard part though.

Is there any in the UK?

From my limited knowledge there are no really good hair transplant surgeons(FUT or FUE) in the UK.... You would have to travel abroad. Brussels(Bisanga), Madrid(Lorenzo), Toronto(H&W), Ottawa(Rahal), New York(Feller) etc.

I have heard good things about Dr Rogers in the UK.

I would probably be looking at 1500 - 2000 grafts.

I've heard some bad things about Dr Rogers!

You're better off jumping on the Eurostar for a 2hr train journey to Belgium. There you will find Drs Feriduni, Bisanga and De Reys.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

There really is no need to have FUT any more as FUE tools and techniques have improved so much over recent years, the results are just as good. ANyone telling you that you can only have FUT is more than likely just not experienced in the FUE technique.

I have just had 2,800 FUE to restore my hairline, fill receding areas and have some dense packing between native hairs and the other guy having a HT had 4000 FUE to his hairline and frontal 3rd- end of the mid 3rd.

The place i had my work done in Istanbul stopped doing FUT many years ago.

Besides, in your case, if it is just the hairline that needs doing/touching up, then FUE is by far the better option as you would not want an ear to ear scar on the back of your head for the sake of a small HT at the front.

2800 FUE, Istanbul

There really is no need to have FUT any more as FUE tools and techniques have improved so much over recent years, the results are just as good. ANyone telling you that you can only have FUT is more than likely just not experienced in the FUE technique.

I have just had 2,800 FUE to restore my hairline, fill receding areas and have some dense packing between native hairs and the other guy having a HT had 4000 FUE to his hairline and frontal 3rd- end of the mid 3rd.

The place i had my work done in Istanbul stopped doing FUT many years ago.

Besides, in your case, if it is just the hairline that needs doing/touching up, then FUE is by far the better option as you would not want an ear to ear scar on the back of your head for the sake of a small HT at the front.

That is all true, however the yield of FUE is still very questionable. I have seen results from some of the FUE leading hair transplant surgeons and they were not satisfactory, while some of their other FUE work was amazing. But there was a BIG contrast unlike most of their FUT work where it was consistently good save for a few cases.

There are only 2-3 Doctors I would go to for FUE with confidence in a near 100% yield.

FUT isn't the perfect technique either, it is only as good as the person getting the grafts out of the strip.

The limits for FUE and FUT are pretty much the same, i.e you shouldn't do more than 5,000 in one session (or in 1 year). Any more than that and there is too much trauma to the scalp.

2800 FUE, Istanbul

Hi MPBsucks4545, i agree, 5000 is not safe and is the upper limit. It certainly wouldn't be recommended.

The place i used did FUE on another patient and maxed out at around 4,400, they didn't want to do any more as it would be too traumatic for the scalp and would effect the results. They also don't do 2 day sessions as the scalp is already starting to heal after the first day and extending the trauma over 2 days is not good.

He is going back in another 8 months from now for his second FUE. Think i'll be joining him for some other cosmetic work when i've saved up the money!

2800 FUE, Istanbul

• 3 months later...

I now believe FUE is a far superior procedure, here is why:

-No linear scar, can cut hair shorter(grade 2 or so)

-No chance the scar can stretch

-Less invasive

-No transection of the hairs that can happen with the cutting of the strip via scalpel

-Dorment hairs are left untouched(where with FUT they can't be seen in the strip and are discarded)

-No risk of permanent numbness, tingling, pain, tightness etc

-Allows for cherry picking such as finer nape hair for hairlines, single grafts, multi-hair grafts etc

Transection of grafts occurs with FUE in fact that's what makes the difference between skilled FUE surgeons and a newcomer. The ability to know the exact depth to cut as well as following the bend of the graft underneath the dermis is a major factor in the surgery and unfortunately transection does occur from time to time.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Transection of grafts occurs with FUE in fact that's what makes the difference between skilled FUE surgeons and a newcomer. The ability to know the exact depth to cut as well as following the bend of the graft underneath the dermis is a major factor in the surgery and unfortunately transection does occur from time to time.

Oh of course :) However transection via FUT can occur through the cutting of the strip and then whilst dissection of the grafts. Transection of FUE grafts in general however is higher than FUT.

i think Dubai's surgeons best .

(promotional link removed)

Nice first post here

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon