Awesome Hairline and Crown Restoration- 10,000 grafts By Dr. Sanusi Umar

In the case description, it says "10k grafts from nape and head (scalp)," but the video description states "10k grafts from beard and head." Does this mean grafts were utilized from the scalp, nape, and beard region? If so, it does help shed some light on the large number of extractions. What's more, I can only assume the surgery took several sessions.

Is it exclusively scalp and nape hair though?

Mickey, I was wondering the same exact thing as that is what kind of threw me off just a tad as Blake mentioned in the post above that "In the case description, it says "10k grafts from nape and head (scalp)," but the video description states "10k grafts from beard and head." Does this mean grafts were utilized from the scalp, nape, and beard region? If so, it does help shed some light on the large number of extractions. What's more, I can only assume the surgery took several sessions."

But I myself couldn't find or see that in the description or may have overlooked it as I tried to find where it said that. I mean, if it is just nape and head that's excellent, but if it is with the beard hair as well, then that is even crazier cause I can't tell the difference in the video by looking at the scalp. It just flows with it.

Mickey, I was wondering the same exact thing as that is what kind of threw me off just a tad as Blake mentioned in the post above that "In the case description, it says "10k grafts from nape and head (scalp)," but the video description states "10k grafts from beard and head." Does this mean grafts were utilized from the scalp, nape, and beard region? If so, it does help shed some light on the large number of extractions. What's more, I can only assume the surgery took several sessions."

But I myself couldn't find or see that in the description or may have overlooked it as I tried to find where it said that. I mean, if it is just nape and head that's excellent, but if it is with the beard hair as well, then that is even crazier cause I can't tell the difference in the video by looking at the scalp. It just flows with it.

Hopefully Abbie will revisit the thread and clear it up. I'll send the clinic a reply in a few days if she hasn't had the opportunity to read the thread again.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Maybe it depends on the individual, but I can definitely tell the difference between my beard hair and scalp hair. Beard strands tend to be ALOT denser. It probably blends in with the scalp hair so well that the naked eye would not be able to tell. Body hair would be easier to detect in my opinion though.

I do appreciate the work Dr. Umar does for people who have had their donor hair depleted. He does work miracles in that category. People with double flap surgery, plugs, scalp reductions and several bad strip scars. Comes across as a very personable and pleasant individual too.

Thank you for posting your feedback everyone! Here are some additional details about this patient's procedure to help answer some of your questions. The 10,000 grafts were constituted of head and nape hair. About 8000 grafts were derived from the head and nape while about 2000 came from the beard.

The patient still has ample donor supply left in the event he is interested in future surgeries.

The procedure was done over 2 sessions. first session of 9000 grafts (head nape and beard) and another session of about 1000 grafts (head). In the first session 9000 grafts (head nape and beard) were transplanted. And another session of about 1000 grafts of head hair completed the procedure.

For those of you who asked for larger pictures, you can see the video that I posted initially. Here is the link once again.

Crown and Hairline Restoration With 10,000 Grafts Using FUE Hair Transplant | DermHairClinic

Edited by Abbie
slight modification to details

Representing Dr. Umar of DermHair Clinic.

Dr. Umar is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

Abbie,

Thank you for the clarification. Again, a very nice result.

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

It's amazing how much younger someone can look with a well done hairline. Take a look at this patient.

FUE-hair-restoration-070-300x166.jpg

FUE-hair-restoration-080-300x165.jpg

Dr. Umar used 10,000 grafts extracted from the nape and head using his uGraft technique in Follicular Unit Extraction. He also designed this particular hairline as the best looking match for this patient's facial structure.

The nape hair is thinner than head hair. This is what makes it ideal for hairline restoration.

Here is the link to this patient's video testimony: Crown and Hairline Restoration With 10,000 Grafts Using FUE Hair Transplant | DermHairClinic

Dr. Umar also replicated the natural angle and direction of hair in the crown region of this patient as you can see in the video.

If you are interested in learning more about FUE hair transplant procedures, here is a helpful article.

WTF is this result? Hes still BALD.

Assuming dr umar who charge an exorbitant ridiculous $8 per graft, the guy was better off throwing 80 grand and buying a maserati.

Its not awesome but abysmal.

Edited by Plausibleboss

Assuming dr umar who charge an exorbitant ridiculous $8 per graft, the guy was better off throwing 80 grand and buying a maserati.

I wouldn't say he is still 'bald' but I would say the density is definitely not there. It is more evident in the video. I know he had ALOT of real estate to cover but we are talking about 10,000 grafts here and it wasn't like he was a NW 6 or 7. Just my opinion though. The hairline looks REALLY nice though.

Sean, are you sure you only have a 2 finger forehead between the eyebrow low and the hairline? It's rare for chicks to have that small of a forehead let alone a guy! I would have guessed you had a 3. :)

Seriously? I agree, density might mot be there but he wouldn't be considered bald by many. Did you see his prior norwood class and compare the aesthetic design/placement he has now? Do you see how things flow? Do you not see a clean cut look? Find me another result with such placement for his class or even for lesser norwoods. Let me guess, another issue of concern could be nape hair. Fact is, this guy still has more hair left to add density if he wants, he can wear his hair short, he has flexibility, he has no highly placed conservative hairline and many more pluses. Most doctors charge around the same or higher but I think this guys work was discounted and not $8. If people were sitting next to him, I think other folks would not detect baldness in that man due to his transformed look and would consider him much younger than some other folk that may have had quite conservative placement.

I wouldn't say he is still 'bald' but I would say the density is definitely not there. It is more evident in the video. I know he had ALOT of real estate to cover but we are talking about 10,000 grafts here and it wasn't like he was a NW 6 or 7. Just my opinion though. The hairline looks REALLY nice though.

Sean, are you sure you only have a 2 finger forehead between the eyebrow low and the hairline? It's rare for chicks to have that small of a forehead let alone a guy! I would have guessed you had a 3. :)

Micky, lol. 2 or below 3 is dangerous, wouldn't suit me or 99% of males I think. :)

----------------———–----------------

Abbie, can you please clarify the longevity of nape hair as I have read in various areas of the forums questioning it and Dr. Umar's use of it. I guess it is best a medical professional clarifies this issue so that there isn't much confusion. Some say it will fall like DHT prone hair in the future as we age. Can Dr. Umar confirm this phenomenon by a couple of photos of the nape area of his Senior/older patients prior to extractions? Preferably zoomed in photos and zoomed out. I want to know the correct answer to this as it is being mentioned quite a bit and some were really negative about it. Has any of the doctor's patients had any issues with using it? If there is a risk of nape hair use, does Dr. Umar gaurantee his patients nape hair placement long term, if there is such an issue? I know he helps his patients no matter what but would his gaurantee still stand long term for nape hair worries long term as it will confirm his confidence in it? Please clarify as I want to know the truth and value of the nape as I got plenty of it and can possibly consider it in the future if needed. Thank you.

Like Abbie said, he must be happy with the result because he has ample donor hair for future surgeries. The patient being happy is all that counts. If I came from where he was before to a hairline like that with complete coverage, I'd be happy also.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

And this is what they call as crown restoration. They should pick some leaves from H&W, Bisnaga & few others to see what is called as crown restoration.

You seem to have some kind of vendetta against Dr. Umar?

Really? Hmm, I disagree.

Like a few others are saying, I think this patient just had a specific set of goals, and covering nearly the entire scalp was one of them. Although this is obviously going to sacrifice a bit of density for gross coverage, I still think it's a nice result and I'm sure the patient is pleased.

I'd say it's not awesome nor abysmal. The guy got coverage, just not great density. I assume that's what he wanted and that's what he got. I personally think a mega FUT session would have been a lot better for him, but he obviously didn't want that. Thankfully, Dr. Umar was available to offer the approach this patient desired. To each his own.

I would add that this guy would look 100% full (albeit a little chalky) with a couple applications of dermmatch. He now has hair to work with. So kudos to Dr. Umar and his team for that.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I can understand that sentiment. I love the hairline design and how low it is however I would expect slightly more density for 10,000 grafts on a NW 5.

Sean, I was referring to when you said something like "I have a 2 finger gap between the eyebrow low and hairline". I do know someone who does literally have a natural 2 finger forehead which may look odd to a hair obsessed individual such as myself, but most people wouldn't think anything of it. I'm quite envious actually lol.

Edited by Mickey85

I stand by my original assessment: This is a sensational FUE cosmetic result. If you showed his after photos to random people without asking them to assess them specifically as ht photos, I think most people would say, "That is a very handsome fellow." In fact, I did just that with a couple of female friends and they both said the same thing. We get so used to looking at ht photos that we can get an "ht eye" that keeps us from seeing the forest for the trees. In that regard, there have been a number of results posted on this board and on top doc web sites that received great acclaim for their density, which my non-ht enthusiast friends and acquaintances have reacted negatively to: E.g., "What's going on with his hair?" "Is he wearing a wig?"

One thing to keep in mind is that this fellow now cuts his hair very, very short (and looks great doing it), which always makes transplanted hair appear less dense. If he were to grow his hair out longer, the illusion of density would be greater. But why should he? Most of us would kill at his age and hair loss starting point to look this great with a closely cropped hair style. If he had gone FUT, he might have gotten a bit more density but he could not have worn the short hair style that he wanted. Besides, would he look as good as he does now if he had gone the more conventional route for the sake of greater density, i.e., a higher, more receded hair line, without aggressive work to temple points and peaks? In this fellow's case, I don't think so.

Cosmetic appeal is, of course, subjective. Personally, I think this result was a home run for doctor and patient.

• 2 weeks later...

Abbie, can you please clarify the longevity of nape hair as I have read in various areas of the forums questioning it and Dr. Umar's use of it. I guess it is best a medical professional clarifies this issue so that there isn't much confusion. Some say it will fall like DHT prone hair in the future as we age. Can Dr. Umar confirm this phenomenon by a couple of photos of the nape area of his Senior/older patients prior to extractions? Preferably zoomed in photos and zoomed out. I want to know the correct answer to this as it is being mentioned quite a bit and some were really negative about it. Has any of the doctor's patients had any issues with using it? If there is a risk of nape hair use, does Dr. Umar gaurantee his patients nape hair placement long term, if there is such an issue? I know he helps his patients no matter what but would his gaurantee still stand long term for nape hair worries long term as it will confirm his confidence in it? Please clarify as I want to know the truth and value of the nape as I got plenty of it and can possibly consider it in the future if needed. Thank you.

For me nape hairs are far too much of a risk Abbie you're right nape hairs being thin are ideal for hairlines if they stay the same but you've got to ask your self why are they thin to begin with and is it worth putting any hairs with a question mark of doubt to their longevity bang smack in the front of the hairline I think not.

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

I very much doubt it was $8 per graft. With that many, on a sliding scale it would be less than half of that, but the States and Europe are considerably more expensive than other places like India or Turkey.

Interested in reading about "9,000 in one session". I posted the other day that the HT surgeon i used stated that 5,000 is the upper limit for FUE in 1 session and she rarely goes over 4,000 and got comments back sating 2,000 should be the limit for good yield.

However, this figure of 9,000 in one session blows that out of the water!

All the guy needs now is aye bag removal and an eye lid lift and he'll be a different man all together :)

Rob

2800 FUE, Istanbul

S2 lol so basically he should sort his face out.

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

Ha ha, no bonkerstonker, I didn't mean it like that, I just meant that it's such a great transformation and taken years off him, he could go further.

It's next on my list, which must mean I need my face sorting out ;)

Rob

2800 FUE, Istanbul

Hello again all. Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to this! Here is a link to a thread which prompted similar questioning about nape hair.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/163754-hairline-restoration-2500-fue-head-nape-grafts-%96-dr-sanusi-umar.html

I am copy/pasting the response that was posted directly by Dr. Umar on that thread:

For most individuals, nape hair* is more DHT resistant than the hair in the area of baldness. In other words, nape hair is not necessarily lost in all cases of MPB. What more? The safe donor area (SDA) is functionally the area bordering the fringe of hair that would be left in a terminally bald person. (NW7+). yet we know that the majority of individuals do not experience this degree of baldness.

The role of nape hair has hitherto been defined by

1. The notion that it is generally DHT susceptible

2. It is not typically an area subject to harvest given the limitations of the strip harvesting methods available.

The second factor has been cancelled by the advent of FUE. Since then nape and temple hair (donor areas outside the SDA) have been widely used in successful repairs of strip-donor- depleted patients. These would be patients whose capacity for further strip surgeries has been exhausted. It is the extension of these experiences with repairs that opened the prospect of using nape hair as the vanguard hair of transplanted hairlines. Obviously, patient selection is key. Using criteria such as the degree of baldness relative to age, visual evidence etc. nape hair can play an important role in hair transplantation.

* For the purpose of this discussion, nape hair use in hairline and temple creation refers to hair in the area below the SDA including areas around the ears.

Representing Dr. Umar of DermHair Clinic.

Dr. Umar is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

For those wanting a different perspective on such large FUE sessions it may be wise to read the following respected doctors views on FUE.

Follicular Unit Extraction by Carlos K. Wesley, MD

FUE – Follicular Unit Extraction - Hair Transplants New York / New Jersey, Long Island and International

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.