Just back from Devroye transplant in Belgium

July 4th.

Famous for being Independence Day. The date hadn't even crossed my mind until I arrived at Dr Jean Devroye's clinic. Ten hours later though, the Belgian medic and his fabulous team may well have given me my own form of independence.

The freedom not to wear hats, hair-bands and bandeau's.

Let me start at the beginning. I'm a 43-year-old female who has always had a high forehead. My hairline is (or was) very masculine, with the traditional "M" shape. I got by with the use of hair-bands and such like to cover the temple area. If I'm honest though, my receding temple area always bugged me.

So I decided to investigate hair-transplants. For me, it's a topic I've always regarded as being a little bit dodgy. Internet horror stories of people left with ugly scars, or paying a fortune for a very patchy result.

I researched for two years, and eventually decided on Dr Devroye. Why? I can't say for sure. He certainly has plenty of positive testimonials on the internet, along with photographic evidence of his work. But then, so do others.

My choice was partly gut instinct, and certainly a small leap of faith.

I met with Dr Devroye for the first time at 6pm on July 3rd. He examined my hair, and I was delighted to hear I had good laxity. The exercises must have paid off!

Dr Devroye than drew an approximate hairline and asked if I would be happy. I said yes.

The following day I was extremely nervous. I hadn't been able to sleep, and I very briefly even considered just not turning up!

However, I did, and at this point in time, I think I made the right choice.

The day started at 8:00am. Dr Devroye once again drew a hairline, but being a perfectionist, thought he could do better. I would guess he spent about 20-30 minutes sketching the outline, and I have to say I was absolutely delighted with the area he was aiming to fill.

He even asked one of the female assistants to raise her fringe, so he could copy the outline.

Next step was the anaesthetic. A job performed by Anthony, or Anthony Anaesthetic as I now think of him. Let me say at this point I HATE needles. However, my fears were unfounded.

Five or so jabs in the area where the strip would be taken and I was completely numb. I didn't feel any real discomfort and can honestly say the jabs at a dentist are worse.

At this point I was face down in the chair, and Dr Devroye began removing the strip. Again, I didn't feel anything, though the sounds were a little bit odd. Similar to corrugated cardboard being ripped. Totally painless though.

I was then stapled up and stitched while the strip was taken away. Anthony Aneasthetic told me it looked to him about 3,000 grafts worth, so I was absolutely delighted.

A quick break and then Anthony Anaesthetic got out his needle again. This time, he was going to numb the temples. Again, my research told me that most people report this bit not being very pleasant.

While it did sting a little, it certainly wasn't agony. Very quick and all over in a few seconds. Excellent!

Dr Devroye then spent quite a while making incisions for the hairs to sit in. I could feel him touching my head, but there was absolutely no sensation of pain.

Time for lunch. I was able to get out the chair, and ate a salmon and pasta dinner provided by the clinic, chatting to Dr Devroye and his staff.

In the afternoon, the grafts were ready. At this point, three ladies working in different combinations began the painstaking work of placing the grafts in the incisions. I was amazed at their patience.

I began thinking about how I might look and I began to cry. Not through pain. I didn't feel any real pain all day. I was weeping because the stress of worrying about my hair for years could now be over. If everything went to plan, I could be independent of the hats and hair-bands.

When the final one was in place, I was told that the strip had provided 3643 grafts or 7636 hairs.

I was given instructions on how to care for my new hair, and returned to the hotel. I didn't take any painkillers, just the anti-biotic's and anti-inflammatory medicine provided by Dr Devroye.

I had a slight throbbing headache, and my forehead did swell, but considering the amount of work that had been carried out, I was amazed the discomfort wasn't greater.

After sleeping on and off propped up during the night, I returned to the clinic to have the staples removed. The staff washed my hair and we said our goodbyes.

I only ever say what I see. Hand on heart I can tell you that everyone at the clinic looked after me during the day, and I always felt that I was in safe hands. Everyone was very friendly and sympathetic.

The proof of the pudding, as we say in England, is in the end result. I'll keep up the posts over the next year so you can see how I progress.

IndigoBlue x

P1010920.jpg.a0ebe6a257429d7e90cba06c494d6603.jpg

P1010923.jpg.a1768e840bb25bdad72fc4b9f2e8fd20.jpg

P1010922.jpg.141179b53b8f470b3c452ff94f45d4bf.jpg

Edited by IndigoBlue
typo

I am a big fan of Dr. Devroye. He is excellent! You will be looking great by this time next year.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Hello Indigoblue,

I wanted you to wirte a pn but i didnt find out how this works here so let me first congratulate you for your hairtransplant. ;)

I am a 25 year old woman from Germany. I am having temples since I was born and after I got ill and I had a medication for years my hair got thinner. I have no bald spots but the temples are not as much hidden than they were with thicker hair. But I think you will understand me when I am tellingl you how frustrating it is when you are always trying to cover it. Going swimming or doing some other sport always with thoughts in your head that hopefully no one sees your temples. I can say by myself that I am definitely no ugly woman and when I am going out and I am styled i wear my hair open and many men look at me and they are flirting but I am pushing them away because I am afraid to show my vulnerable side. I cant conceive how to live whit somebody. taking a shower without covering my head when the hair is wet oder something like that. So i decided to make a hairtransplant. And till now Dr devroye seems very sympathic. I wanted you to ask if we both can stay in contact and you can tell me something about the results that you see each month. The latest date I can have a transplantation would be January because I am not at Europe at this time. How much did you pay?

Hope to hear from you soon :) and thanks for posting

Hi Albine,

Thanks for the message. I recognise myself in a lot of what you have written. I am considered attractive, and because I've got used to styling my hair in a certain way or wearing hair-bands etc, guys were never aware of my receding temples. However, I was aware of it - and that's what matters.

I'm sure they guys on here have a similar problem.

In terms of cost, it all depends on how many grafts you require to fill the area you are unhappy with. I would suggest you take a few brutally honest photos with your hair pulled back. One from the front, one from your left and right, and one from above.

Then send them through to your surgeon of choice and see what quote he comes back with.

It'd be lovely to stay in touch. My email is jcw91@hotmail.co.uk

xx

Hello again indigoblue,

Thanks for fast answering :) i would really love to stay in contact. I hope you transplants will grow soon.

I will send you a message tomorrow. then u have my email adress too. I will be very happy about any adivces, information or result dates.

Perhaps u are one of the woman who have had a hairtransplant and provides us other still suffering with hopefully nice results by her own. Because I have never red a blog from woman transplants

Have a nice day indigo blue

I returned to work on the fifth day after my transplant, wearing a bandana. I explained I had experienced a bad reaction to a hair dye to explain the slight redness. It's now day seven and all the swelling has gone.

The incisions remain really clean and virtually scab free. My new hair feels like a one week old beard!

Edited by IndigoBlue
Typo

Very interesting Indigo. Your procedure and the care taken with you before surgery is a good benchmark for anyone else considering a hair transplant. Keep us all up to date and just be patient with your new hair. That is the hardest part. Well done for choosing a good surgeon.

IndigoBlue,

Thanks for taking the time to share your hair transplant experience and photos with us. As you already know, Dr. Devroye has a well-deserved reputation for excellence. Your work looks stellar and I think you can say goodbye to those " hats, hair-bands and bandeau's".

Please continue to keep us updated on your progress.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Hi Slickers,

Unfortunately I don't have any pre-op photos in my possession at the moment. However, Dr Devroye did take some as part of his normal routine. Once he has past them on I'll stick them up.

Essentially though, the area he covered can be seen in the first, head-on pic. It was both recessed temples, and the same breadth and amount of incisions in the forelock (though not so clear due to my existing hair).

IGB thanks for the reply. You looks like you had serious loss in the temples, much more pronounced that I've ever seen in a woman before but that may in part be down to the recepient being shaved and the Doc working back into your hairline hence interested to see your pre op pics.

Anyhow, the work looks great and I've been impressed with what I've seen from Devroye's work. Good growing. Please keep updating

Ten days on from the surgery and this is what my scalp currently looks like. All the redness and swelling has gone. I have resumed using my regular shampoo and conditioner. The grafts feel completely part of me.

Just to make clear from my earlier photos. Dr Devroye did cut in slightly to my existing hair, something which was necessary to plant the grafts which will improve my density across the front top of my head - hopefully!

My stitches are removed in two days time.

P1010934-001.JPG.738731c0da9a45696e8d4f4ce167ffd5.JPG

P1010932-001.JPG.041e05c938358edd5f56fcba38c77408.JPG

P1010937-001.JPG.171a8071a19dcf1b9371d3d72165f740.JPG

Edited by IndigoBlue
photo

I don't know whether it's an optical illusion or I'm kidding myself, but the grafts seem to have grown slightly. My camera doesn't show it so well, but they certainly seem longer than the day after surgery.

Having checked today, the grafts are definitely longer than when they went in. Is this a good sign?

I know that from the two week stage (where I am now) the new grafts should start to shed.

Thanks,

Indigo

Having checked today, the grafts are definitely longer than when they went in. Is this a good sign?

I know that from the two week stage (where I am now) the new grafts should start to shed.

Thanks,

Indigo

I wouldnt read too much into it.

Try not to over analyse at this stage. It's really early days and you've got a long way to go before you start seeing the results take shape.

You've chosen a reputable doc and the work looks top notch. Just be patient :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Slickers,

I could take a pic, but having the roots done on my existing hair isn't something that's visually different from my recent photos. It's just the 1/2 inch of regrow near the roots of the hair I already have.

Hi Albine,

Hope you are keeping well :-)

I'm good friends with my hairdresser, so I had already told her that I was going for surgery.

I would guess that 80% of the grafts at the front have mostly shed now, though a few seem to still be growing.

I think I'm at the stage where a couple of months now need to pass before there's any noticeable difference in appearance.

If there are any signs of growth, I'll stick a piccy up! :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Seven weeks on and definite new hair spotted!!!

Very fine and grey (haha) but new hair none the less. I know it's not old hair regrowing, because it's in an area of the temple which was bald.

I'll attempt to add a photo to this post at the weekend :)